PDA

View Full Version : Settling in sessions

Cazz
26-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I plan to finish my policies by the end of this week but am not sure what to put in about settling in sessions.

How many sessions do you offer and for how long?

Do you encourage the parent/s to stay for the first one or do you play it by ear depending on how the child is.

Also, do you try where possible to arrange the settling in sessions within the times you would be minding the child or when you have fewer or no children so you can give more attention to the new mindee or just whenever it is convenient for you both?

Finally, do you charge for any of the settling in sessions?

Thanks

Carole x

amirose
27-05-2009, 05:40 AM
I tell my parents they are entitled to 2 free one hour settling in sessions
I don't tell them this but if I feel their child needs more than that I won't charge them and if they feel their child needs more (but I don't) then I would charge for those extra sessions.
I try (if all goes well) to do it in this format
1. Parent comes for meeting with child and free plays while I chat to mum and sign contracts etc
2. Parent comes for first settling in session when no other children are here and stays for half the session
3. Parent stays for a few minutes, says goodbye, then comes back in an hour.

I can usually judge by second session wether they will need more.

Daftbat
27-05-2009, 07:18 AM
I don't charge for settling in sessions and never have. I think that its important that the child and parent are not rushed and have sufficient opportunity to build up a comfortable relationship with the minder.

Some children are more confident than others and i don't want to put the parent in the position of feeling that they must rush the settling in or reduce the time because they are conscious of the costs.

Mollymop
27-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I have 2 free settling in sessions that last 2 hours. Usually though the parents are fine with one. Some people do charge though.
MAke sure though, that the parents have signed up and you have take a deposit if you are thinking of not charging for settling in sessions.

I had a parent once who bought their child for a settling in session and asked to sign up after the settling in sessions becasue she was going to see other childminders in the mean time! That settling in session didn't happen!

angeldelight
27-05-2009, 07:30 AM
It depends on the child I think and the parent

Some are happy with no setting in period some want a few hours or more

Some children settle very easy , some do not and have never been away from home before

I usually offer 3 days of 2 hours each without pay but if a parent wants more I am happy to go along with it
It has never happened yet though

Angel xx

angeldelight
27-05-2009, 07:30 AM
I had a parent once who bought their child for a settling in session and asked to sign up after the settling in sessions becasue she was going to see other childminders in the mean time! That settling in session didn't happen!

:angry: :angry: What a damn cheek

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
27-05-2009, 07:43 AM
What I generally offer is roughly: (this is all played by ear)

half hour visit with parent
1 hour visit - parent stops for a bit and then goes of for a walk or trip to shops
half hour visit without parent
1 hour visit with out parent
I do not charge for these sessions and would offer a couple more sessions if needed. I have found that the 1 hour session without parent has not really ever been needed though

Mouse
27-05-2009, 08:32 AM
First of all I do a visit with parents which can last anytime from 30 mins to 2 hours or more.

If parents then tell me they want to take the place they come back to ask any further questions, to clarify hours etc and to sign contracts.

I then invite parents & child (usually just mum & child come) to come & meet the other mindees that they will be here with, so this depends on the contracted days. Parents stay for this session & it's only for an hour at the most.

Child then comes for an hour. Parent is encouraged to come in for a quick chat only, then go. I will try to do this on a day when I have no other children, so I can give all my attention to the child. This session is mainly for the parents' benefit to give them that first experience of leaving their child.

I nearly always have new children from babies, so I then do a half day session that includes lunch, so that I have had chance to feed the baby, make sure I have all the right equipment etc.

It's always worked well for me, the children & the parents. I don't charge for any of these sessions.

her8y
27-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I tell my parents they are entitled to 2 free one hour settling in sessions
I don't tell them this but if I feel their child needs more than that I won't charge them and if they feel their child needs more (but I don't) then I would charge for those extra sessions.
I try (if all goes well) to do it in this format
1. Parent comes for meeting with child and free plays while I chat to mum and sign contracts etc
2. Parent comes for first settling in session when no other children are here and stays for half the session
3. Parent stays for a few minutes, says goodbye, then comes back in an hour.

I can usually judge by second session wether they will need more.

I do exactly the same:D

mozarella
27-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I had my first settling in session today, I didnt charge as I feel it was important for the children and me to get used to each other especially being my first mindees. The mum came to fill the paperwork, she stayed quite a long time, we talked while the children played and did the papers while interacting with the children. At the end she decided not to leave them as she could see after over 1 hours that the children were happy and I was happy and confident that it will be fine.

They are starting on Monday.

My policy is really flexible, saying I am happy to offer settling in sessions for the parents to stay or go ( in a bit more sofisticated way lol)

rickysmiths
27-05-2009, 01:58 PM
We had one parent, a couple of years ago, who insisted on a half day settling and she did that with three of us in one week and another two the week after telling each of us she was going to sign a contract. :eek:

It all happened so close together that we did realise what was going on and she got 21/2 days free childcare. :( :angry: :eek:

Ever since then I have not done any 'taster sessions' before a contract is signed and a deposit paid.

I now charge full fees for all settling in.