PDA

View Full Version : Taking babies to doctors

liya
31-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi, I wonder if any one can Advice me please

I have been asked few times to take a 2 month old baby for her immunisation, and to see a doctor for a miner illness like a cold etc. I don’t mined doing this as a one off or as an emergency, not sure if this is within my remit. I am worried if something happens I get the blame and don’t feel comfortable with it. All I wanted to know is, If this is parents responsibility or we can get involved in this sort of situation? Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Pipsqueak
31-05-2009, 05:44 PM
We can do this providing we have written permission from parents.
I would go one step futher and get the parents to sign a waiver stating that you are only taking the child to the docs/ health visitor and you are not responsible for any complications that may arise from vaccinations etc.

If you are not comfortable with it then don't do it - you can always tell the parent that you would prefer not to do this or that we are not allowed/your insurance doesn't cover you to do this.

FizzysFriends
31-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I took my friends son for a jab once and the nurse asked for proof his mom had asked me to do it and then said she would do it as a one off and wouldn't let me take him again as it should be the parent and only the parent taking the child. Might have just been a mardy nurse though.

ORKSIE
31-05-2009, 06:05 PM
In all my time in CM I have never been asked to take a dhild to GP:)

huggableshelly
31-05-2009, 06:21 PM
personally I would say no ....

parents should take their own children for appointments, my role as a cm is to seek emergancy medical help only not do routine appointments and definatly not vaccinations.

BUT it is up to you ... just make sure your insurance covers you.

christine e
31-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't do this

Cx

Mrs.L.C
31-05-2009, 06:27 PM
It would depend on what other children I had with me. I wouldnt fancy taking 3 under 5's for an appointment.

I have recently taken a child to the doc to get some spots checked out but I only had that 1 child and I had no problem doing it -I didnt even have to be asked, I just automaticaly offered but I have formed a very good relationship with the family

I think its down to personal choice and practicality

For immunisations, I would advice having something in writing from the parent but as this can be quite distressing for some babies, I advice the parent should take them for this

sarah707
31-05-2009, 06:43 PM
It's the parents job to take their child to the docs, not ours.

I would say no.

beckyteddy
31-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Tricky one really..........a nanny probably would be expected to take little ones for doc's appointments and imms. but a member of nursery staff definatley wouldn't.........where do we fall in-between?

I think it has to be a personal decision based on the individual child and family and minder. I probably would do it if I felt comfortable in the individual circumstances, but it is a shame that the parent didn't feel it was important enough for them to go themselves

georgie456
31-05-2009, 07:12 PM
In all my time in CM I have never been asked to take a dhild to GP:)

Especially for immunisations :eek: I wouldn't do this I'm afraid.

her8y
31-05-2009, 07:12 PM
My mindees doctors surgery wont give immunisations unless a parent is present.

Chatterbox Childcare
31-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Well I am the odd one out then. I looked after a mindee for 5 years and mum asked me to take her for her school vaccs which I did. The mum was really nervous and I agreed and there was no problems. Why would I be responsible if the vaccs went wrong, I didn't administer it and I went with parental consent? I also do drop ins at the baby clinic and get them weighed.

Aren't we supposed to be a home from home environment so why not?

tammerisk
31-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Well I am the odd one out then. I looked after a mindee for 5 years and mum asked me to take her for her school vaccs which I did. The mum was really nervous and I agreed and there was no problems. Why would I be responsible if the vaccs went wrong, I didn't administer it and I went with parental consent? I also do drop ins at the baby clinic and get them weighed.

i do this to as i have a little one my self that needs weighting i would offer to do it for other that i had if need be and i have taken child to imms with parents consent as she couldn't get the time off work

westbrom44
31-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I have taken a child to have his vaccinations as his mother felt very nervous about it and used to get quite upset.
We checked with the Doctor's surgery and was told that as long as I had a covering letter to say that the parent allowed me to do this it was fine.
I never had a problem with it and even took two other minded children with me. They were fine and were fascinated by the many fish swimming in a fishtank, which was quite large.
The nurse was very impressed with how well behaved all the children were.

liya
31-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Initially I didn’t mined as the mum was going back to work after a short maternity leave, and thought she did not want to ask for a time off straight away, but last Friday she said “ can you take her on Wednesday to get weight” not even please or if I don’t mind taking her, it seemed to me as if this is my job and have to do it. Baby also has her 3rd vaccinations in three weeks time and I’m sure I will be expected to take her then.

Thanks every one for your quack replies.

westbrom44
31-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry, and I also have taken babies to be weighed at the local health centre.

I cant see any problem with it.

Alibali
31-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I have taken one of my mindees for 2 lots of immunisations, only boosters though not first doses. Mum phoned HV to inform her and also wrote a letter for HV and one for me giving consent and taking responsibility for side effects. Never had a problem though, she was just as happy to be comforted by me.

loocyloo
31-05-2009, 08:48 PM
i haven't had to take minded children for jabs, but used to take babe to HV clinic to be weighed etc. i had signed parental permission to do so, and also to discuss any concerns mum had with the HV, who would then phone mum if she felt she needed to, to discuss further.

i do think i was helped by having a lovely HV at local surgery, (and she was my DD HV too!) i don't think the previous HV would have been so accomodating :rolleyes:

i do know that if anyone other than the parent takes a child for a jab at our surgery, they have to have signed permission.

claireLouise
01-06-2009, 12:12 AM

I agree as a home fro home establishment we are here to support the parents. The appoinment card you receive from the NHS has a form parents need to complete and sign authorising you to take the child - so as it is part of the appoinmenty card I expect this happens qyuite frequently. I took my youngets mindee for a jab last week , MMR in a months time.

I also asked if my youngest child's mum would like me to take her baby to the weight in clinic, she declined the offer.

Not sure I would take them to the doctors though, as I do not accept ill children, so unless the child fell ill in my care or was well enough to attend (then not needing to see a Doctor), I do agree this is out with our remit.

Kind Regards

Claire

Pedagog
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I took all 4 of my friends children for all of their immunisations as she was terrified of needles. So I would take a little one happily.

Polly2
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I would do it providing I have written permission and depending on what other mindees I had.

I have also offered to go along with mum and hold baby if she is nervous.