PDA

View Full Version : 4 week old? opinions please?

jess
28-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I have agreed to take on a 4 week old baby, I dont have a problem with this at all, although a lot of childminders in my area wont take babies under 3 monthes and some 6 monthes. The youngest child i have previously taken on was 9 weeks,she is just about to turn 2 and have still got her and obviously we have a great bond! I feel that the parents have weighed up the pros and cons and I have too.Its just that when I mention this to anyone they seem to have problems with it? what do you think?would you take on a child so young? do you think Im wrong for not having a problem with it?

estrelas
28-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I know its really wromg of me to say this, but i couldn't do it :(

Spangles
28-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it at all. I'd just ignore them if you're happy with it and you're convinced the parents have made the right decision.

Everyone's different and has different circumstances and life histories. I don't think people should judge. You've obviously cared for a tiny baby before and know what you are letting yourself in for so I would just ignore them to be honest.

You know what you are doing, don't worry about anyone else.

TheBTeam
28-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I personally don't have a problem with such a young baby, i do feel it is a shame that the parents are forced to put such a young child in childcare, and in an ideal world it would be fantastic and better if they could spend more time caring for their own child, but that said, for whatever reason they can not and if they would like you to look after their young baby then that is a privilege!

I guess some of your good friends maybe a little concerned for you as maybe there are more unknowns with such a young baby, health etc, and the vulnerability of such a young baby, and there will be others who are just jealous.

Lets hope it isn't a screamer!:laughing:

pinklady
28-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I think it's a great honour to be asked to look after such a young baby. I only feel sadness for the parents having to use childcare for their tiny little one.

I don't see any reason not to do it, go for it!:thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
28-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it, not everyone has the same start in life and if a child has to be in childcare at that age then they can't get better than a caring childminder.

Pipsqueak
28-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Good for you - I would take on a tiny tots like a shot. Like you I know many minders who won;t take on tiddlers - don't know why.

Oooh I am broody I want another one.....

janiefear
28-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I'd love it - a tiny baby but without being up all night - sounds perfect to me. I just really feel for any mum who has to put their little one into child care at this age.

Just ignore everybody else, they don't know the family's circumstances so they just but out!!!!!

Enjoy - I know I would

Jane

Chatterbox Childcare
28-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I took on a little girl at 4 weeks because mum had to return to work. She is 9 in August and still comes to me in the holidays.

Go for it.

jess
28-05-2009, 09:07 PM
lol ive had more than my fair share of screamers, I dont deserve another! I understand about the health/vulnerability etc but surely we take these things into account with all children we take on, theres always a risk ofcourse its more so with such a young one but someones gotta do it?
estrelas, its not wrong for you to say that at all,any particular reason you couldnt do it or just in general?

Blackhorse
28-05-2009, 09:12 PM
don't listen to anyone else..(exception people on the forum of course)
if you and mum are happy for you to take on the baby then go for it.

to be honest though I could not imagine putting such a little baby into care...
I come from a country where mat leave can extend for 3 years and most mums stay home for at least a year with their babies..most even longer if they can (dads can take 6 months off too!!)
I am not saying that you are not going to do a great job with the baby, as I am sure you will, I just think it is sad that mum and baby don't have more time together while the baby is still so little.
I know after 4 weeks I would have found it impossible to go to work as I was soooooo tired and overwhelmed with everything (I enjoyed it but omg was it hard work..especially since it was the first one and I guess nobody can prepare you for the long sleepless nights trying to bf...)

TheBTeam
28-05-2009, 09:18 PM
lol ive had more than my fair share of screamers, I dont deserve another! I understand about the health/vulnerability etc but surely we take these things into account with all children we take on, theres always a risk ofcourse its more so with such a young one but someones gotta do it?
estrelas, its not wrong for you to say that at all,any particular reason you couldnt do it or just in general?

Yes i am definitely jealous to have such a young baby without keeping them overnight i would love it, and feel very privileged to be chosen, what an honour to be chosen to look after and trusted with such a young baby (i am assuming that the parents are nice and had the baby for the right reasons here, not just dumping cos they like to), the mum i would imagine is not really wanting to leave her baby and would only do so to someone that they were completely happy with.

Go for it and look forward to a long and fantastic relationship with the baby and the parents.

Cazz
28-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I'd love it - a tiny baby but without being up all night - sounds perfect to me. I just really feel for any mum who has to put their little one into child care at this age.

Just ignore everybody else, they don't know the family's circumstances so they just but out!!!!!

Enjoy - I know I would

Jane

Couldn't agree more!

Lucky you, although it would definetly make me broody again!

Carole x

ORKSIE
28-05-2009, 09:25 PM
If your happy and mums happy where is the problem:rolleyes:

kindredspirits
28-05-2009, 09:31 PM
yes i'd do it in a shot. as far as my sleep-deprived brain can work out the only additional danger is that of cot death and as long as you've got proper proceedures/policies and your travel cot is suitable for a young baby then i see no issues there.

enjoy!! i took on a 4 month old and he was sooooo easy and cute, shame the mum was a pain! :laughing:

ORKSIE
28-05-2009, 09:37 PM
yes i'd do it in a shot. as far as my sleep-deprived brain can work out the only additional danger is that of cot death and as long as you've got proper proceedures/policies and your travel cot is suitable for a young baby then i see no issues there.

