PDA

View Full Version : Speach for an almost 16 month old

vix84
27-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi everyone,
so my mindee's mum comes in this morning and asks for some advice. She said the grandparents keep dropping comments about lo's speech and ask why he isnt saying anything, and keep trying to make him repeat things that make him go all shy.

So I said not to worry, they saw there h.visitor last month and she asked if he was saying anything yet and wasnt worried. I have heard him say 'no' and today he was practically saying 'up' and I have heard him say 'out' before too.

He tends to do make alot of facial expressions and hand gestures to express himslef, and he clearly understands simple requests etc. He was walking just before he was 1, and to me, he seems to understand alot.

At what age would you worry if a child was only occassionally saying a couple of words?

I think he is doing great, and told the mum that sometimes if children are advanced in other areas or concerntrating on learning something else, then speech or something else will take a back seat for a while, and to just use repetition alot and speak clearly, and to tell not the grandparents that he is saying a few words, and not to try and force him into speaking as this will make him clam up. I also told the mum that if he is going to speak, then Im sure he will do it more at home and with his parents where he feels most comfortable, so Im not suprised he wont say words after his grandparent.

I just wanted to reassure the mum as she has had pnd, and she said today she was worried they incase they were doing something wrong and thats why he wasnt speaking more.

My son is 11 months and uses the same phrases etc. for 'uh oh, all done, gone, no' and a tickling noise - but I think this is quite advanced - so it probably doesnt help when they come in and see him doing these things.
When there son started at 14 months I was amazed at how much he understood and how he could communicate without words exactly what he was trying to say!

Tatjana
27-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I think what you have told the mum is spot on, all children will have different areas of development where they can do better than in others.

It's probably not helping the mum for the grandie's to make such comments, too much pressure!

xx

littletreasures
27-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't worry too much.

I look after a 16 month old. He says butterfly, spider, flower, cat. But he signs loads.

They all do things at different ages. If he's understanding the speech will come.

carebear25
27-05-2009, 08:00 PM
i was very concerned bout my 18mth old son recently an stil am a bit but i was comparing him to my 18mth old mindee who is very advanced. I also compare him 2 my friends son who is a wk older an stil have my concerns... I know i shudnt compare him but i do.

Son will say, bye, hiya, night night, ta, daddy, mummy, nana, shoes, dog dog but not much else alot of hand gestures an eye contact. He understands wat u say 2 him an sumtimes he chooses 2 ignore.

If u ask him 2 repeat wat u say he gets upset bout it so i dont push him.

whereas mindee will repeat anythin u say 2 her.

this is where a unique child comes in2 play xx

ORKSIE
27-05-2009, 08:14 PM
If he is using a several words understanding some of what adults tell him then this is fine.
He is as someone else has said unique and they all develop at different rates.
If you wrire down the words he knows you will be suprised at how many there are.

AND Grandparents DO my flippin head in, making mums worry cos lo not doing this yet, cos whatshername down the roads son who is only 6 months old can ride a :censored: bike!:rolleyes:
Sorry!
Hope i not upset any grandparents:blush:

sarah707
27-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Children are unique individuals not performing monkeys! :rolleyes:

georgie456
28-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Children are unique individuals not performing monkeys! :rolleyes:

Exactly!!!! My 19mth old mindee literally only says "ta"

He will speak in his own sweet time! He understands everything we say and follows instructions etc etc. His parents are constantly worrying and trying to get him to repeat words and you can see him looking at them as if "yeah whatever" !!!

sonia ann
28-05-2009, 07:07 AM
my 19mth old mindee does not use any recognisable words other than ....no,bye and ta....however she can hold a conversation with you in her own " gobbledegook"....all the intonation is there, I know exactly when she is telling me off:) :) when she is asking me something and what she is asking for:laughing: As long as they are vocalising the "proper" speech will come.
My own son at 2yrs never said a word......he communicated in caveman like grunts....( not unlike his father now:laughing: )....then I realised his older brother was doing all the talking for him....son2 was just being lazy, why talk when someone else can do it for you?:laughing:

venus89
28-05-2009, 07:22 AM
I look after an 18 month old and until the last month or so it' been the same story - good understanding but few words. He seemed to have a few words at a time that he used, then a few weeks later he'd go onto a few more and not use the old ones again. Now, though, his speech is developing more quickly and he's adding to his word base on a weekly basis.

