PDA

View Full Version : Assistants

DudleyChildmind
27-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Good morning :)

Does anyone know what qualifications an assistant would need to have and also would they be allowed to take or collect children from school please?

Daftbat
27-05-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't think that an assistant is able to work independantly from you so they wouldn't be able to pick up from school etc.

I am prepared to be wrong though - just going on what i remember from other posts.

tinkerbelle
27-05-2009, 07:16 AM
im sure ive read somewhere that you can apply to ofsted for the assistant to do the school runs and be left with the chidlren for short periods as long as they are first aid trained, you have permission from ofsted and the parents for the assistant to do this sure someone else will have more information but thats my understanding on it

DudleyChildmind
27-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Thank you both very much :)

Chatterbox Childcare
27-05-2009, 07:50 AM
This changed in April and the following applies:

To be working along side you without sole charge the assistant needs to complete an EY2 form which is available on the Ofsted website which will give them a CRB check and then you will get a letter of acceptability from Ofsted.

To be in sole charge on all registers the assistant would need the EY2 form and clearance as above, a paediatric first aid certificate and written permission from parents.

You also need in either case to get an Employers Public Liability insurance which is available from your insurance company. If you are with NCMA they charge £5 but if you have a student working with you tell them and it is Free.

On the EY Register the assistant can be on your premises alone. On the Compulsory/Voluntary Reigster they can drop off/collect from school but cannot enter your premises until you are there (I think that this is ridiculous and will be changed at the next meeting of the DCSF when they discuss this).

Hope that helps you.

deeb66
27-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Here is the link to the Ofsted publication which explains it all.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-The-use-of-assistants-by-childminders-on-the-Early-Years-and-Childcare-Registers/(language)/eng-GB

HTH

Dee
xx

DudleyChildmind
27-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks very much for your advice :)

I was thinking of asking my son to help as an assistant while my daughter is on maternity leave. She looks after children before and after school and we are trying to think of a way to save upheaving the children. I thought I could ask my son to do it while I'm during a school run at a different school as he is already CRB checked but he isn't First Aid trained. I wonder how much it would cost him to go on a course?