PDA

View Full Version : Wat am I doing wrong??

carebear25
26-05-2009, 06:38 PM
not one direct enquiry.....
The 1 minded I have 3 days is friends daughter, got a 4yr starting in sept just afta school (contracts yet to be signed) that cum from another childminder.

But other than them nothing. Advert in soft play centre, toddler groups, car sticker. Been registered since April - thank god 4 friend an lo not settlin at nursery.
:panic:

Tatjana
26-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Whatever it is, I am doing it too:(

I'm getting really disheartened with it.

I'm sure we've done our best and it's nothing to do with us, just how things are atm.

When i read about others having upto 11 mindees, i just wonder "how did they manage that?" when i can't manage even 1.

xx

georgie456
26-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't think you are doing anything wrong - it can take a while for things to get moving.

To be honest, when I started I advertised everywhere but the only enquiries I have ever had have been either through the Family Information Service (what used to be Childen's Info) and word of mouth.

Is there a local childminding group you can join? I attend a weekly toddler group for CM's and if we get calls but do not have spaces we pass them on to others from the group that we know are looking for work. Or have a chat with your Network Co-ordinater or GEM- they should help you find your feet.
Hope that helps

Good luck and stay positive :)

sophiestars
26-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I would say get out and about to toddler groups with the lo. Virtually everywhere I go as soon as you get into the 'how old's your little one' etc 'oh she's not mine, I'm a childminder' conversation they say oooh I might be looking for a childminder soon when i go back to work or 'I know someone who needs a childminder'. Word of mouth is very powerful

I think sometimes people have more confidence in you when they have actually seen you in person with your little ones at groups rather than cold calling someone from an advert.

Don't worry though, it will happen for you soon. I seem to be finding with the credit crunch that alot of Mum's are having to go back to work sooner than they had originally planned because they need the money, so there are more and more needing childcare.

youarewhatyoueat
26-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes definately word of mouth especially when people see how well you look after other peoples children in public, i'm always aware that people may be watching if they know i'm a cm, and make sure your health visitor knows you're a cm and the local playgroups.Thats where most of my enquiries have come from.

Tatjana
26-05-2009, 10:02 PM
The problem i have is that at the play groups it's the same regular mums! They don't need childcare as they're stay at home mums and I can't go to childminder drop ins without a mindee!

I've tried very hard to 'spread the word' but not one person has said the magic words yet!

xx

Daddy Day Care
26-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Are you sure you cant go to the childminder drop ins without a mindee? I only ask because I go to these where I am and im not registered yet so I dont have any mindees, obviously it may be different where you are.

Gareth
xx

Daftbat
27-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Your story is very familiar and was the same for me when i first started minding. The difference was that i had just had a baby myself and so i wasn't really wanting loads of kids to look after.

You will find that things pick up. A lot of parents prefer to go with minders who have been doing it a long time as they think they have more experience - not strictly true since many new minders have been mums for years - but parents don't always appreciate that.

Keep your chin up and get yourself known - go to toddlers just for a coffee and get talking to everyone. Dish out your business cards too.:)

Gizmo
27-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I have same problem any time I say to anyone I am starting I always get thats a great idea theres not many cm round here you will be busy. I have put ads up in the local shops and have a notice on my car but I cant go to toddlers with my lo as I am still working full time.I have had one enquiry last week and she said she was going to call back but hasnt:angry: and that came from another cm who recommended me.

angeldelight
27-05-2009, 07:27 AM
I dont think you are doing anything wrong

I just think it seems to be the same for most all over at the moment

Continue to advertise etc and do not give up

Sending you good luck vibes

Angel xx

Mollymop
27-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I am sure you are not doing anything wrong. I haven't had an enquiry for months. Usually I get them quite often, but nothing for a while.

There are so many people out of work at the moment it makes it difficult for us.

I hope things work out for you soon x

Pipsqueak
27-05-2009, 07:50 AM
I tell ALL my supports (and established) its ok by me to come down to drop ins without a child! lol

I do think its slow for business in many places - I haven't had a rush of enquiries and I have been up and running for 4 years or so now - I have had periods where I haven't had an enquiry for nearly 9 months.

Keep your chin up - try to reinvent your advertising - put it on bright coloured paper - perhaps advertise yourself as b4/after school care as well.
A t-shirt perhaps . Keep your FIS listing updated 2 weekly.

Think outside the box - can you do pick ups for other schools/nurseries maybe, what can you offer that seems bright and attractive? I had to add an additional school to my list - just to get some work (and I knew only 1 other minder worked from that school as opposed to 8 who go to the school my kids attend) and bingo I got some work. Its a tight squeeze picking up mindee from her nursery and then scooting up the road to collect own son from nursery but I can do it with a little bit of understanding from sons nursery and its only for a term till he starts school in sept.

good luck

Tatjana
27-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Are you sure you cant go to the childminder drop ins without a mindee? I only ask because I go to these where I am and im not registered yet so I dont have any mindees, obviously it may be different where you are.

Gareth
xx

That's what i was told by my CDO, i thought as i was registered it would be ok but she said not....think i might double check that though, just in case!

xx

carebear25
27-05-2009, 01:03 PM
ive got my business cards and postcards all ready an as soon as son an mindee wake up we r goin 4 a walk round local shops.

i am a new member of network so hopefully once i get recognised shud get a few enquiries.

toddler group - i have bein goin 2 since son was 3 mths old an found that it is same people every week an they know me an have got their childcare sorted an 2 b honest i now feel like i need to get a mindee whos parent i dont know as i am quite friendly wit al at toddler group.

ive got a school pickup startin in sept an he is not from the nearest school 2 me so wouldnt b able 2 take on another after school plus he wil take up my only 5-8yr space (im only registered for 3)

fingers crossed sumthin will happen, if my current mindee was full time it wud b ok but she is only wit me 3 days a wk an sumtimes 2 days as grandma has her (still get paid)

on the plus side i still get 2 do things with my son 1 on 1 xxx

thanks for all advice will keep u posted

Blue Boy
27-05-2009, 03:42 PM
You are not doing anything wrong:) It does take time. When Sally gave up her job it was on the basis of getting 2 brothers, but the day before the contracts were due to be signed the parent pulled out. It took nearly a year to build up the business and finally patients paid off, so much so that two years ago I gave up my job to work full time with her (previously working on a part time basis).

It will come, the best advice i can give is flood your local area with adverts. With summer coming and soon after a new school year starting people will be looking around.

Good luck

Love

Mick xx