:
Can't believe you just said that! IMO!!
We all think things but some things are best unsaid!! IMO

aly
28-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I personally dont see why and have wondered why people say over 3months etc???

Go for it

xx

ajs
28-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I have agreed to take on a 4 week old baby, I dont have a problem with this at all, although a lot of childminders in my area wont take babies under 3 monthes and some 6 monthes. The youngest child i have previously taken on was 9 weeks,she is just about to turn 2 and have still got her and obviously we have a great bond! I feel that the parents have weighed up the pros and cons and I have too.Its just that when I mention this to anyone they seem to have problems with it? what do you think?would you take on a child so young? do you think Im wrong for not having a problem with it?

i am sure i am missing something but why wouldn't you take on a child this young, my youngest was almost 5 weeks when i started with her 21 months ago.
she is a wonderful little girl and i have absolutley no regrets taking on such a young baby, i know it was tough for mum to leave her for the first day but after that mum was fine.

if you cna cope with a young baby go for it, i know i would

cuffleygirl
29-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Pink Lady summed it up for me - spot on well put!

angeldelight
29-05-2009, 06:40 AM

The very first child I looked after was only 4 weeks old he is over 18 now

It was no different to looking after say a 3 month old - I have looked after many at that age too

I would go for it

The child I looked after still comes to us every month and stays for the weekend we have a fantastic friendship with him and he is part of our family

I hope it works out for you good luck

Angel xx

FussyElmo
29-05-2009, 06:43 AM
I think the younger you get them the easier it is - sorry!!! Personally I couldnt have left any of mine thats why I childmind though.

I took on a baby at 5 weeks and it was great would definately do it again. Mum was in the last year of her nursing training. She left me at 2 because mum moved but still get cards and photos:)

huggableshelly
29-05-2009, 06:46 AM
I admire anyone who cares for babies under one!

right back when i started childminding I was going to take on a newborn but the family chose a live in nanny instead ... I was so relieved it made me realise I'm not the best person to care for a baby.

Back in nurseries my fav age group was 2-3's and it still is.

Go with your gut instinct if you are comfortable, parents are happy then go for it and good luck ...

georgie456
29-05-2009, 07:45 AM

I agree - you'll get all the good bits and still get a full nights sleep!!:D

Pudding Girl
29-05-2009, 08:09 AM
People just have their judgy pants on against the parents without knowing the whys and wherefores :rolleyes: . I cannot see what problem it is to be the one looking after the baby so young - it's more against the parent's not you - and yes jealousy!

Mollymop
29-05-2009, 08:11 AM
It must be really rewarding to care for a child so young. I can't see a problem with doing it at all. I wouldn't want to myself, becasue they are so demanding at such a young age, but that is the only reason.
I think you should go for it, who cares what everyone else thinks

vix84
29-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi, I would only be unsure simply because my little boy was such hard work (but then I was up in the night with him alot so was sleep deprived) but Im sure my lo had colic or something else too.

It will be a great experience and if it doesnt work out, then it doesnt work out :)

loocyloo
29-05-2009, 09:09 AM
:thumbsup: oooo, i'd love a tiny baby!

especially one that went home at night ! my DD would love it too !!!

good luck, thinking of you and little one.

xxx

haribo
29-05-2009, 01:38 PM
id do it and tell people to mind their own business its between you and the parents. also if you dont someone else will wont they . i love little babies the youngest ive minded is 3 months and i find it makes for a strong bond . good luck :clapping:

Saranotts
29-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I know exactly where you are coming from. I took on a 6 week old (two weeks ago) and everyone who sees me with him says "Oh how can they do that" and I end up feeling I have to defend the poor parents decision. I am happy doing it and the parents are happy, so what's the problem? I think it is better for a parent to go back to work when they want to, than stay at home just because it is the done thing. Also not all parents have the choice to stay at home and so these comments, if made to them must just make them feel even worse.

Sara

LittleStars
29-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a little girl who was 2 weeks when she started with me....she has just turned one now. I have such a fantastic bond with her and her parents and would do it again in a shot.

Mum wasn't going straight back to work but was having a tough time and needed some time out, she only came for 2 short days initially.

Do it if you are confident to :)

Raggydolls
29-05-2009, 03:47 PM
some ppl just cannot afford to give up work after a baby, i doubt its easy for anyone in this situation but id look after a baby in a shot, i say good luck to u and love every moment of it :-D

leanne
xx

jess
29-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Thankyou, all of your comments are exactly what I was thinking, just began to doubt my decision! Will look forward to it now!:)

christine e
29-05-2009, 04:17 PM
If both you and mum are happy with arrangment then the opinions of everyone else don't matter. The response from forum members on the whole have been positive and the younger the child the stronger the bond seems to be.

Cx

Playmate
29-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I say the younger the better, they get used to the noise and the fact they can't have total one to one. much sooner. Much easier than taking them on after 6 mths. I have found since the maternity leave has changed over the years and parents are taking longer (which is great for them) that the 9mth - year age range is so much more difficult to settle.
Good luck

ORKSIE
29-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Sally, I totally agree.
And yes it is nice for mums to have time with their LO;s