PDA

View Full Version : Sun cream and late payment

twiggy
02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm having a bad week being messed around by parents. Out of 5 parents only 2 have paid me on time. All my contracts state money should be cleared in my account by 1st of the month. Am I being unfair if I charge a £10 late payment fee. Out of the 3 unpaid bills, one is payment a month in advance so can I justify making a late payment charge to this parent. I'm sure they would all be very upset if they didn't get their wages on time!

Also have had a child turn up for the second day without suncream. I don't mind using my daughters suncream on the odd day but for £3 an hour don't see why I should supply it all the time. I am thinking of buying a bottle and then adding it to the parents bill, what would everyone else do?

Polly2
02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi
If you have a late payment fee stated in contract then there is no reason why you should not enforce it - like you say parents would not like it if their money was late.

As for suncream I do offer to supply it if parents wish but lots of my parents prefer to send their own anyway.
If you would prefer parents to supply then why not mention it in next newsletter or have a chat with particular parent...if you are brave :) :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Quick - bang out a newsletter right now to the effect of:

Late Payments:

Like you I work to earn money to provide for my family. If your wages were late I am sure it would affect many things such as food shopping and bill payments.
I am aware that we are all experiencing hard times and if you are experieicing genuine difficulties, please do not hesitate to discuss payments with me.

Please find attached a copy of my payment policy - as stated payment is expected on/by the 1st of the month.
I regret that due to several late payments I have no choice from July I will be implementing a £10 per day (or how ever much) late payment fee - which will be added to your bill should payment for contracted services are not made on time.

SUNCREAM -
Please supply your child with a hat and suncream in this weather.

Word to that effect - if you do it in a newsletter then it is not aimed at anyone in particular.

georgie456
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Quick - bang out a newsletter right now to the effect of:

Late Payments:

Like you I work to earn money to provide for my family. If your wages were late I am sure it would affect many things such as food shopping and bill payments.
I am aware that we are all experiencing hard times and if you are experieicing genuine difficulties, please do not hesitate to discuss payments with me.

Please find attached a copy of my payment policy - as stated payment is expected on/by the 1st of the month.
I regret that due to several late payments I have no choice from July I will be implementing a £10 per day (or how ever much) late payment fee - which will be added to your bill should payment for contracted services are not made on time.

SUNCREAM -
Please supply your child with a hat and suncream in this weather.

Word to that effect - if you do it in a newsletter then it is not aimed at anyone in particular.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say!!! I have found my newsletter invaluable for getting these kind of messages across :D

twiggy
02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Thank you for your advice. I will definately do a newsletter. With regards the sun cream it states in my contract that parents must supply suncream, however a lot don't and seem happy for me to supply it (until now at no additional cost). They just forget to put it in the bag!

FizzysFriends
02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Non of my parents remember to bring sun cream :angry: I even texted Thursday night to let moms know that we were doing out the day Friday so they will be needing it along with hats/caps and suitable clothing, they didn't bring cream, they didn't have it on already and no hats :angry:

HELEN10
02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi i would definitely charge a late payment fee they won't want to pay that too often so hopefully will solve it.

As for suncream and hats, would no way buy suncream for my house as each child has whatever suits them and i have one child who is allergic to some creams and anyway its not up to us to supply it! Would not accept a child with no hat or suncream on anyway they would have to go home and fetch it! It would be neglect for us to take them out without in this heat!

Erika
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Whether or not payment is in advance doesn't come into it, so long as it's stated in the contract that payment is on advance.

If payment is expected by a certain day and is not forthcoming on that date, then it is a late payment.

mushpea
02-06-2009, 07:13 PM
in the first hot spell the parents 'forgot' the sun cream, when they collected the children on the first day i politly reminded them they needed to supply suncream as i was unalbe to allow the children in the garden as they had no suncream to wear, i also pointed out that my own childrens sun cream goes to school with them so i have no spare at home.
if a child comes in future with no cream then i will either ask the parent to go get it or ask them to sign a form to say that they are happy for their child not wear cream when out and make sure the child dosent play in the garden all day.
I refuse to put my own kids cream on as my son suffers excema and has to have expensive stuff which he does take with him to school.

