PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping outside and Salt!!

grindal
02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi all
Started with a new 10 month old mindee yesterday. Lovely little girl with 2 very doting parents!! She loves to be held, hates being put down, and only sleeps outside in the daytime! The sleeping outside thing concerns me, she is upstairs in the travel cot at the mo - screaming. She has not slept all day and is rubbing her eyes and falling asleep on me. If I go in and pick her up she will go all dozy again, until i put her down, then she will scream again. I could put her outside in a pushchair - but there is literally no shade in our garden. Should I persevere inside? What would OFSTED make of a baby in a pushchair outside?
Anyway, 2nd point, her mum made her some food today and when I checked the temp I was surprised at how salty it was. Should I mention this to her mum? I wonder if it is a cultural thing as her mum is czech :blush: :blush:
Any advise from more experienced minders would be great

Bananabrain
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm sure it is fine for babies to sleep outside as long as they are:monitored,away from cats and in the shade.

I think Ofsted's main concern would be that the baby was safe i.e not in front of the house but in the back garden with all access points locked.

As to the salt thing, I've always taken the view that I advocate healthy eating{not to the point of ridiculous though} and my mindees are always given healthy food when I supply the food.
I'm not sure that it's my place to dictate what other parents do.
If they send it,I feed it!!!!
Otherwise I think I would constantly be telling my parents off! some off them are hopeless:laughing:
I know that alot of what goes on in my mindees homes is not what I'd necessarily do, and if they put their children in inappropriate clothing,feed them inappropriate food etc.Well it's up to them.
I'm sure someone will come along with a different view though!

fionamal
02-06-2009, 12:51 PM
The 20month old I have sleeps in his buggy out in the back garden , he is safe in the pram and always in the shade or waterproof over him when wet, he wont sleep otherwise and he asks for the buggy when tired.

sarah707
02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Salt is not allowed in schools, not on tables to be added to food or in cooking.

These are the kinds of things I worry about in the future. A child who eats excess salt now can have damaged kidneys and other organ functions in later life.

There is a Govt booklet about salt you could maybe share with parents along with other healthy eating literature you might collect at your local children's centre... iyswim.

Hth :D

The Juggler
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
As to the salt thing, I've always taken the view that I advocate healthy eating{not to the point of ridiculous though} and my mindees are always given healthy food when I supply the food.
I'm not sure that it's my place to dictate what other parents do.
If they send it,I feed it!!!!
Otherwise I think I would constantly be telling my parents off! some off them are hopeless:laughing:
I know that alot of what goes on in my mindees homes is not what I'd necessarily do, and if they put their children in inappropriate clothing,feed them inappropriate food etc.Well it's up to them.
I'm sure someone will come along with a different view though![/QUOTE]

Thing is, salt can be very dangerous in children so young. But I agree difficult subject to broach with parents. However, they might be unaware of that fact in which case it's no different to any other aspect of our parent education role - I am sure they'd hate to do something that they were unaware would harm baby.

Maybe say it tasted really nice when you tested it, what was in it. Then have a little conversation, then drop in about salt levels and babies? Sorry not too much help but if it was really salty I would want to mention it.

Pedagog
02-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Why not put travel cot outside, and put a blanket across to provide shade, we are lucky in that we have lots of trees. Little ones often sleep outside for me.

TheBTeam
02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Just a suggestion you could put the baby under a big umbrella in the coolest part of the garden to sleep, i would be wary if your garden was a place that attracted lots of cats, but if not then i would be just monitor or put in sight of where you are in the house.

Not so sure what you should do with the salt thing, i would want to mention something as salt is obviously dangerous to babies, could you mention that you like to be aware of the levels of salt/sugar etc used in any food that they supply as obviously in any quantity these are not suitable for children and you when you supply snacks like to balance what they are eating with any food provided.

grindal
02-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies - she did eventually settle upstairs - its gonna be quite difficult to check her outside cos of the organisation of our house and the arrangements for the other children - she is OK in the morning - more shade. Anyway, interesting perspectives on the salt issue! I think I will wait and see if it was just a one off thing and then review :blush:

RainbowMum
02-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I would say if you feel your outside isn't suitable persevere - put her down to sleep upstairs & do the same thing every time - leave 10mins between going in & then just pat on bum & shh her, donr pick her up. I find mindees cotton on quite quick & I've had 2 that were likethis to start with, both sleep lovely now!

ORKSIE
02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Firstly I personally would not put a baby to sleep outside, I would be concerned for its safety, But TMO, secondly if you can taste salt in the childs food then advise the mother, I did this once cos I could taste salt in the childs food, Mum didnt realise and stopped adding salt:thumbsup:

grindal
02-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks again
I am happy with her being outside in the morning - although most days we are out anyway in the morning so it is not really an issue, but in the afternoon my DS1 rests on the sofa in our back room, which means I cannot see her unless I go into the back room which disturbs him. Also as I have said before there is no shade - so I think I will keep going with her upstairs with the baby monitor. I did not mention the salt tonight, but will see what future foods are like.
Good advise as ever :D

Chatterbox Childcare
02-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the replies - she did eventually settle upstairs - its gonna be quite difficult to check her outside cos of the organisation of our house and the arrangements for the other children - she is OK in the morning - more shade. Anyway, interesting perspectives on the salt issue! I think I will wait and see if it was just a one off thing and then review :blush:

She will settle eventually. You have her at a very difficult age as she knows what is going on. Maybe she was over tired, so try putting her down a bit earlier. After a week she should get used to your routine.

flora
03-06-2009, 08:58 AM
My dd would only sleep outside and so we bought a lovely silver cross big pram for her . She had shade and a cat net and we checked on her frequently. She slepty outside in all weathers even snow.

She is now a happy lively three year old.

So I would take all reasonable precautions and let the lo sleep where they are hapiest.

I would hate to think how hannah would have been with no sleep :panic: as she screamed if you put her down indoors during the day.

As to the salt, just have a gentle word with mum, she may not have realised :thumbsup:

Good luck xxx

mandy moo
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
My dd would only sleep outside and so we bought a lovely silver cross big pram for her . She had shade and a cat net and we checked on her frequently. She slepty outside in all weathers even snow.

She is now a happy lively three year old.

So I would take all reasonable precautions and let the lo sleep where they are hapiest.

I would hate to think how hannah would have been with no sleep :panic: as she screamed if you put her down indoors during the day.

As to the salt, just have a gentle word with mum, she may not have realised :thumbsup:

Good luck xxx

Same as my 22 mth old mindee, when hes at his house, he sleeps out side in all weather :)

When hes here, he sleeps in the travel cot, with a baby monitor, it took a while, he cried and cried, but I persevered as I felt it was the safest place for him to be.

Good luck:)

As for the salt issue, I would wait and see what the next lot of food is like,
then if you still feel its too salty, have a gentle word, as has been said she may not realise..

grindal
03-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for that Mandy moo - I really do not feel she is safe being left outside in my home and location.