PDA

View Full Version : Should I ask the parents to pay monthly or weekly?

ka_ka
27-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to work out if I should ask parents to pay monthly or weekly? should I give them a choice? What do you do and why?
Thanks
Karen

Pipsqueak
27-05-2009, 10:41 PM
What suits you best???? Your choice - and some like to pay weekly some monthly. Talk it over with them but state what suits YOU best

christine e
28-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Some of mine pay weekly in arrears but if they pay fortnightly or monthly I insist it is paid in advance. I have a few friends who let parents pay monthly in arrears and have problems collecting at the end of the month! If I ever have to take a day off at short notice we make an adjustment on the following month's calculation.

Cx

Roseolivia
28-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Mine pay monthly which suits me and them as they pay by busy bee vouchers as well as cheques.
If they pay by cheque and want to pay weekly you have to think if you can get to the bank weekly.

miffy
28-05-2009, 07:33 AM
I was always paid in arrears but now I am always paid in advance. Some of my parents still pay weekly but new ones I'm now asking for a month in advance.

Pip's right though - work out what suits you and stick to it

Miffy xx

manjay
28-05-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a mixture of both and one even pays me termly. Some families get tax credits weekly so may want to pay as soon as it arrives others get paid monthly. My weekly one is only a small amount but it is my "purse" money iyswim so it works great for me.

Daftbat
28-05-2009, 08:19 AM
I have parents paying me all sorts of ways. I always put the ball in their court since if they stipulate when they want to pay you i personally think it means fewer problems with late payers etc.

Pudding Girl
28-05-2009, 08:29 AM
It's usually a mixture depending on how parents themselves are paid. Kind of nice to get it all in a lump sum, but then also nice to have it trickling in over the month, means you are never short ;)

huggableshelly
28-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I give parents the choice

2 pay monthly
1 pays school termly (every 12 wks ish)
1 pays as she uses if i have spaces to offer in school hols
the rest pay weekly but all on different days

1 pays when i threaten her LOL but that isnt an advisable option

Pudding Girl
28-05-2009, 08:37 AM
1 pays when i threaten her LOL but that isnt an advisable option

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
28-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I get monthly and weekly.
I tell parents its up to them. So long as i get paid I dont mind:D

Chatterbox Childcare
28-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I have 8 families on monthly in advance (anything in addition used in the month get put on my next months invoice)

1 family currently pays weekly and adds to it as she can afford it so we get to a month in advance.

They all pay directly into the bank account so I don't have to go each week bur previously I sold monthly and said "I am not paid to go to the bank each week with your children". They all agreed!

If you are paid in arrears you could lose everything and work for nothing, if you get paid weekly you could lose a weeks money unless it is in advance and if you get paid monthly you will never lose.

ka_ka
28-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks,
It seems that it does work giving parents the choice. I'm going to give them the choice and ask for the money in the advance (either weekly or monthly)

Thanks for all the replies!

Karen

FizzysFriends
28-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Mine pay monthly as they get paid monthly.

Ad hoc pay at the start of the day or on the first day of care if im doing a few days together.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-05-2009, 08:11 PM
If you are going to do weekly I would ask for a weeks deposit in advance so that you already have your money on the day you start work, otherwise mum could turn up on the Monday and "forgotten" and you work and not been paid.

TheBTeam
28-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I have a mixture of how i am paid, but one thing i know is best is not to be monthly in arrears for anything more than £100, i have been stung trying to get £1000, only managed £200 of it so far and have to chase now children have stopped coming.

One thing i make clear to all parents is that i do not like dealing with the money side of the business and therefore would appreciate being paid without having to keep asking, or feeling guilty to get my money! Most respect this but it does make it difficult the more money there is involved!

I am trying in future to get a minimum of a week in advance and i think if you don't mention any thing about arrears then you stand a chance! Nurseries will not let you pay in arrears and we are not a credit card business.

angeldelight
29-05-2009, 07:18 AM
I was always paid in arrears but now I am always paid in advance. Some of my parents still pay weekly but new ones I'm now asking for a month in advance.

Pip's right though - work out what suits you and stick to it

Miffy xx

Same here

I would always take payments in advance how ever you get paid

Good luck

Angel xx

Mollymop
29-05-2009, 07:22 AM
I always give them a choice. It has worked out quite well though, as I have weekly parents (their cash pays for my weekly shop) and monthly parents their money goes towards the bills.