Mollymop
02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
It makes me cross about suncream. I looked after siblings last summer and their mum never sent any suncream no matter how many times I asked.

The older girl even told me that mum said "no!" when she asked for a bottle of suncream while they were out shopping.

Suncream is expensive and i was mad about having to use my own just because mum didn't want to fork out for it.

If I didn't care for the children I woudn't even apply my own, but what can you do?

Maybe you should ask over and over, like I did, you might get more joy!
Summer has only just started

FizzysFriends
02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi i would definitely charge a late payment fee they won't want to pay that too often so hopefully will solve it.

As for suncream and hats, would no way buy suncream for my house as each child has whatever suits them and i have one child who is allergic to some creams and anyway its not up to us to supply it! Would not accept a child with no hat or suncream on anyway they would have to go home and fetch it! It would be neglect for us to take them out without in this heat!

I don't think you can refuse a child for not wearing sun screen, if you refuse a child (unless ill) can't they sue you for parents loss of earnings?

mushpea
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
i am sure they would be quick enough to sue you if you didnt apply suncream and the child suffered as a result
have been thinking, what about a letter to say that if suncream is not supplied then you will purchase a bottle and add it to their invoice, this cream will then be used only for that particular child so should the child have any allergies could they please let you know before hand.

make sure this letter goes out with policys and it is one they sign for then they cant argue.

Twinkles
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I prefer to ask parents for a contribution towards a shared bottle of suncream ( tesco's own is not expensive ) as I'd rather just be responsible for one bottle not six ! I also have a bag of sunhats ( bought from jumble sales ) that I would rather use than the childrens own as it doesn't matter so much if they get lost on walks, chewed by the dog, thrown in the paddling pool etc.

Pipsqueak
02-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I prefer to ask parents for a contribution towards a shared bottle of suncream ( tesco's own is not expensive ) as I'd rather just be responsible for one bottle not six ! I also have a bag of sunhats ( bought from jumble sales ) that I would rather use than the childrens own as it doesn't matter so much if they get lost on walks, chewed by the dog, thrown in the paddling pool etc.

I do this - have a shared bottle of high factor cream and a selection of hats and long sleeved t's for kids.

youarewhatyoueat
02-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Thats what I do, and just get the parent's to sign. Tesco's is £3 a bottle and I have a huge selection of hats and gloves bought for about 50p each from end of season sales.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-06-2009, 09:53 PM

If you buy it and there is a reaction who is repsonsible? The parents must get it. I asked a parent to go home and bring the bottle back and she said "I don't have any" so I asked her to go and buy some, funny she found it at home.

HELEN10
03-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Agree with you debbie parent should def go home and get it! No way would i make a child stay in because his/her parent forgot cream and anyway what if we had a picnic in park planned etc!!

Hardly think we would be sued though for not allowing them to attend!

FizzysFriends
03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Agree with you debbie parent should def go home and get it! No way would i make a child stay in because his/her parent forgot cream and anyway what if we had a picnic in park planned etc!!

Hardly think we would be sued though for not allowing them to attend!

no you probably wouldn't but then you can't refuse a child because they aren't wearing sun cream, thats just mad. Some parents don't use it at all and surely thats their choice!

Twinkles
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
If you buy it and there is a reaction who is repsonsible? The parents must get it. I asked a parent to go home and bring the bottle back and she said "I don't have any" so I asked her to go and buy some, funny she found it at home.

I always ask the parents to sign a permission form to use my suncream and do a test spot on the child.

Lady Haha
03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh dear, yet another permission form!! the parents are gonna love me!

I have bought two bottles of Asda high factor sun cream (2 for a fiver!) and put in my newsletter that I will apply this to their children, but if they would prefer to provide their own, then to let me know. As said before, I would rather just have the one bottle and the kids all lined up ready to be creamed up, than have to go fishing round for individual bottles!

Do I really need to get them to sign something to say they agree to me applying my own cream?