PDA

View Full Version : Baby walker

Rach30
29-05-2009, 09:05 PM
You know what i mean , one of those things with wheels on and a tray that you put non walking babies in to scoot about in . I'm sure they're called baby walkers. Anyway , are we allowed to use one ? If the parents are happy to use one and i am , is there anywhere in EYFS that says we can't ?? I've had a look and can't see anything .

aly
29-05-2009, 09:19 PM
i know a few people and hv's advise no because if tghey get stuck on something there is a risk of toppling. {hv in wales anyway]

look forward to your replies about this

tulip0803
29-05-2009, 09:26 PM
As far as I know there are no rules about not using them - but it is not seen as good practice by many people. Canada has banned them. They allow children to reach further than they normally can and pull things down on them. They can topple if they run over a toy or book over. Other children can whizz babies around causing whiplash type injuries. The seats hold them in the wrong postition and do not help with walking as they do not put full weight on their feet and their hips are out of position.

Having said that it is your parents and your desicion as there is no laws here about their use. I don't like them though.

Mouse
29-05-2009, 09:30 PM
As long as you do a risk assessment (what else :rolleyes: ) I don't see a problem with them. I know people are against them now adays, but I used them for all my kids & they were all early walkers & had no accidents in them.

I think those are the two arguments against them - they hinder children walking & they can cause accidents (eg. if you use them near steps, on a slope etc).

As with most of these things, it's down to common sense!

Pipsqueak
29-05-2009, 10:09 PM
NCMA advise that we don't (learnt that on recent ICP!!) and I think Ofsted aren't overkeen either.

katickles
29-05-2009, 10:14 PM
My SIL is a doctor & she hates them!! Reason being when she was doing her training & spent time in peadiactric, she saw so many cases of children/babies with problems with their hips caused IHO by these & those door bouncer/hanger things.

I personally think that if used for short periods of time, then fine. I think its more those that are in them hours at a time that are going to have problems

Zoomie
29-05-2009, 10:23 PM
If you have to go with a walker, i would suggest this one.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230202147/Product.aspx?source=14798

I do not like the type where baby sits inside.

And Ofsted never said a word about mine :)

katickles
29-05-2009, 10:26 PM

I have one of those & one thats similar just a differnt make. In fact my eldest dd still plays with that one as you can remove the top part & use it just as a toy ( gosh that probably doesn't make sense!!)

her8y
29-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I was advised at a network meeting that they should be avoided. My own children loved them tho!

tulip0803
29-05-2009, 10:35 PM

These are great and I have this one too. These actually help a baby walk as they are standing with full weight on their feet in the right position for walking and they don't move fast:) .

ORKSIE
29-05-2009, 10:54 PM
The ones LO's sit in i dont like, the JL one that has been put on this thread i think are ok, cos you not making the lo stand:thumbsup:

wellybelly
29-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I think its something to do with risk of falling but Ive also heard they can be bad for babys leg muscles. I used them for my kids - they loved them, especially in the kitchen.

I dont think i'll use them for mindees though, too much of a risk

pinklady
30-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I would never use one. DS1 was born with a dislocated hip and I've had many Orthopedic experts tell me how damaging baby walkers are. I think the ones without wheels are much better and it is a way of keeping them amused for a couple of minutes while you pop to the loo!:blush:

I was also advised against leaving babies in their 1st stage car seats for long periods of time..unless you're actually on a long car journey ofcourse :rolleyes:

angeldelight
30-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Ofsted are not keen on these

My daughters nursery were told to get rid of them a few years ago

Angel xx

angeldelight
30-05-2009, 09:30 AM

That looks nice

I think the problem is that some parents leave their child in them for hours and hours

If they are used sensible then I guess its like anything else

Angel xx

Spangles
30-05-2009, 09:31 AM
'They' are forever changing their minds about what's good for babies (and everyone else) and what isn't.

Baby walkers have been about for years so thousands and thousands of children have used them and they can all walk fine and aren't damaged by it. My son loved his but now I won't use one although they are still sold so aren't banned.

When Benjamin was born 4 years ago they were going on about how newborns mustn't be in a sleeping bag and now they recommend it. They also said not to give dummies but now they recommend it for when you are putting them down to sleep. First you were advised to breastfeed for first few months, then six and now 12!

Whoever can keep up with all this. Chances are they'll all change their minds back again at some point as well!

angeldelight
30-05-2009, 09:38 AM
'They' are forever changing their minds about what's good for babies (and everyone else) and what isn't.

