PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Patio Door OPEN

helenlc
26-05-2009, 12:57 PM
So I have my new conservatory and its lovely - the kids are enjoying playing out there.

It is accessed through my front room by my patio doors. To get into it, requires my patio door to be open.

My question is this - is there a product that I can put in the runner/space at the bottom of the door so it cannot be shut by the children? I would ask DH to make a piece of wood that would sit in the runner but I am not sure how this would stand with Oftsed/my insurance in regards to meeting regulations etc.

I have those moulded door jammers but worry that at great speed the patio door will just make a dent in this and not save the children at all.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

PixiePetal
26-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Never had a problem with mine so no advice i am afraid. Inspections over the past 15 years never picked up on it for any reason so think it will be fine.

It's a sliding door.

Chanelle
26-05-2009, 01:47 PM
My conservatory dooropens inwards so I have a small hook on the window frame to make sure we dont get any trapped fingers.

Maybe you could do smae thing in or out, which ever way it opens ?

aly
26-05-2009, 01:55 PM
my friend has patio doors and she hooks hers outside.

jeanybeany
26-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I have proper fingerguards on my patio doors. They go from the bottom and stop half way up the door on the inside. They just stuck to the frame. I also have a hook on the outside so they can't just push it closed. Don't know if that's what you mean.

I have got two for sale if u are interested just pm me (they were a pack of 4)!

Jeanybeany:)

TheBTeam
26-05-2009, 02:34 PM
I have a sliding patio door from living room into conservatory and the children are just told not to shut it, it would take quite some pushing from a very little child.

I sometimes use it to shut the older ones into the conservatory so that they can do things without being disturbed by the little ones.

Ofsted have never said anything about the door.

helenlc
26-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I was more worried that Oftsed would want me to have something there.

I do tell the children not to open or close it but I have a 3 yr old who is obsessed with doors and keys!!:angry: And I have him full time so the door is going to be open a lot when he is around.

I, too, want to be able to close the door to allow older/younger ones quiet time/privacy.

I might put a hook up and some bungee cord - just something so that if they try to close it they will get some resistance and think better of it (hopefully!).

Thanks for the reassurance that Ofsted have never said anything and also for the suggestions.

rickysmiths
26-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Can't you get locks that fit in the track that are normally used to stop the door being opened from the outside and used as a added security on top of the normal door lock.? You shold be able to use one to effectively lock the door open. A good hardware store or lock shop shold be able to advise you.

Daftbat
26-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Hi, just found this on net - don't know if its any good but might stop any fingers getting caught.

http://www.doortech.co.uk/sliding-door-stop.htm

Shirlwith3
26-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Helen
I too have the same problem I am consently saying leave the door open or leave it shut till I am blue in the face. So tahnk you for asking this question that I have often wondered about.
Shirl

TheBTeam
26-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Helen
I too have the same problem I am consently saying leave the door open or leave it shut till I am blue in the face. So tahnk you for asking this question that I have often wondered about.
Shirl

I must be a bit more scary, cos i don't have too much of a problem.:eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
26-05-2009, 10:21 PM
2 thoughts sprung to mind.

1. Use the polystyrene door jammes that go on top of the door

2. Put a piece of dowling (circular wood) in the track and this could be removed easily when not needed

Chatterbox Childcare
26-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Just thought of number 3 - speak to the conservatory installers and ask their advice

singlewiththree
27-05-2009, 07:09 AM
I have a large UPVC back door I have a finger jammer in the side so that they can't trap their fingers if it does shut and I also have a stay (kind of what they used at school to keep the doors open, a long hook). Its screwed to the wall outside and I just hook it open all day. I have fly screens dangling down all the time and so far it hasn't been a problem.

helenlc
27-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Just thought of number 3 - speak to the conservatory installers and ask their advice

DH was my conservatory installer :laughing:

I was thinking of making (well, asking conservatory installer to make!) some wood that could sit in the track to stop the door being able to slide shut.

I shall consult with him tonight - before he has a few beers and has no idea what I am talking about!!:ROFL1:

Its probably just my paranoia about kids fingers and bodies getting hurt by the door. I wouldnt ordinarily be concerned but like I say my 3 yr old mindee has an obsession with doors. I have an 18 month old crawler on some days who is a tiny little thing and I would hate for him (or others) to come to harm cos 3 yr old decided to shut the door when my back was turned for a second.

The Juggler
27-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Sure if you just put those door jams (which sit on the top of the door) then if they close, fingers can't get caught in the space. however, won't stop bodies being jammed. Something that holds them opens securely like someone else mentioned sounds like best plan.

LOL