PDA

View Full Version : quick - reality check needed

Donkey
29-05-2009, 08:31 AM
is this a good idea...

6 year old using sharpish knife to help prepare morning snack under totaly supervision or is this a bad idea???

jellytot
29-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I dont see a problem, If they never use them how will they ever become competent

RachelE
29-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I wouldnt trust my son and he's 8 in September!

You know the child, but personally I wouldnt.

Mollymop
29-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Ummm...:) My dd is a big 5 year old and I wouldn't want her to use a sharpish knife. But that's my dd, she is clumsy. ha.

I would do it if I helped hold the knife with the child

sarah707
29-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Depends on the child.

I let little ones use safe knives to cut soft fruit.

Older ones help in the kitchen with bigger knives.

If the child is sensible and you are teaching safety / holding it properly / cutting away from you etc then it is a valuable lesson :D

FussyElmo
29-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Good idea teach them the basics especially if you have confidence in the child :)

tinkerbelle
29-05-2009, 08:47 AM
i would as you say you will be watching them my kids do it and the younger ones use a plastic knife to do it

Princess Sara
29-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I would trust my 5yo when he was 4, but he (can be) very sensible under one-to-one supervision.

Really depends on the child, and maybe the reaction you'd get from the parent if it went pear-shaped!

georgie456
29-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Again it depends on the child, but I would with my dd and she's only 4...

Donkey
29-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I tried to cut my finger off with the knife as a test and it wasnt at all sharp...

it went totally fine, we learnt aboud holding the knife properly and making sure our fingers were not in the way...

we were cutting already skinned banana so it was quite easy

:clapping:

but it will make a great pdj for my nvq...
as I was letting him assess the risk for himself.
I asked why he needed to keep his fingers out of the way etc

Mouse
29-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I tried to cut my finger off with the knife as a test and it wasnt at all sharp...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Could have been interesting if it was!

Children here use knives & scissors from quite a young age, but obviously with full supervision.
It's amazing how many children go to school unable to use a pair of scissors.

The Juggler
29-05-2009, 01:32 PM
My daughter helps cut up carrots with really sharp knife under really close supervision. They need to learn how to keep fingers etc out of way. If it's just a butter knife no problems if it's sharp I would say just make sure you are there all the time. The danger is they wrap fingers round knife to press harder.

I agree though they only become competent if you show them the dangers. If it's veg/fruit could always use a veg peeler?

ORKSIE
29-05-2009, 04:19 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Glad it wasnt sharp!

Daftbat
29-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I dont see a problem, If they never use them how will they ever become competent

Exactly my opinion:thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
29-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Good idea :thumbsup: children need to learn to take risks otherwise how will they know how to do things and what's safe/not and judge it for themselves?