PDA

View Full Version : What exactly do you need to do to be a childminder?

Dreean
28-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi All

Sorry this may sound so basic :blush: but I am confused and wondered if someone could do a list for me (pretty please!)

What do you need to do/have in place so you can actually start childminding? (CRB, First Aid,Childminding Certificate, etc) I guess i want to look at the big picture and try n plan how to tackle it all.

Many thanks
Liz

Chatterbox Childcare
28-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Will let some of the newly registered/registering childminders answer this one but wanted to add that this is the most rewarding job I have ever one. It stretches me intellectually and emotionally.

Minstrel
28-05-2009, 07:50 PM
ok different for everyone but mine was...

attend ICP course
fill out Ofsted forms
get health dec completed
post forms
first aid
pre reg home visit
make safety changes as recommended by inspector
by a few resources to start me off
await CRB cert
receive Registration cert! (TODAY!)

CountryKids
29-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Now and/or where I am, DHC course, not ICP. :)

ORKSIE
29-05-2009, 11:06 PM
ok different for everyone but mine was...

attend ICP course
fill out Ofsted forms
get health dec completed
post forms
first aid
pre reg home visit
make safety changes as recommended by inspector
by a few resources to start me off
await CRB cert
receive Registration cert! (TODAY!)

There ya go! I have been minding for 15 years, and as Debbie has said will let the people who are going thru registration answer this one.
But i can tell you.... I Love my job:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
29-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi All

Sorry this may sound so basic :blush: but I am confused and wondered if someone could do a list for me (pretty please!)

What do you need to do/have in place so you can actually start childminding? (CRB, First Aid,Childminding Certificate, etc) I guess i want to look at the big picture and try n plan how to tackle it all.

Many thanks
Liz

First of all get in touch with your local council and they will get you on a pre-reg.

At some point if you are serious about registering get yourself a copy of the EYFS and happy reading

Oh and make sure you get well involved with us!! lol best support network you will ever have:thumbsup:
You will attend an ICP (or Unit 1 DHC) or the equivelent in your local area
you will also have to complete a 12hr paedatric first aid course
Some LA's offer basic EYFS training along with the ICP

You will need your medical declaration and crb sorted

Ofsted will pre-reg check you at some point

once these bits are in place you can childmind

There should be a start up grant that cover the costs of what I have mentioned about.

CountryKids
30-05-2009, 10:08 AM
We have been told no grants available in our area :(
Apparently, they spent all last year urging childminders to put in for grants for computer equipment etc, and now nothing is left for training/new childminders :rolleyes: Clever, hey?

First of all get in touch with your local council and they will get you on a pre-reg.

At some point if you are serious about registering get yourself a copy of the EYFS and happy reading

Oh and make sure you get well involved with us!! lol best support network you will ever have:thumbsup:
You will attend an ICP (or Unit 1 DHC) or the equivelent in your local area
you will also have to complete a 12hr paedatric first aid course
Some LA's offer basic EYFS training along with the ICP

You will need your medical declaration and crb sorted

Ofsted will pre-reg check you at some point

once these bits are in place you can childmind

There should be a start up grant that cover the costs of what I have mentioned about.

Dreean
30-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Oerrr not good what area are you in? (Just so I know what I am in for if I am in the same area!)

So I take it you don't have to have all your toys n equipment, paper work, etc, to actually start, you can do that as you go along?

Liz

Pipsqueak
30-05-2009, 07:31 PM
No you don't have to have everything in place at pre-reg and your ICP will give you guidance to getting your paperwork together.
But its a good idea to have some things on the go or together and it doesn't hurt to start researching these things (as you are already doing:thumbsup: ). Having a wish list or a to do list is always good.

By the end of your ICP and as you get your certificate you should have your admin documents in place.