PDA

View Full Version : Can a nursery refuse admission because of allergies?

Little Bear
29-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi I have had an enquiry from a lady who has a 4year old at nursery, he has a few food allergies. In Sep they would like their 1 year old to attend the nursery as well, but the nursery has refused to accept the child as he has to have a dairy free diet.
I thought that this would come under the inclusion policy. Any ideas?

Spangles
29-05-2009, 06:25 PM
That doesn't sound right to me. Why would they refuse him just because of that? Surely that's discriminatory and the mum could make a serious complaint.

Blimey, some children attend with nut allergies etc which is much more sensitive i.e. allergic reaction to touch or closeness, why would a diary free diet be such a hassle?

I wouldn't have thought they would be allowed to do that at all.

(I meant dairy, I wouldn't want to eat diaries myself!)

littlesprogs
29-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure at the nursery my son is going to we have to provide food but i wouldnt have thought they could exclude him for that.

ORKSIE
29-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Surely that is not a very "Inclusive Practice"
You cant not take someome cos of a allergy, thats discrimination!!!!!

FizzysFriends
29-05-2009, 06:40 PM
There is an add on netmums with the same sinario, same ages too I think, shes looking for a nanny. Both kids with allegies but younger can't get in so it must happen.

squiggle
29-05-2009, 07:06 PM
There is an add on netmums with the same sinario, same ages too I think, shes looking for a nanny. Both kids with allegies but younger can't get in so it must happen.

yes it the same one - she contacted me through my website and i told her to contact 'little bear' and somone else i knew in the same area.

i can't see how they can exclude a child with an allergy and if i was the parent i would take it further with the nursery!

xx

ORKSIE
29-05-2009, 07:53 PM
i can't see how they can exclude a child with an allergy and if i was the parent i would take it further with the nursery!

xx

I agree! This is discrimination!

Princess Sara
29-05-2009, 07:58 PM

xx

I would too. Probably wouldn't end up sending them, but would make a fuss just to press the point. It's discrimination pure and simple. What happens when the child starts school?! Damn nurseries thinking they can pick and choose...

Spangles
29-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I just wonder if there's more to it than the mother is letting on though? I can't believe that a nursery would not accept a child for that reason? Doesn't seem right.

Mollymop
29-05-2009, 08:41 PM
No it doesn't sound right to me either.
I looked after a little boy last year who had allergies to everything (not literally, of course) - he was dairy intolerant and had an allergy to wheat - so much so he could touch anything with gluten in or even play with playdoh. I had to be very careful.
He was also heavily asthmatic, plus he had very severe ( i can never spell that word!) exema (sp? ha). But I placed him and worked with him. He also went to nursery and later playschool.
So I think the nursery must be feeding bullpoop to the parent, or she is trying to feed it to you.

sonia ann
29-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I just wonder if there's more to it than the mother is letting on though? I can't believe that a nursery would not accept a child for that reason? Doesn't seem right.

does seem a bit odd i agree.

Pipsqueak
29-05-2009, 10:04 PM
They cannot refuse on just those grounds.

wellybelly
29-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Think youre right Ruth, imagine if that scary inclusion officer at Matlock found out which nursery said that, she'd rip them to pieces.

Hebs
30-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi I have had an enquiry from a lady who has a 4year old at nursery, he has a few food allergies. In Sep they would like their 1 year old to attend the nursery as well, but the nursery has refused to accept the child as he has to have a dairy free diet.
I thought that this would come under the inclusion policy. Any ideas?

nope they can't do this as its in breech of the disability act :thumbsup:
my son has to have a dairy free diet too, so i know how these things work :thumbsup: i had to fight with my sons school to get them to provide dairy free school meals, took over a year with solicitors involvement, but they still refuse to provide milk thats suitable for him due to "cost" yet the government insist that all primary aged kids get milk on a daily basis, so i have to provide goats milk that costs me £5 a week JUST for the ammount he takes to school, i spend at least £15 a week on milk alone for him :angry:

ORKSIE
30-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I look after a little boy, He is Muslim and dairy intolerant.
So he is vegetarian cos all of his meat has to be Halal and no dairy products cos of his alergy:eek:
We get by and I have learnt so much about the ingredients in food.:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
30-05-2009, 06:18 PM
my son has to have a dairy free diet too, so i know how these things work :thumbsup: i had to fight with my sons school to get them to provide dairy free school meals, took over a year with solicitors involvement, but they still refuse to provide milk thats suitable for him due to "cost" yet the government insist that all primary aged kids get milk on a daily basis, so i have to provide goats milk that costs me £5 a week JUST for the ammount he takes to school, i spend at least £15 a week on milk alone for him :angry:

Same here - I have to provide James' milk as the nursery/school won't

The Juggler
31-05-2009, 08:45 AM

What a nightmare for you!

I agree though this nursery can't refuse to take him on that basis. I would make a complaint though still wouldn't want to send him there if I won but at least the nursery would be aware. I'd like to see them explain that policy to ofsted!

Ripeberry
31-05-2009, 01:07 PM
OMG! I spoke to this woman last week, she did not mention anything about allergies and she was a bit strange anyway. Wonder if she has found anyone yet?

squiggle
31-05-2009, 01:13 PM
OMG! I spoke to this woman last week, she did not mention anything about allergies and she was a bit strange anyway. Wonder if she has found anyone yet?

whereabouts are you? you must be near me

xx

nannymcflea
31-05-2009, 03:04 PM
My youngest is dairy intolerent, she's 6 now and I have to send in treats for her when the others have something...the school have never provided milk and she's not that bothered to be honest, also never thought about school diners.
Once at playgroup they made sandwiches, knowing she was dairy free they gave her margerine anyway saying "oh we thought she couldn't have butter"...what plebs! She was off for a couple of days afterwards, I should have made a complaint but was minding one of the staffs children at the time!

Nothing suprises me regarding settings and exclusions, the "must be out of nappies before they start playgroup" is a usual one!