PDA

View Full Version : emergency contact details

mozarella
27-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I am putting a letter in the glove box of the car in case of emergency stating that I am a childminder and that the children in the car may not all be mine but children I care for. In my policy I stated that I would put name of child and parents contact details.

I am dealing with a single mum, would you also put a second emergency number ( in this case the aunt) or just put the mum's details

rickysmiths
27-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I carry a very small photo album with me all the time, either in my handbag, minding bag or my pocket on short school runs. It has the following in it:

A photo of each child
A slip with their name, parents names and all contact phone numbers for them.
The days and hour the child is normally with me.
A second slip with the date of birth, GP's name and phone number, any allergies and the parents signed consent to seek hospital or other emergency care.

The first page has a photo of me and my children, all my emergency contact numbers, dh, my dad and mil. My childrens names, dob and school with the phone number. The fact that I am a childminder.

I had a card for each child before but I always carry the info on me, it is never left in the car I would be afraid what would happen if the car was broken into.

Tatjana
27-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I've yet to do any of this, waiting for mindees!:D

I was advised by my CDO not to use childrens photos or even their names, just parent name and contact number.

xx

rickysmiths
27-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I've yet to do any of this, waiting for mindees!:D

I was advised by my CDO not to use childrens photos or even their names, just parent name and contact number.

xx

There are different schools of thought on this. I (touching wood like mad!!!!) have never lost the details and feel comfotable with photos and names because I have so many children on my books and they are all with me at slightly different times and days I want to be sure in the worst circumstances someone would know they were contacting the correct families.

I explain to parents what I do and have never had a compliant in 3 years of doing it this way.:thumbsup:

Blue Boy
27-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Both sally and I carry NCMA Emergency contact cards, we also give all parents a card as well.

Mick

nikim
27-05-2009, 05:58 PM
i use a similar method childs photo names hours/days and emergency contact details and give this information to my backup minder i have a card on my person all the time stating the children with me may not be my own and to contact my backup minder and my husband in the event of an accident, not sure if its the right thing to do but ofsted were happy with this and the parents are happy,
also on another note another minder friend had to call an ambulance for a mindee that was having an asthma attack ,and all they wanted was parents info ,address ,gp, allergies, she uses ncma pack so all this info is in seperate places iyswim, so she now has this info on a seperate sheet in the front of each childs folder, so that in an emergency she can hand it over with the child, something i must do soon:rolleyes:

Curly Quavers
27-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I have made my own credit card size laminated and held together with a key ring.

Mine have name of child, Photo, doctor, dentist & allergy info and 3 emergency contact numbers.

I do think they should have the name and photo because if I had a 9month old baby and 15 month child neither will be talking all that much, how would the police or anybody who was there to help me know which child is which.

miffy
27-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I carry all the children's emergency contact details with me but they don't have photographs.

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
27-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I carry photos because i care for a few children where their vebal description could apply to more than one of them. In the case of three boys you would struggle to describe anything different about them, age, eye colour and hair, height etc is all the same, but they are not related, but have been mistaken for triplets. Also my dd and a minded girl are very very similar to the point even i have mistaken them for each other from a distance in the classroom and their verbal description to age, height, eye and hair colour is the same, the only important difference is the minded child has allergies.

For this reason i would rather run the risk of a lost photo, but know that if ever i had an accident reliable information on each child would be given to the right parents, especially if there was an injury to one of the children, imagine a parent thinking well is it my child or not that is hurt?

Jen4Kids
28-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I also carry a laminated credit-card sized info tag which has a photo of mindee, the words 'i may be with my childminder, please phone..(2 emergency numbers) in case of emergency, then on the back ive written any allergies etc, i then hole punch them, join them to a keyring and attach them to my travel first aid kit which stays on the pushchair :thumbsup:

Ive also made one up for my mindee parents which says, 'my child may be with my childminder, incase of emergency please phone (then my mobile number)' Both my parents loved this :blush:

TheBTeam
28-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I also carry a laminated credit-card sized info tag which has a photo of mindee, the words 'i may be with my childminder, please phone..(2 emergency numbers) in case of emergency, then on the back ive written any allergies etc, i then hole punch them, join them to a keyring and attach them to my travel first aid kit which stays on the pushchair :thumbsup:

Ive also made one up for my mindee parents which says, 'my child may be with my childminder, incase of emergency please phone (then my mobile number)' Both my parents loved this :blush:

I give the parents a card too which says that their children may be in the care of a childminder, but i advise them to put on it the number of someone that would be prepared to have their kids and who knows where there kids are and how to contact me, i don't want the emergency services phoning me if there is a problem with the parents really, or for me to have to then deal fully with the kids, i would prefer them to use their network wherever possible and within reason to have the kids go home! Sorry if this sounds harsh but i would rather someone close to the family dealt with any issues and then contacted me!

Chatterbox Childcare
28-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I used to have a card with the child photo and contact details on but the insurance section of NCMA advised me against it.

Now I have a card that says I am a childminder and some of these children may not be own ..... blah blah. In case of an emergency please contact... and then there are the names of 2 relief childminders and their phone numbers and then my husbands. Both childminders have a copy of my record information sheets for all the children to refer to and the parents names and numbers in their phones. All numbers are in my phone too. Hubby knows where the file is at home if required.

Curly Quavers
29-05-2009, 09:21 PM

I think that is a great idea. The little girl I have starting with me on Monday her parent struggled to give me 2 emergency contacts because they are not from around here. I would be happy to help if I they needed me to. It would hurt your rep either if other knew you are so willing to help out. (not free of charge of course) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
29-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I used to have a card with the child photo and contact details on but the insurance section of NCMA advised me against it.

Why did they advise you against having photos?

Miffy xx