PDA

View Full Version : 'Holiday' theme ideas

venus89
30-05-2009, 09:21 AM
I've spent this morning planning for the next term - a beach theme. I've got weeks 1-6 sorted and come to week 7, which I'm doing 'holidays'. I've got postcard making, looking at travel brochures, making holiday transport out of large cardboard boxes and making suitcases out of cardboard and choosing stuff to go in them. Now I'm out of ideas and can't find anything else online either!

The kids will be 12 months, 2 1/2 and 2 3/4.......

If anyone could come up with just another idea or two I'd be so grateful xx

Minstrel
30-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Not sure where you live but a trip to the airport to see the planes taking off and landing- my 2yo loves this.

Spangles
30-05-2009, 10:03 AM
That's a tough one as they are all so little.

Could you ask the parents if they could bring in holiday photos and you could all look at them and talk about what you see, etc?

Sing 'we're all going on a summer holiday'! Ha ha!

Play in a sand pit and make sand castles and play with water? Put some stones and shells in, count them, feel their textures, pile the stones up, make patterns with the stones, let them carry them around in buckets - my son used to do that for ages and loved it!

Make pretend ice cream cones.

Look in simple picture books that show pics of beaches, crabs, boats, planes, etc.

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/summer_crafts_for_kids.htm - these are activities re. summer but some are appropriate to holidays and could be made simpler for littlies.

Sorry, I'm brain dead now!

venus89
30-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Thank you both very much x We're not too close to the airports but there's an aerodrome fairly close by so we might be able to go down there. And sand ply is a very good idea too, fitting beautiful with my beach theme :D

helenlc
31-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Try www.sparklebox.co.uk for different themes - I think they do a holiday one as well.

her8y
31-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Last year the then two 2yr olds I minded used sand in glue to decorate a cut out bucket and spade. They loved the texture

PixiePetal
31-05-2009, 02:09 PM
You could use catalogues for cutting and sticking things to pack for your holiday. Stick them on a suitcase picture you have drawn :) Swimsuits, buckets, spades, suncream etc :) simpler than making cardboard suitcases if they are too young?