PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone i am new and already need advice please?

princessp73
31-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Hiya i am in a bit of a quandry- my neighbour across the road has passed away and left his adored cat behind. The family can't find a new home and we would love to take her (his last wish was she didn't go into a cat home) -the only problem being one of my minded children is scared of cats/or any animal to be honest, she loves them at a distance but not up close! (she's 3 and half) Myself, husband and daughter (and all the other minded children) love animals. I am torn between being a 'good childminder' by not taking the cat and doing what myself and family really wants to do! please let me know what you think or any ideas! thanx xxx

The Juggler
31-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Welcome to childminding and the forum.

although I'd normally say do what's right for you and the family, I would say you just need to consider whether parent chose you specifically because you do'nt have pets/cats.

Alternatively you could try to persaude them this would help get rid of her fear.

LOL

ORKSIE
31-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi and welcome.
One of my mindees was terrified of my cats, cried when one entered the room. Took about a week os so and he was fine.
He still gives the cats a wide birth but he is ok now.
Hope it works out for you:thumbsup:

haribo
31-05-2009, 04:39 PM
id definetlly take the cat in-it doesnt make you a bad childminder and you would be able to help the lo overcome her fear of animals . cats usually keep their distance anyway i dont think you will have to worry about it jumping on the children like a dog may. you are also honouring your neighbours dying wish which is lovely. the only problem you may have is the cat will find it hard to understand its moved house and will go to its old one over and over for a time. ask the parents opinions and explain you will gently help the child become comfortable with the cat around-if it was my child id be happy for you to take the cat especially if the child doesnt have any pets at home which is often the reason children are afraid of animals. good luck let us know what you decide x

Pipsqueak
31-05-2009, 04:40 PM
hmm thats a toughie. I personally do think that this job (childminding) has a huge impact upon our families anyway and to deny your family and yourself something you want on the grounds of that it doesn't suit a minded child (or family)- hmm well that doesn't quite gell with me. If you have taken a child on with promises that you will never get a pet then thats a different matter.

I think I would speak to the parents of minded child and tell them (not ask) what you intend to do and how do they think its going to impact upon them.
This might be a terrific opportunity for the minded child to get used to animals, and lets face it, the poor cat is going to wonder what the heck is going on anyway and so will probably try to keep out the way.

georgie456
31-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi and a big warm welcome!

Personally, I would take the cat in. As others have said, a cat is very different to a dog in that it would probably spend most of it's time trying to avoid the children at all costs!!! I think in this instance you should go with your heart.....

Good luck!

sonia ann
31-05-2009, 05:20 PM
hello and wecome to the forum. i do understand your concerns but agree with all the good advice here, as long as parents haven't chosen your setting because it is cat free ,due to allergies .....go for it. It is a lovely thing to do:)

PixiePetal
31-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I would tell the parents what you are doing and take the cat in. Mindee will not be with you forever, the cat could be a family friend for years.

As long as the mindee has no allergy then it may be the time to calm her fears and as someone said the cat may decide to keep out of the way anyway.

We have a dog which goes to work with DH. I have told parents incase of allergies and sometimes she stays here but out of way of kids. One who was terrified loves her now and asks if DH will be in for lunch with her!

Allie
31-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Unless the child is allergic it will be a great opportunity to get her used to animals

Allie

westbrom44
31-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I would definitely take the cat in and, as someone has already said, the child may leave but the cat could be with you for many years.
My own daughter was terrified of dogs until we got our own. She has no fear of dogs now. It has made her very relaxed around dogs.

huggableshelly
31-05-2009, 06:27 PM
if it were me i would ask all parents for their opinions then weight up pros and cons and discuss it further with those who reject the idea.

her8y
31-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I too would take in the cat. How would you feel if you didnt then the mindee left in the near future? I have a cat who we rarely see during the day. One of my mindees was very wary at first but now happily stokes him etc. Infact her parents have now purchased a cat of their own!

I agree with pipsqueak that childminding has a huge impact upon our families and to deny your family and yourself something you want because it doesnt suit a mindee is hard. Not the same but i told my son he couldnt have a big paddling pool in our garden because of the mindees and so he spent ALL week end at his friends house who has one and I feel we have lost a week end of quality time. (Will be purchasing one in the week which will be emptied daily)

Pipsqueak
31-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Not the same but i told my son he couldnt have a big paddling pool in our garden because of the mindees and so he spent ALL week end at his friends house who has one and I feel we have lost a week end of quality time. (Will be purchasing one in the week which will be emptied daily)

snap - told my kids we can't get a big pool because of the mindees!!!! (never mind the cost lol)

her8y
31-05-2009, 07:26 PM
snap - told my kids we can't get a big pool because of the mindees!!!! (never mind the cost lol)

Great minds think alike:thumbsup:

miffy
31-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Unless the mindee is allergic to cats I would adopt it.

Miffy xx

Demonjill
01-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I def think you should take the cat! As someone has said, the mindee could leave in the near future :eek: and you would be gutted if you hadnt taken the cat. The cat also needs some reassurance at this time and for the first while the cat will be at his "old" house most of the time till he adjusts.

I have a cat and he is brilliant - stays out the way of any new or boisterous kids who visit and comes to see the ones he trusts - they have a good instinct for this. When I start minding he has his own area he can escape to where the mindees cant get to!:D
Even my mum who really hates cats totally loves my cat as he is such a character and very involved with the goings on of the house and family!

Good luck:thumbsup:

jess
03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I would definatley take the cat in! I think keeping the child away from animals will just reinforce their fear, its a perfect oppurtunity for them to get used to being around animals and Im sure after a while with gentle persuasion they might even start to enjoy it!

Pipsqueak
03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Have you decided what to do???:D

Schnakes
03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
to deny your family and yourself something you want on the grounds of that it doesn't suit a minded child (or family)- hmm well that doesn't quite gell with me.

Absolutely. ...*chants....*...."get the cat, get the cat...."!!!!

Sx

little chickee
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM
totally take the cat - i agree with all who have said that our job has a huge impact on our lives as it is - my 3 boys are learning (after nearly 2 years) that the mindees do impact on our lives and we have to work around them for the good of us all.

I personally have quite a lot of animals, dogs, parrot, hens, ducks, not all of my mindees like them all but we learn coping strategys. my neice and nephew are scared of dogs but have learned to accept their presence if they wish to visit me - your mindee will and should become used to the cat and it will be good for her to overcome her fear - you could even view it as a positive learning expereience for her!

Get the cat, get the cat, get the cat!:jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: