PDA

View Full Version : mindee with a plaster cast

beckyteddy
27-05-2009, 10:28 AM
My 2 year old mindee has broken his wrist over the bank holiday weekend (fell over with his uncle during a shouder ride) and I just wondered if anyone has minded or looked after their own children with plastered arms before?

Firstly, I'm going to ask a really obvious question........It is still ok for me to mind a child with a plaster cast isn't it? The injury will be over a week old by the time he comes to me next week and he will have been to the hospital for his check-up/assessment on Friday, so I'm thinking that that will all be fine.

I guess then I will need to do an existing injuries form, and obviously ask his mum for lots of details on how to keep him comfy and how he is adjusting to the cast etc.

His mum said that he may need some Calpol if his arm seems to be getting more painfull/aching so I'll need to get her to sign the "permission to administer short course of medicine or treatment daily" form from my NCMA Medication Folder.

Is there anything else I need to do, or forms I need to complete? Or hint's and tips on keeping him happy while he's all plastered up?

PixiePetal
27-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Looks like you have covered everything. Kids go to school with casts on so should be fine :)

beckyteddy
27-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks PixiePetal, thats what I was thinking too:)

Alibali
27-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I would maybe do a risk assessment for any concerns ie toileting and active play and about informing the other mindees ( cast can hurt other people if you get hit with them:) )

Chatterbox Childcare
27-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I had a little one with a broken leg and we carried on as before.

I wouldn;t do risk assessments in written form as you would help this child in the toilet anyway - to me it is just not needed and makes more paperwork.

FizzysFriends
27-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I think you are meant to keep them dry so wet/messy play it might have to be covered.

rickysmiths
27-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh dear poor boy. I have known children of this age and older who have worn out their plasters and have had to have a new one or pop to the hospital to be reinforced!! lol :laughing: :laughing:

her8y
27-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh dear poor boy. I have known children of this age and older who have worn out their plasters and have had to have a new one or pop to the hospital to be reinforced!! lol :laughing: :laughing:

My mindee had to have his replaced!:laughing:

Just remember to cover it with a bag for sand play too as sand can get inside the cast and the arm may become sore
:thumbsup:

Blackhorse
27-05-2009, 12:32 PM
the poor sould... hope his hand doesn't hurt him too much.

when I was 9 I had a broken leg...was awful.
but I enjoyed being the center of attention for a while (everyone was wishing me well and other kids where writing, drawing on the cast...that was fun)

oh and I had to use a knitting needle to scratch my leg under the cast as it was itchy!!! LOL

Blaze
27-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I looked after a mindee aged 2 with a broken wrist...we used his limbo for water'messy play.
Hth:)

sarah707
27-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I had this recently. It's amazing how fast they adapt.

Hope little one is ok! xx

helenlc
27-05-2009, 04:48 PM
oh and I had to use a knitting needle to scratch my leg under the cast as it was itchy!!! LOL

I was watching something the other day and they tell you not to do this anymore. Apparently you can scratch the skin and then cos its all warm it gets infected and you create another problem.

My son broke his wrist a couple of years ago and had his arm in a cast right up to just below his shoulder. We mostly carried on as normal although he needed help pulling his trousers down - he was 10 bless him so found this a bit embarrassing. (He couldnt wipe his bottom either:( )

Just keep it dry and clean. Help make her comfortable when she is resting - son used cushions to prop it up.

Erika
27-05-2009, 05:59 PM
It has to be kept dry at all times, as if it gets wet it will need re plastering. Also, keep a lookout for the exposed fingers. If they look greyish, purply or very pale it is an indicator that swelling has occured and the plaster cast has become too tight, and again he would immediately have to go to the hospital for it to be re examined and replastered.

The mum should have got a form from the hospital which gives basic info which would help you with writing a risk assessment and show you what to look out for.

beckyteddy
27-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, I only look after this little boy 2 days a week so I think I can find other things to do in order to keep him out of the messy tray!

He doesn't have brilliant co-ordination at the best of times, so the thing I'm most worried about is him loosing his balance and landing on it!

I'll definatley keep a look out for purple fingers etc. and I'll add any extra notes to his daily diary or contact his mum immediately if anything seems really amiss. Thanks again:)

Blackhorse
27-05-2009, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=helenlc;433427]I was watching something the other day and they tell you not to do this anymore. Apparently you can scratch the skin and then cos its all warm it gets infected and you create another problem.
QUOTE]

I suppose that makes sense...but it would have taken a lot of strong men to keep me from scratching my leg as the cast really made it itch like hell - from what I can remember...:-)