PDA

View Full Version : Eating question

johnnydepp1
27-05-2009, 12:20 PM
when the children are having their breakfast/lunch/dinner whatever they have with you, do you eat at the same time as them or do you eat when they are asleep later

another childminder i know doent eat when the children are there, she said she doesnt have time, just wondered if everyone does this or whether you eat with the children

FizzysFriends
27-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I eat lunch with the children, but I wouldn't eat my evening meal with them because I like mine quite late.

her8y
27-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I always eat lunch with my mindees as I think its a nice social opportunity. I dont do evening meals for my mindees (only occasionally) but I think it really depends on what suits you, how many mindees you have and their ages.:D

Blackhorse
27-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I haven't started yet but I think I would want to eat lunch with the kids.
I eat lunch with my own dd so don't see why I shouldn't eat lunch with the mindees.
after all I think it is nice to all sit together and enjoy lunch which should in my opinion be part of a families life!

(also I think it migh give you the change to actually get to eat something and have a quick sit down too. You might have an older child that doesn't go for a nap...

will be interesting to see what experienced cms have to say though!

estrelas
27-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Same here, i eat lunch with them as its a good time to chat about things

I eat later at night so rarely have tea with them

youarewhatyoueat
27-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I try to eat with mine but find they both need help as both 14 months so tend to eat when they have a sleep and I catch up on the forum!!!

PixiePetal
27-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Depends on ages and stages of children. It's nice to eat lunch together but not always practical.

On Thursdays I have 3 mindees. All bring packed lunch and we have toddler group in the morning. When we get back, lunch starts. One goes home at 12.45 another at 1pm, so with filling in their diaries and seeing them off and seeing to the 4 yr old. I wait till after. 4 yr old has a bit of TV and a sit down while I get my food.

Other days I eat with the children as it's not such a rush.

Evening meals are family only as we eat later - even stopped doing tea for older mindees in hols as I think they are old enough to wait till after 5.30 when they go home for tea. My teens don't want their main meal that early and nor do I!

The Juggler
27-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I used to when I had all pre-schoolers (3 and 4). Then I had two babies and it was impractical with feeding etc.

Now they are toddlers I've got in a habit so I make lunch and sit and chat with them with a drink then have my lunch when they have their nap.

At teatime I sit or stand and chat with older children depends onwhether there is spare chair which often their isn't or I chatter about their day whilst I do the dishes (as table is in kitchen).

sarah707
27-05-2009, 02:24 PM
We always sit together at the table.

it's a great fun time ... :D

Pipsqueak
27-05-2009, 03:26 PM
We eat together

sparkibobs
27-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I allways try to eat together, thursdays is my needing to be an octopus day with 2 under 18mths and my 2 yr old, but if they have finger foods we manage quite well.
x