PDA

View Full Version : beating myself up over this!!!!!!

chubbymummy
13-02-2008, 10:37 PM
today i had a child who was not well and full of cold mum said that to call her if if i needed her to come and get him

he fell asleep at 11.45 and woke at 1.15 (i put his dinner in his bag so i could give it to him when he woke)

we go to toddler group at this time so i put his coat on and went of to toddler group when we arrived he was really upset and had a slight temperature so i called mum and she came to get him straight away at 1.45pm

when i got to school to pick some other children up at 3pm the mum was there to pick up her other child so i went to her and asked how he was. during the conversation she asked what time he had his dinner...........

.........now this is the thing i'm beating myself up about and probably not sleep tonight .............

.......in the handover it went out of my mind to mention that he had not had his dinner and it was in his bag :mad: what a stupid person i am :angry:

so the poor little mite didn't eat dinner. i'm so mad at myself i said sorry about 10 times i even phoned up tonight to see how he was

what can i do to put this right??

i'm so angrey at myself and cross:angry:

Pipsqueak
13-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Don't beat yourself up over this - we are but human and make mistakes. And this sounds like a really genuine mistake.

Perhaps you can write up a (factual!) account of the situation and just pop it in your incident book (get mum to look at it and sign it), it shows you are aware of the situation etc.

How was the mum about it? I reckon if the little lad was hungry then he would have let you know - but when kids are poorly they often don't eat. No harm has been done (blimey I often forget on a Saturday when i am busy cleaning up the house to give the kids lunch!!! ).

You have said sorry, you have berated yourself for it, now put it to one side for the night.

xxx

wendywu
13-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Chubbymummy dont worry we are all human and its not as if you have placed him in any grave danger.

If he was ill he wont have felt like eating anyway. As long as he had plenty to drink. One of my little ones was poorly with a heavy cold recently and i could not get her to eat much at all:thumbsup: and i have her for a 10 hour day. I was even tempting her with quavers and sweets at tea time, but she was not interested.

Rubybubbles
13-02-2008, 11:04 PM
oh hun, do not worry

TBH my first thought was why drop the child off to you saying phone me if he needs to go home therefore clearly noticable he was unwell in the first place:mad:

angeldelight
13-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh dont worry we all make mistakes - you have said sorry I bet mom has rushed out herself sometimes and forget a meal or something - it happens

I know how you feel but you have said sorry I would maybe say something to her face tomorrow and then let it die a death

Angel xx

charleyfarley
13-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Don't beat yourself up over this, sometimes we do forget to tell parents in these circumstances.

Surely though mom would have seen the lunch unopened in the bag??

Carol xx

chubbymummy
13-02-2008, 11:17 PM
thank you everyone for your replies i do feel a bit better having written it down on here

i have taken vicky's advice and wrote out what happend ready for the mum to sign in the morning

thanks again

and angel you are right i did feel sick myself when she asked what time he had his dinner

Tily Bud
13-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Dont worry whats done is done and you are only human after all xxx

Just give a quick account tomorrow then forget about it x

angeldelight
13-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Let us hope your mom is nice like my mom was - she still jokes about it now and I am not bothered - I felt awful at the time though

Good luck and dont worry

Angel xx

Twinkles
13-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Something like this happened to me a couple of years or so ago. One little boy who was dropped off at around lunchtime and sometimes he brought a packed lunch and sometimes he'd already eaten at home. One day he arrived just after I had called the mother of another mindee to come and collect her and take her to Dr's, little one was sobbing with the pain of severe tummy ache - mum arrived and decided to take her to casualty.
I was so worried about the little girl that I didn't check to see if small boy had bought his lunch and his mum didn't say anything as she left him.
She called later that evening to say 'Didn't M want his lunch 'cos I've just opened bag and he hasn't touched it!!'
Boy did I feel bad. I was nearly crying that evening - ' I'm such a useless childminder' ' poor M ' ' his mum will never trust me again'. Needless to say M was fine, M's mum does still trust me and I'm not really useless ...just human as are you. X

sarah707
14-02-2008, 08:25 AM
So many children don't want to eat when they are ill... give yourself a break and move on... :group hug:

miffy
14-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Hope you're OK today Cathy

It was an easy mistake to make and you've done your best to apologise

Everyone is right he probably wouldn't have eaten it anyway

Hope mum is fine with you and you have a better day today

Miffy xx

Banana
14-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with everyone else. It was a simple mistake and its not like you have done anything terrible.

Let it go and I bet the little one wouldnt have even eaten his dinner if you did offer it
x
x

deeb66
14-02-2008, 07:32 PM
As you can see most of us have done this sort of thing in the past.

As everyone has already said...we are human and make mistakes.

AND...as mistakes go this one is quite a small one.....so stop beating yourself up.

Spangles
14-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Try to let it go, it wasn't your fault, these things happen.

The only reason you forgot to mention it is because you were so concerned about the child.

You've apologised and I'm sure the mum understands.

Try not to worry. x