PDA

View Full Version : Piriton-am I allowed to administer?

youarewhatyoueat
01-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Got a parent coming at 9am with 14 month old mindee with prickly heat, she's coming with a bottle of piriton and i'm not sure as it's not prescribed whether i'm allowed to administer it or whether it's like calpol which can be given with parental permission.Caroline

sarah707
01-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Yes you are!

Ask parents when she last had it and write it down so you know you are not overdosing.

Get parents to sign to say you can give it... and sign again at the end of the day.

Piriton is usually a once a day dosage though so why she's coming with it I'm not sure... couldn't parents just give it in the morning?

It's also a very drowsy medication so she might be more tired than usual.

Hth :D

ORKSIE
01-06-2009, 07:33 AM
You should have a medication form.
Write down the name of the medication.
What dose is.
when last taken at home. and Dose
when you give and dose
You sign, date
Mum Sign and date.
You should sign for every dose yoy give.
Mum then signs again at end of day.

I use MM medication forms:thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
01-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks, will do as normally do with calpol etc.

Pipsqueak
01-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Like the ladies above say!

I think the kids piriton is a readministerable one every 4-6 hours though Sarah. Even the kids one (with a kids dose) knocks me out big time.

Zoomie
01-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Prickly heat ???? googled it and it is heat rash ......

as far as i know piriton is more for allergies so I wouldn't be keen on giving it. I come from SA which has very hot weather and we never gave this type of medicine for this.

The key, afaik is to keep LOs cool so they they do not sweat (too much)

if the rash is annoying i would be inclined to apply calamine lotion.

Sorry, just my own opinion.

CCJD
01-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Both myself and my daughter get prickly heat in very humid weather and it can be particularly itchy for my daughter. We have always used piriton which completely cures it. Piriton isnt only just used for allergys, it can calm a whole number of itchy skin conditions down and was also a true life saver when my daughter had the worst case of chicken pox I had ever seen - local chemist (who is one of those real gems) advised it and he was right!!

Only thing now is that chemists are no longer allowed to sell it, along with cough medicines and a whole range of children's over the counter medicines I think, for use on children under 6. I think it's due to some parents overdosing. You can however still buy these off the shelf in supermarkets and the bottles still have under 6 years old dosages on them so I dont know if this really has any affect on us adminstering providing we have written permission to do so.

Fortunately my youngest is now 6 so I dont have to endure endless sleepless nights of hacking coughs or itching skin without something to help them.