PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do.

tigger
27-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I have a parent who is driving me round the bend. Very critical and picky and will try to find fault in anything I do, e.g. only wrote two nappy changes in a book and the comment.. You only wrote two nappy changes down. I certainly hope that wasn't the case!?
Well you can probably imagine the response I would like to have given. This is no where near the only thing that has happened over the past year and unfortunately I am really starting to take humbridge to this. It wouldn't be so bad if the mindee wasn't very wingy and moany for no apparent reason. I always have alot going on for the children, they are never hungry, wet or dirty I am not sure how much more I can take. What should I do? Although I need the money not sure I need the agro.

butterfly
27-05-2009, 05:45 PM
does this child hold a place you think you can fill?

if so i think i would seriuosly think about giving notice to them and finding someone more appreciative of your hard work. Maybe you could mention the fact that she's obviously not happy about the care her child gets and that she may be better off finding another childminder!

If you don't want to be quite as blunt maybe you could think of another reason to give notice which isn't quite as personal! This week i've given notice to my annoying after school child because i couldn't take any more but i told the parent I had decided to only offer after school care 2 days a week because i wanted more time with my daughter! I didn't mention i was still going to continue on mon and wed just because that means i can keep my other not so annoying mindee!

i definately think you need to do something as it will wear you down other wise. Maybe just say you don't think the child has settled well enough despite your best efforts. even if you get the nappy comments sorted she will probably come back with something else as she just seems that sort of person.

i hope you find an answer!

Pipsqueak
27-05-2009, 06:22 PM
If its affecting you then I would say get rid. But I know its not that easy.

I would ask the parent in for a chat - and state that they appear to be unhappy with your service and is there anything you can do. You DON'T have to do it but you could add in that some of her comments can be quite upsetting (perhaps she honestly doesn't realise she is being so critical) but the longer you allow this to go on - her dictating to you, then the more she is going to think she owns you.

Nip this NOW one way or another and regain the control (never again will I allow myself to be in thsi position)

ORKSIE
27-05-2009, 06:34 PM
If you dont feel you could speak to parent face to face, as this can be difficult, maybe you could give ouy a questionairre asking q,s regarding your practice.
This may give you some idea why she feels she needs to moan, then again you may look at her responses and wonder why she complains.
Then if you decide to have a chat with her you will have some ideas to put forward.
Not sue if this is any help, hope it is:thumbsup:

miffy
27-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I'd try talking to her, especially if it is getting you down but only if you feel you can discuss things without getting upset/angry.

Good luck

Miffy xx

tigger
27-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Funnily enough I have only just a couple of weeks ago done a questionnaire and she put funny comments on there aswell. We were supposed to do her review a couple of months ago and she said as both of them had been made redundant could we leave it until they have new jobs as hours etc. may change. I said no problem but still decided to give all my parents a questionnaire to fill out. All of my parents apart from her are happy about everything I do, the fees, level of info about their children.
I had started using the dora diary sheet as I was getting fed up of writing long essays everyday and she said that the level of information was less recently, even though the level of information was exactly the same and just set out differently, she was mainly happy with the charge but wouldn't elaborate as to why, although she would like to see a meal included in the price (had she of had the review I would have said that now dd was over 12 mnths would she be happy for me to give her food, something that I said when she 1st visited) and she also wanted more photos of activities that had been done.
Before giving her the questionaire I had restarted the diary the way I had done it before and given her quite a few pages of photos with how they link into the EYFS and she still put a comment in the diary about how she found it funny that two things she had put on the questionnaire were done before, funny great minds think alike!!! (my mind is nothing like that believe me!!!), also she must have forgotten about the meal being included in the price (funny that ey!) :mad: I know that I am offering a service and I should use it in a positive way to improve my setting but if 3 parents think its really good I must be doing something right mustent I? Sorry for going on like a broken record but I am really struggling with this one I find it so hard and thank you for listening to me moan.

miffy
27-05-2009, 07:15 PM
You just can't please some people but.................... at least you can show Ofsted that you are listening to what parents say and acting on it :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

jeanybeany
27-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I've had a parent like this recently and in the end decided I didn't need her constantly not treating me like a professional. The children were also quite demanding and I thought this was upsetting the others. I gave notice and even though I miss the money and know there's no way I will fill the spaces soon I feel much better.

You know in your heart what to do and what is right for you.

Jeanybeany

ORKSIE
27-05-2009, 07:30 PM
You just can't please some people but.................... at least you can show Ofsted that you are listening to what parents say and acting on it :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

yep Miffy, couldnt have put it better myself:thumbsup: