PDA

View Full Version : Have I done the right thing?

jeanybeany
26-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi

I signed contracts the other week to look after a little one aged 10 months for two days a week, term time only, as I was losing a full time mindee. Well, last week the full time parent asked if their child could come back in September full time. I said yes of course (need the money etc). Today I have rang the other parent to tell them I can no longer have their lo, due to my numbers and explained that I wanted to keep the other child due to continuity of care. She was quite upset about it and I feel awful.

Do you think Ofsted would let me go over my numbers on the two days. I would have

one aged 3 (my own in part time nursery, possibly all day on one of the days)
one aged 17 mths
one aged 27 mths

And then the lo aged 10 mths. They would all go home after the school run. I would also have after school

two aged 5 and one aged 7. They would all be together for 1/2 hour.

Don't know if I want to apply for a variation or even if it's worth it as the other parent is now looking for another childminder. What do you all think? I've applied in the past and have never had it granted, so feel a bit worried about this.

THANKS

Jeanybeany

Daftbat
26-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I think it will depend on how its worded to Ofsted.

You could emphasise the continuity of care thing and tell them that you have already committed to the other child and done settling in etc. They don't like it if a variation is needed just to offer a new place so you would have to make sure they know that the other child was already full time and it was only when his hours were dropped that you took on the new one.

butterfly
26-05-2009, 12:12 PM
i agree with penny. if you say the new one's already started and now the other wants to come back it will be continuity of care. you can but try. if ofsted say no you've lost nothing.

georgie456
26-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I think it will depend on how its worded to Ofsted.

You could emphasise the continuity of care thing and tell them that you have already committed to the other child and done settling in etc. They don't like it if a variation is needed just to offer a new place so you would have to make sure they know that the other child was already full time and it was only when his hours were dropped that you took on the new one.

Definitely agree. I was recently granted a variation for a new child because I had already done 2 settling in sessions - the circumstances of your f ull timer are almost identical to what happened to me. It only took 2 weeks from when I applied to getting the certificate.
It's always worth a try!

Good luck

jeanybeany
27-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your help and advice. I called the parent back to ask if she would like me to apply for a variation and she said yes!

Have done it this morning and sent it by email, so I will be a nervous wreck whenever the phone rings now :laughing: Not sure if they will grant it me, but seems a shame as my lo will also be at nursery am one day and there all day on the other, so it's really only for a few hours when you look at it like that. It will be for the next school year though until my lo starts full time school.

Can but try.

I will be gutted if not as I feel like I'm letting everyone down and the parent works at the school where my children go and will be in my childrens year:eek:

Will keep you posted.....................

Jeanybeany