PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article re: childcare vouchers

Mouse
30-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I was just watching this article on the news.

They're saying that many employers may withdraw from the childcare voucher scheme as, due to European rulings, they may still have to pay for the childcare vouchers even if a mum goes on unpaid maternity leave.

It'll be interesting to watch for any developments.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8074954.stm

youarewhatyoueat
30-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I was watching this morning, two of my parents pay with vouchers so it will be interesting what the courts say in a couple of weeks but at the moment the chamber of commerce are recommending that employers pull out because of this ruling.

Minstrel
30-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Ouch!

Doesnt directly affect us but if parents can't use them it will leave less money in the paychecks so less money to pay us!

Not good on any front. :(

rickysmiths
30-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't understand why if the employee isn't earning a salary why the employer should be made to make a contribution. The employer doesn't make any contribution when the employee is working. This report seems very odd to me, I wonder if someone in the press has misunderstood something? :(

huggableshelly
31-05-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't understand why if the employee isn't earning a salary why the employer should be made to make a contribution. The employer doesn't make any contribution when the employee is working. This report seems very odd to me, I wonder if someone in the press has misunderstood something? :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this odd! yes pay whilst in work but whilst on maternity leave to ... why? most parents give up their childcare and have their child at home for that period to cut the cost so what on earth do they need the payment for?

The Juggler
31-05-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this odd! yes pay whilst in work but whilst on maternity leave to ... why? most parents give up their childcare and have their child at home for that period to cut the cost so what on earth do they need the payment for?

I used to admnister the scheme whilst I was working "in my previous life" in an office. It's because it's a benefit entitlement so it continues during maternity leave like any other. If it's offered as a salary sacrifice however, then I don't see why it would have to continue though? If you're not being paid then you can't sacrifice part of your salary to receive it - so don't understand that at all.

However, to be fair, lots of parents do need to pay to keep open the place at their chidminder/nursery if they are returning to work in 6 months. I had to when I had my maternity leave - didn't want lo to have to get used to new childminder because lost place at old one and as that was happening he attended part-time for short days during my mat leave so it wasn't so traumatic for him when I returned to work. He did go back for 2 years after that before I became I childminder so that was the right decision for me.