PDA

View Full Version : when does babysitting become childminding?????????

tammerisk
30-05-2009, 07:36 AM
i hope this is in the right place.
i have had a lady come round and wants me to be her childminder when she gets a job and i am currently helping her out by having her little one when she is going to an interveiw as she is a single parent.

not sure what she wants yet but i get the impression that she is going to ask for some unsocialble hours and for weekends.and i know she is going for a job in a kitchen and poss a managers job at that.
having worked in kitchens i know the sort of hours they want you to do so my question is this

if she asked my to have the little one in the evening at what time does it become overnight care as i am not registered for this.
what time in the morn can i start before it is classed asd over night care.
what is the difference between childminding and baby sitting and can baby sitting be done at my own home or does it have to be at hers.
will i have to change my insurence to do babysitting and do i have to let ofsted know.

sorry about the amount of questions and there might be more!!!

FizzysFriends
30-05-2009, 07:40 AM
i have had a lady come round and wants me to be her childminder when she gets a job and i am currently helping her out by having her little one when she is going to an interveiw as she is a single parent.

not sure what she wants yet but i get the impression that she is going to ask for some unsocialble hours and for weekends.and i know she is going for a job in a kitchen and poss a managers job at that.
having worked in kitchens i know the sort of hours they want you to do so my question is this

if she asked my to have the little one in the evening at what time does it become overnight care as i am not registered for this.
what is the difference between childminding and baby sitting and can baby sitting be done at my own home or does it have to be at hers.
will i have to change my insurence to do babysitting and do i have to let ofsted know.

I was told by my DO I could work up til 10pm without it being classed as overnight.

I would say babysitting is in the childs house.

If you go out to babysit and use NCMA babysitting check list you are covered buy your NCMA insurance. Not sure about MM.

helenlc
30-05-2009, 08:20 AM
MM now do a thing where you can add babysitting onto your public liability insurance for no extra charge - you just have to let them know you want it added on to your policy.

Spangles
30-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I didn't know what times would mean overnight care, hadn't thought of it like that.

I'm surprised you asked what the difference between babysitting and childminding is though considering you're an outstanding childminder? As most of us think it's quite insulting to be labelled as 'babysitters' when we are nothing of the sort!

You wouldn't be able to call it babysitting as the child will be at your house, to babysit you need to be at the child's home.

Could you ask to be registered for overnight care just incase?

tammerisk
30-05-2009, 04:49 PM
to be registered for over night care what would i have to do and would i have to have a spare room for the child to sleep in as that is not possible in my house.

why does it have to be at the childs house when i go out i take my kids to my mums or my sisters house and that is babysitting

well i never done babysitting as a child minder

i done it for family but that didffent the last time i got paid for babysitting i was about 14

Blackhorse
30-05-2009, 08:02 PM
i think the big difference with babysitting is that it has to be in the parents house, which means you are not responsible for the safety equipment, fire drills etc etc.
babysitters don't need to be registered or have any training of any kind (in austria at the moment they are discussing to make training compulsary for babysitters too...but that's another thread altogether)
there is no babysitting curriculum etc etc...

so as soon as you are caring for children in your own home, for money for more than I think 2 hours it is classed as childminding and comes with all the things we know....

tammerisk
30-05-2009, 08:09 PM
ok so that cleared up one question but as the others
what time can i have the little one to before it is classed as over night minding or what time in the morn can he start as a normal day of minding

have just thought of another question

how many hours a day are we allowd to work with one child on a contract i know most people will only normaly work about 10 hours or less for each child(it may come to more hours than that in total if you have a few children starting and finishing at different times) as again in a kitchen you can do double shifts of toltaling about 12 to 15 hours so if you looked after this child for that long is that legal???

relly sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question

FizzysFriends
30-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't think the hours are set in stone. Ask your DO. Mine says 10pm latest. Can't say there will be an earlist as aslong as they arrive in the morning then its daytime (even if it is 6am).

There is no max hours.

Pudding Girl
30-05-2009, 09:19 PM
When I had my preg reg my DO said that if you go over midnight then that is overnight, so you could in theory mind untill say 11.55pm. This however is in Scotland and might be different.

Best people to ask is ringing up NCMA.

and yes, babysitting in the childs home not in yours, that is childminding. There's nothing to stop you registering as a nanny so you could do it at their house and parents can claim TC for it.

Minstrel
31-05-2009, 07:29 AM
On my pre reg course she said a rough rule of thumb would be that overnight is once you've gone to bed. If your still up and treating the child as you would when they have a nap during the day,and not putting the child down for the night and going to sleep yourself.

I think its such a grey area and OFSTED would be the ones to double check with.

Good luck

tammerisk
31-05-2009, 07:53 AM
thanks for all your coment i will be ringing ofated and my development workr on monday just to cheack so i go in with all the knowl;edge of what i can and can't do when the parent come and asks

Pipsqueak
31-05-2009, 09:23 AM
To me babysitting is in the child's own home.

Overnight (childminding) is exactly that - the child sleeps at your home (the setting) from one day into the next.

elliemay
31-05-2009, 10:18 AM

I asked about this at a previous inspection since I had children till 10 at night i was told overnight care is when the children are with you overnight ie when they are put to bed and wake up the next morning in your home.Applying to be registered for overnight care is easy though if you want to do it it involves Ofsted checking the bedroom you want to use for safety. good luck

Chatterbox Childcare
31-05-2009, 11:08 AM
My understanding is that it you care for a child in your own home for less than two hours it is babysitting. This can only be done 3 times a year, after that it is childcare

ORKSIE
31-05-2009, 02:45 PM
My understanding is that it you care for a child in your own home for less than two hours it is babysitting. This can only be done 3 times a year, after that it is childcare

Well I'm glad you put this Debbie, cos this is what I thought but didnt put it as i wasnt totally sure.
As for the 3 times a year...didnt know that:thumbsup:

Lady Haha
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
This is something that confuses me! My friend and me have a 'swap' arrangement going on. She has my son for me overnight at her house when I go out and I have her daughter at my house when she goes out. We don't pay each other, its a straight swap. My concern is that as I'm a childminder, could this raise all sorts of problems as I'm not registered for overnight care. Her daughter is not one of my mindees btw, it's a totally seperate thing.

And it's not that easy to get registered for overnight care! I tried and because my kitchen and lounge are open plan with the stairs coming into them so to speak, the fire officer wouldn't allow it as you have to be able to shut off the kitchen while you are asleep.

Pipsqueak
01-06-2009, 11:17 AM
its a private arrangement blackandsparkly. No money changing hands, not contracted out of business hours - you are not being a childminder