Baby walkers have been about for years so thousands and thousands of children have used them and they can all walk fine and aren't damaged by it. My son loved his but now I won't use one although they are still sold so aren't banned.

When Benjamin was born 4 years ago they were going on about how newborns mustn't be in a sleeping bag and now they recommend it. They also said not to give dummies but now they recommend it for when you are putting them down to sleep. First you were advised to breastfeed for first few months, then six and now 12!

Whoever can keep up with all this. Chances are they'll all change their minds back again at some point as well!

Yeah I agree Spangles

We should just all do what we want to do ( apart from watch bb of course ha ha )

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

sonia ann
30-05-2009, 01:18 PM
i think the problem is when they are misused and the baby is left in them for long periods of time. Although I personally don't like them and have never used them, i think if they are used sensibly and carefully for short periods of time under supervision there is no problem.When i worked as a paediatric nurse they were a definite no with the orthopaedic drs because they see the results of their misuse, not the people who use them sensibly...............does that sound right??

Rach30
30-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all your replys :D I agree with you spangles. I am gonna use one for the mindee i was thinking of . I will do risk ass. amd get parents to sign permission (it was the mums suggestion to use one ) but obviously its gonna be one of many activities mindee uses so wont be in it for long periods of time .

Thanks again all
xx

pinklady
30-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I think they should just be banned and done with it. Babies walk when they are ready and shouldn't be forced to do so before that. I have it on good authority from one of the worlds leading orthopedic surgeons (sadly now retired) that treated my son, that they are extremely damaging to children's joints.

Mollymop
30-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I think they should just be banned and done with it. Babies walk when they are ready and shouldn't be forced to do so before that. I have it on good authority from one of the worlds leading orthopedic surgeons (sadly now retired) that treated my son, that they are extremely damaging to children's joints.

I agree with you. My sil was proud of the fact that she put her dd, now 12, in a babywalker from 4 months old:eek: - She new it was damaging to the growth of a child but she still did it - she wanted her to walk befor e12 months. Mad!

georgie456
30-05-2009, 05:43 PM

I agree.

Both my children have used walkers and are perfectly undamaged by it!

I've never understood what was so controversial about it tbh. As long as common sense is used they are great for little ones.

sonia ann
30-05-2009, 05:47 PM
As long as common sense is used they are great for little ones.

:clapping: :clapping:
this is true for so many things

FizzysFriends
30-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I agree.

I've never understood what was so controversial about it tbh. As long as common sense is used they are great for little ones.

They are controversial because some idiot put their child in one at the top of the stairs!!!!

I agree common sence needs to be used.

georgie456
30-05-2009, 07:44 PM
They are controversial because some idiot put their child in one at the top of the stairs!!!!

I agree common sence needs to be used.

Yeah well.....there are some exceptions I suppose :D

Cazz
30-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah I agree Spangles

We should just all do what we want to do ( apart from watch bb of course ha ha )

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

:thumbsup: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had a one of those sit-in baby walkers at my mum's house when my twins were babies (11 years ago!) so they went in there occasionally and it did them no harm!

Haven't used one this time for Megan as I know there has been a lot of negative press about them. As has already been said I think if they are only used for short periods of time then it's acceptable - it's when people put their baby in them all the time and don't supervise them properly that there could be a risk.

Carole x

Demonjill
30-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I agree.

I agree with this too. We all are capable of making the best decision for all concerned!
My DD and DS both used these in moderation and they are both fine!:thumbsup:

The Juggler
31-05-2009, 08:49 AM
That looks nice

I think the problem is that some parents leave their child in them for hours and hours

If they are used sensible then I guess its like anything else

Angel xx

I agree, these type of push along walkers encourage walking far more than the sit-in type. having said that used one for my daughter but only very infrequently, they need to be out to practice using their muscles for crawling and getting up to standing position these do neither.

flora
31-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I never used one unitl I had Hannah, and I have to say she loved it.

We have a large lounge and dining room and she would scoot up and down safely.

I would use them in moderation if I cared for mindees of that age unless they banned them or parents said no.

