PDA

View Full Version : picnics?

mushpea
31-05-2009, 02:17 PM
hi what sort of food do you take on picnics and do you do sperate lunch boxs or just a help your self type lunch, I was going to get them to pick their lunch from varioius bits and peices but cant think of anything other than the following

strawberries
rasins
mini sausages
sausage rolls
cheese cubes

any ideas gratefull recived...please:idea:

Roseolivia
31-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Sandwiches, grapes, banana, tortilla wraps, oranges, apples

PixiePetal
31-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I take mine packed all together and share it out onto plastic/paper plates when we get it out to eat. Try not to take too many plastic boxes as I don't drive and have to carry it all about after. Best to chuck away as much as possible hence paper plates, also disposable bibs :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
31-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Peppers
Cucumber
Cherry tomatoes
cheese twists

ORKSIE
31-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Strawberries and cream .....for you of course:D

loocyloo
31-05-2009, 02:42 PM
hello!

i tend to take a 'shared' lunch, each child ( and me! ) has own plate! and bottle of water/plastic cups. in big cool bag with lots of ice blocks. sometimes i freeze the water bottles, giving us ice blocks & cold drinks in one!

we take rolls/wraps/sandwiches etc generally, each child requests in advance what they would like, or, as i know favourites, i make those! ham/cheese/jam/marmite are the usual requests!

then i take a selection of carrot/cucumber sticks/peppers/cherry toms/mini corn and lettuce, and whatever other raw stuff i have!

then something from;
cheese/sausages/sausage rolls/chicken bits

a few crisps/cheese crackers/breadsticks

fruit

homemade cake or biscuit

i have also taken instead of rolls, a cold pasta salad with tuna/peas/sweetcorn/cooked green beans and (tin) mixed beans, witha dressing to pour over. this goes down well!

have fun!

x

mushpea
31-05-2009, 02:51 PM
some lovley ideas thanks, when i go out with me and my own two we take a shared lunch and have a sandwich selection box which they eat from then other bits too but wasnt sure wether i would have a big enough tub for all the sandwichs as they all eat rather a lot!!! also i have a couple of fussy ones and one that throws up at lunch time too so thought it better if they all pick what they want in the morning then come lunch time if they change their minds its tough and everyone will get what the want.
what sort of things do you put in the wraps?? have one child that wont eat any kind of sauce so wonded how to top them being dry

loocyloo
31-05-2009, 03:01 PM
my ds hates sauce of any sort, and just has the barest scrapping of butter on his wrap and then ham and sometimes grated cheese. ( can't even do 'spreading' cheese ) !!!

the rest just have whatever they would have in a sandwich, with maybe a little mayo, or ketchup depending upon filling!

x

Pipsqueak
31-05-2009, 03:34 PM
we take a shared help yourself lunch with picnicware:thumbsup:

christine e
31-05-2009, 06:39 PM
We like to make up a pasta salad before we go out. I give each child a plastic box with lid and set out various dishes on the table. Large bowl of cooked and cooled pasta, then things like grated carrot, chopped cucumber, sweetcorn, radishes, chopped ham, chopped chicken,prawns, grated cheese then we have ketchup or mayoniase to bind. I tell the children that they must choose at least one veg and one protein but because they are serving themselves that actually put most things in and often say 'I'll just try a little bit of radish because Im not sure if I like it'. The children are in control of the portion size (no one has ever left home with a box with hardly anything in it) and the contents of the boxes are always eaten up! We sometimes do this with pitta pocket instead of the pasta.

Cx

Hebs
31-05-2009, 07:14 PM
We like to make up a pasta salad before we go out. I give each child a plastic box with lid and set out various dishes on the table. Large bowl of cooked and cooled pasta, then things like grated carrot, chopped cucumber, sweetcorn, radishes, chopped ham, chopped chicken,prawns, grated cheese then we have ketchup or mayoniase to bind. I tell the children that they must choose at least one veg and one protein but because they are serving themselves that actually put most things in and often say 'I'll just try a little bit of radish because Im not sure if I like it'. The children are in control of the portion size (no one has ever left home with a box with hardly anything in it) and the contents of the boxes are always eaten up! We sometimes do this with pitta pocket instead of the pasta.

Cx

that sounds like a FAB idea :idea: thanks :D :thumbsup:

her8y
31-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Cx
:thumbsup: I like this. Will try it with my mindees tomoro:thumbsup:

madasahatter
31-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I think I will try the pasta salad too. I have one mindee who won't eat bread of any kind, says they like sausage rolls but never eats them and eats very little meat/cheese/fish (don't know how she survives on what she does eat but thats children for you). At the moment when we have a picnic I always need to plan in advance to have a flask of homemade soup for her (she won't eat the tinned variety only my homemade (won't eat mums homemeade either)).

I always make up the packed lunch for the little ones but I tend to ask the older ones to bring their own packed lunch (that way they can carry it themselves in their own bag), I usually pack extra water and fruit for them.

Pudding Girl
31-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Normally take a box of sarnies, bag of fruit, box of cakes etc etc but as I have to lug it all with me by foot in future will plate up a paper plate with bit of everything and then clingfilm it all so can just bin it after :clapping:

christine e
01-06-2009, 10:03 AM
:thumbsup: I like this. Will try it with my mindees tomoro:thumbsup:

Remember to take photos and include under Being Healthy as evidence for Ofsted!

Cx