View Full Version : Moving from Scotland to England?

02-06-2009, 08:58 AM
My query is really on behalf of my brother-in-law. He is thinking of moving back to England and starting up as a childminder, after schools only! They don't plan to actually move for at least a year so the questions are:
Should he begin the process up here or wait till he gets down to England?
If he went through and got registered up here, how would he go about changing over and how long will it take? Do you have to start again from scratch?
CRB checks - he worked on ships for 8 years and has lived back here for the last 4 years. I think this will prolong the process which is why they might be better to start the ball rolling now.
If anyone can give any guidance it would be much appreciated.


02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
When he moves to England he will have to do the whole registration process again including courses again. I moved from England to Wales and had been a minder for years and it took 11 months to re-register with CSSIW. If I decide to move back to England I would have to re-register totally again and do all the pre-reg courses again.

OFSTED will probably want a new CRB check done with the registration - although this does seem to vary between areas

Pudding Girl
02-06-2009, 09:56 AM
if he concerntrated on over 8s and went on the voluntary one then could be a faster way to starting his business as wouldn't need registering?

No point startuing while in Scotland as the two are entirely diff and would need to do again in England.

02-06-2009, 05:17 PM
If he goes on the voluntary register for over 8s he will need qualifications!

Most areas won't let you apply to Ofsted or get a CRB until AFTER you have done your ICP course... so there's no benefit to him rushing until he knows where he is going to be living as he will need an address to get on a course.

Here's a list of the things you need to do to get registered, I think it's pretty much up to date -


Hth :D