As said, common sense rules.

princessp73
31-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi i think as long as you have parents permission and the child is supervised there shouldn't be a problem. I had a minded child who was frustrated (he cried lots) because he couldn't get 'in about' with all the other children, i used to walk him about (which stopped him crying) but there is only so long you can do this before your back breaks :) so the babywalker worked wonders for him he loved it. My daughter also had one and loved it!:)

Rach30
31-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I used one for my daughter but not to encourage her to walk . Basically a child will walk when its ready to . My daughter hated laying down cos she couldn't see what was going on ! When she was upright in the walker she could have a good look about. It's the same principle for bouncy chairs , the baby gets a different view point. Go on then , someone tell me that bouncy chairs are no good either ! lol :D

Heaven Scent
31-05-2009, 01:58 PM
i know a few people and hv's advise no because if tghey get stuck on something there is a risk of toppling. {hv in wales anyway]

look forward to your replies about this

Yes when they first came out that did happen now they have very very wide bases to stop this.

Heaven Scent
31-05-2009, 02:10 PM
As far as I know there are no rules about not using them - but it is not seen as good practice by many people. Canada has banned them. They allow children to reach further than they normally can and pull things down on them.

Yes but if used wisely and supervised properly then this shouldn't happen also with the wide bases children shouldn't be able to reach things anyay the gap that is provided by the base should prevent this.

They can topple if they run over a toy or book over.

Again its down to proper supervision same when a baby is toddling about.

I've somebow lost the bit about other children whizzig them about and causing whiplash injuries - Well that is scarey but not because of the Walkers themselves more because of the type of adult who would allow this situation to arise - I've never heard of it happen and I think if a child were to do this to another then the older child must have some type of behavioural problem and should never ever be left unsupervised with whether with other children or not and we should never be leaving children unsupervised anyway.

The seats hold them in the wrong postition and do not help with walking as they do not put full weight on their feet and their hips are out of position.

I don't think they were every designed or marketed as helping children with their walking more to do with helping them have a different view of the world and keeping them busy and amused. giving parents a free hand not freedom to leave children unsupervised. - like bath seats etc - a parents aid not a babysitter and it usually states this on the box.

Having said that it is your parents and your desicion as there is no laws here about their use. I don't like them though.

No offence meant just needed to voice my opinion.

Heaven Scent
31-05-2009, 02:33 PM

This type has a completely differnent purpose and in my opinion are just as dangerous as the others and need way way more supervision - they are far far too light to support the wieght of a baby learning to walk and the number of nasty accidents I have seen with these is untrue.

I did have this type of thing for my children but it was ha big heavy wooden train that I got from Marks & Spencers - it was also a sit on toy - it was so heavy that it didn't topple back onto the child when they plopped down on their bottom when they got tired walkin and it could take their weight when they were using it as an aid to get up. I haven't seen on othe yet that could do that - not even this v-tech one with its wide base.

With regard to the other type I have used one with my son and when he was too young to weight bear I raised the height so his feet didn't touch the ground and when I couldn't do that any longer I wedged it between two sofas so that he couldn't move it - I only used it when I needed to get on with jobs such as cook meals etc and he loved it - it was shaped like an aeroplane and it made areoplane noises.

I am not saying I am for these at all but they are an aid for parents and its a far better solution to a sreaming baby who hates to be left lying down than what could happen if a parent reaches the end of their thether due to constant screaming - I was ill when I used the one I had for my son - and my husband was working away - I also lived in a small house with a spiral staircase that I couldn't fit a gate to - can you imagine what could have happened if I'd left him crawling while I nipped to the loo. I very very rately used it for my daughter - I think I used it once or twice in the back garden (we'd moved house just before she was born) but then left it outside in the rain and all the noises stopped working. It was also great for my son at our first house because I could take him outsides in it and relax in our yard which had a shared entranc for 4 houses so I couldn't put a gate up - again he would have been stuck inside all summer without it. - The next year when he was walking and I was pregnant and moving house was a nightmare watching he didn't get out.

So you see they are not all bad when used properly - just like bumbo seats people leave their kiddies stuck in these for hours on end how bad must that be for their little spines????

Also people leaving very young babies to sleep in pushchairs and car seats - they should be flat and able to move about.

Everything is Ok in moderation but not for full time general use.

I don't have one here now and a parent did bring one here for their child once but I didn't like it - I found it far too dangerous for the tolddler I had - babies don't have any control when scooting about in these and can run into anything - they may be perfectly safe but what about other children.

There you go you have been bombarded with my opinion on the subject. Having said all that I would love one of those seat things that are like walkers but don't move that have all the activity things on - to keep crawlers or toddlers safe while I go to the loo or see to another child - again for use for short periods of time and in emergency situations.