PDA

View Full Version : how rude

jrolfe72
26-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Hello new to this site, but have got some great info from it and need some advise..

Just updated my policies and emailed it to my parents, one parents has given me a copy back, with all my spelling mistakes highlighted and loads of questions about legislation and telling what I can do and can not do regarding passing information on.

I am furious that this has happened ( yes I know I should have checked spellings etc over and over again) but I feel like I am at school and fell very undermined. Do I reply back with answers ( better not do it tonight as my answers may not be very polite)

sarah707
26-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Try and treat it as part of your professional development.

Smile, thank the parent for her advice.

If the parent has highlighted what she considers errors I suggest you urgently contact your development officer for more information.

Breathe and sleep on it! :D

georgie456
26-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I do completely agree with Sarah's advice but my goodness that would make me mad!!!!!!!!
It does seem rather patronising to be checking spelling mistakes for you :angry:

Pipsqueak
26-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I agree with Sarah and yes it is rude and ignorant of the parent but take it in your stride and be all sweetness and light.

Ask them exactly what they are questioning - is it something we can help with perhaps?

Buzz Lightyear
26-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Eeeek, I would be upset too! Hope the parent isn't a teacher :o

Great advice from Sarah as always :thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
26-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Perhaps you could email it to sarah if she wouldn't mind looking at it or pauline, and get their opinion, try to take it as helpful critisism even though the parent handled it badly.

sarah707
26-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Perhaps you could email it to sarah if she wouldn't mind looking at it or pauline, and get their opinion, try to take it as helpful critisism even though the parent handled it badly.

Sorry I should have said I'm always happy to have a look...

I'll pm you my email.

If there's a legal concern I am not an expert but I do know the Eyfs pretty well :D

Blaze
26-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Pretty well...you know more than the so called experts!:D :thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
26-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Pretty well...you know more than the so called experts!:D :thumbsup:

ditto:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
26-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I will ditto the ditto :laughing:

Sarah for Early Years Minister!

SimplyLucy
27-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Try and look at it in a positive manner......at least they have read your policy!

I'm sure my parents just shove my policies to one side and never read them. They all return a bit of paper siging to say they have read and agree with them but I don't believe they ever have!

amirose
27-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Hello new to this site, but have got some great info from it and need some advise..

Just updated my policies and emailed it to my parents, one parents has given me a copy back, with all my spelling mistakes highlighted and loads of questions about legislation and telling what I can do and can not do regarding passing information on.

I am furious that this has happened ( yes I know I should have checked spellings etc over and over again) but I feel like I am at school and fell very undermined. Do I reply back with answers ( better not do it tonight as my answers may not be very polite)

Ooh thats a little harsh. I always put at the end of my policies "if you have any concerns regarding this policy please do not hesitate to contact me" but by that I do mean discuss I would very upset at a parent defacing my hard work :panic:

Mollymop
27-05-2009, 06:41 AM
That is very rude! I hope you feel better about it all this morning. x

mandy moo
27-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Even if she is right about the things she highlighted, not a very tactfull way of doing it me thinks!!
How does your parent know all these things, is she an early years teacher or something similar I wonder?

tigger
27-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I can totally sympathise. I have a parent like that, doesn't praise you for all the nice things but is the first to critisise or write things in the parents comments that are negative. All the other parents are fine. It doesn't make you feel good and by writing the policies you are only looking after their childs welfare at the end of the day.:mad:

Erika
27-05-2009, 05:54 PM
As a parent, she has the right to ask questions in regard to legislation if she doesn't understand it. However if she believes it to be incorrect, she should check those facts out for herself and raise it as a concern if she finds anything to be incorrect. From an objective point of view, it really depends what exactly it is she is questioning. If she is saying that you cannot pass on information in regard to child protection, she is completely wrong. If you believe a child is being neglected or abused, you have a duty and a right to pass the relevant information to the relevant authority. If she's talking about sharing information with Tax Credits, again if they ring you up and ask questions about the fees or hours of childcare you are in your rights to refuse to provide the information in accordance with the data protection act if they cannot verify who they are by answering security questions, in the same manner that they can refuse to discuss a claim with any individual who rings them and fails the security check, HOWEVER, if they don't have the information they require, or believe her to be on the fiddle, then they could suspend her claim (temporarily stop payments) and I'm sure she wouldn't be happy about that!! It really depends on whom you are sharing the information with and what sort of information. If it is the likes of Tax Credits that she is questioning you can ask them to make any enquiries in writing for security purposes.

As for highlighting the spelling mistakes, that is not only petty and small minded but bang out of order! As she corrected the spelling mistakes she clearly understood what you meant but to highlight them and send it back to you is just plain horrid.

claireLouise
27-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I seem to be the only one that doesn't understand - you asked for feedback and becuase it is negative you are having a tantrum! I would expect parent's to comment on errors, highlighting is the eaiest and most efficient way to do this.

Sorry but you are being overly sensitive.

Regards

Claire

Pipsqueak
27-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I seem to be the only one that doesn't understand - you asked for feedback and becuase it is negative you are having a tantrum! I would expect parent's to comment on errors, highlighting is the eaiest and most efficient way to do this.

Sorry but you are being overly sensitive.

Regards

Claire

Do you think that its ok for someone to point out someone elses spelling mistakes? Not sure the OP had asked for feedback - yes perhaps the parent thought she was being 'helpful' but there ARE more tactful ways of doing it.
I actually think you are being the insensitve one here - you are saying the OP is having a 'tantrum' and is overly sensitve - no I actually just think she is sounding off - like we all have a right too (after all thats what this site is for isn't).

As for a parent questioning my professional materials about what I can and can't do - well tbh I would patiently explain that what I have put in my P&P's is all about the job I do and I KNOW my job and what I can and can;t do and I wouldn;t make up a load of old waffle just to bamboozle parents.
Now if this parent didn't understand and wanted clarifcation pointers on the legislation etc - again nicer ways of asking isn't there.

Perhaps you don't understand because you have never had 'one of those parents' and you don't know the hurt, anxiety and frustration a parent can cause - especially the ones who project their own going out to work guilt onto you

Tups
27-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't like here to see my spelling she world have a field day with it very rude of her :angry: tups x

Tups
27-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Do you think that its ok for someone to point out someone elses spelling mistakes? Not sure the OP had asked for feedback - yes perhaps the parent thought she was being 'helpful' but there ARE more tactful ways of doing it.
I actually think you are being the insensitve one here - you are saying the OP is having a 'tantrum' and is overly sensitve - no I actually just think she is sounding off - like we all have a right too (after all thats what this site is for isn't).

As for a parent questioning my professional materials about what I can and can't do - well tbh I would patiently explain that what I have put in my P&P's is all about the job I do and I KNOW my job and what I can and can;t do and I wouldn;t make up a load of old waffle just to bamboozle parents.
Now if this parent didn't understand and wanted clarifcation pointers on the legislation etc - again nicer ways of asking isn't there.

Perhaps you don't understand because you have never had 'one of those parents' and you don't know the hurt, anxiety and frustration a parent can cause - especially the ones who project their own going out to work guilt onto you Hear hear well put Pipsqueak :clapping: :clapping: tups x :thumbsup:

loocyloo
28-05-2009, 12:07 PM
i have a 'mum', who is also a good friend, and works as an editor !!!

i cheekily ;) ask her to proof read everything for spellings etc, and she does, and is really good about it, or says if something is unclear. BUT, only when i ask! she has NEVER commented on anything else i may write/send! :D