SOunds like you're doing a good job, and Mum too x

Gizmo
28-05-2009, 07:24 AM
sounds fine, my dd didnt say much up till about 17months now she doesnt stop :laughing:

tigger
28-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I have a little one and at 24 mnths he has only just started to become more vocal whereas another 17 mnth old says alot more. As Sarah707 says all individual!

vix84
28-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone, I think he is actually quite advanced in his understanding of things, and so does the mum. Maybe he is just doing more thinking:)

ORKSIE
28-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone, I think he is actually quite advanced in his understanding of things, and so does the mum. Maybe he is just doing more thinking:)

Oh yes, they take it all in:D

Chatterbox Childcare
28-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I have a 2 year old that can say mum, dad, duice and up and a one year old who walks around yelling "Debbie" when he cannot see me.

All children develop at different times as we know. Grandparents always want too much too quick.

Daddy Day Care
28-05-2009, 07:50 PM
My son is 2 in july, he can say daddy, mummy, bicbic, ta and no

Im not worried yet becuase it was the same for my daughter then she suddenly jsut picked it all up

Gareth
xx

vix84
28-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a 2 year old that can say mum, dad, duice and up and a one year old who walks around yelling "Debbie" when he cannot see me.

All children develop at different times as we know. Grandparents always want too much too quick.

ahh, thats cute!

The Juggler
28-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I had a two year old who only had a few words at over 2 but could understand and communicate what he wanted really well. I wouldn't get worried until well over 2 at least and then only if it affects how they communicate or you think they can't hear you.

Blackhorse
28-05-2009, 08:19 PM
sounds fine, my dd didnt say much up till about 17months now she doesnt stop :laughing:

haha...that is funny..

my DD is 16 months and doesn't say much. I get asked at playgroup by one mum all the time..does she talk yet, has she said this that or the other...and it makes me mad as I feel it is a competition for her.

I just said, not she doesn't but then again she is learning 2 languages so that takes them a bit longer...(I can do competition too you know!!)

But honestly, I would not worry about this at all. The child is way to young still to be worrying about the speach...tell her to maybe speak to the grandparents to explain it to them somehow. nothing worse than nagging elders that make mums freak out for no reason at all....:(

Bex1
30-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi
I can only echo what others have said. All children develop in their own ways and at there own speed! I mind children aged 12 mths, 18 months and 17 months and all completely different in abilities and speech.

The 18 month old says a few words but the 17 month old says quite a few, like plane, tractor etc. the 12 month old babbles but no definate words apart from dada and nana.

I was concerned a few months ago about my DD not having many words but she was too busy concentrating on running, climbing, jumping, taking her clothes off, putting shoes on etc but now she has mastered that she has developed all her words and in the past two months has started talking really well and say soo many words now...i think kids just do what they want in their own way, at their own pace! My DD is 21 mths.

PixiePetal
30-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree with all of the above. DS, when he was 18 months had a HV check. They asked if he could say 20 words, my reply was if you count moo,baa and woof then we might get 10! Perfectly normal 12 year old now. :D

Friend minded a 16 month old who could name every animal in the zoo including anteaters, kangaroo and alligator! Also loads of other words in half sentences. Really funny to hear, she was so tiny.

Mindee will be 2 in July and I hear very little sound in the way of real words from her - not surprised with 4 big brothers to do all the talking!! She understands a lot and follows instructions (if she wants to!) Very determined and the more I gently push, the tighter shut her lips stay. Have the next brother up from her too (3) so still has brother on hand at mine :D

grindal
30-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi
Just wanted to add my reassurance too - when my son was 2 years old we contacted the health visitor as he was not saying anything. He started saying a few words to us at home when he was about 30 months, but would not speak at all in his speech therapy sessions or at playgroup then over Christmas just before his 3rd bday he amazed us all by speaking in full sentences. He has not stopped since!
As lots of others have said they do things when they are good and ready - not when books say they should be :panic: