PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my existing CRB?

Dreean
25-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi

I had a CRB done in Jul 07 for work (in a nursery) would I need to get it redone to childmind? I know they need to be done every three years. So would mine sufice?

Liz

sarah707
25-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry no, Ofsted will want a fresh one.

You don't have to get a CRB every 3 years... that's a myth in England, just for Welsh childminders to worry about!!

Oh and soon there's a completely new govt body taking over CRBs so it'll be all change again :rolleyes:

grindal
26-05-2009, 05:51 AM
Have the rules about CRBs changed recently? When I did my OFSTED application last year, my husbands old CRB was accepted. Mine was not cos it was in my unmarried name. His was over a year old at the time - am wondering about this myself at the moment as I have a teacher friend who has been coming over on a Wed pm for art club and I know she is CRB checked - but does it count?

sarah707
26-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Have the rules about CRBs changed recently? When I did my OFSTED application last year, my husbands old CRB was accepted. Mine was not cos it was in my unmarried name. His was over a year old at the time - am wondering about this myself at the moment as I have a teacher friend who has been coming over on a Wed pm for art club and I know she is CRB checked - but does it count?

99.9% of the time Ofsted won't accept old CRBs as they are a snapshot in time and they have to be seen to be doing the right thing.

My partner had 4 as he was working in schools at the time and they still wanted their own doing when he registered.

Very occasionally they will accept them.

However I find the best thing to do when a member asks is to err on the side of caution which is ... be prepared for the long wait. :D

You do not need to have visitors CRB checked. There is an element of common sense - just Risk assess the visit as you usually would, make sure the visitor signs in and out and do not leave the visitor on her own with the children or allow her to provide intimate care. You'll be fine then.

hth :D

angeldelight
26-05-2009, 04:21 PM
My daughter has 2

One for nursery

One for when she is working with me

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

hollyoaksmad
26-05-2009, 05:14 PM
do ofsted have to keep a copy of ur policies and procedures

sarah707
26-05-2009, 06:57 PM
do ofsted have to keep a copy of ur policies and procedures

No, that only happens in Wales - says she who has been reading up on Welsh law recently :D

Alibali
27-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I have 4 seperate ones, one for childminding, one for help in school, one for church youth group and one for scripture union (incidently I led the group at the same school where I have a check in place:laughing: ) what a waste of money!

Hebs
27-05-2009, 12:37 PM
i have 4 CRB's too

all dated within the last 9 months :laughing:

Dreean
27-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks all I figured I would probably have to but worth asking.

I have found on previous CRB's that the more info (ID) you put on there and the more straightforward your addresses the quicker it was.... not a definate way of ensuring it's quicker but if it might help.....it's worth it!

So what exactly do you need before you can start? I've read people saying they are waiting for certificate's, CRB's, etc, Do you have to make sure all the changes/adaptions to your house are done as well?

Many thanks

Liz

Dreean
27-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Along these lines if I have a paediatric first aid and food hygiene already ( done this year) can I use them instead of redoing them? and will that may the process a bit quicker? (or is that wishful thinking? heheh)

Thanks
Liz

Ellen
28-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi all ofstead used my guiding one and my daughters collage one in june last

year. when they came for pre registion visit all paper work was on table but

she said she only wanted hubbys

Ellen

tinkerbelle
28-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi all ofstead used my guiding one and my daughters collage one in june last

year. when they came for pre registion visit all paper work was on table but

she said she only wanted hubbys

Ellen

my mother in law worked as dinner lady at the school my kids attend and she was offered the head dinner lady role at the same school she still had to have a fresh crb, and another one for governors, and yet another for the after school club, and another for the local youth club so dont know why ofsted accepted your old ones

Dreean
30-05-2009, 07:18 PM
For those of you who have had more than 1 CRB done!

Was it quicker the sencond/thrird time round to get your CRB?
#
Many thanks

Liz
(This forum is fab, everyone is so quick! and helpful, so useful!)

Pudding Girl
30-05-2009, 09:23 PM
My first one done in England was 2 weeks, my second one done in Scotland was 2 weeks also ( and hubby was annoyingly only a week!!)

Zoomie
30-05-2009, 09:24 PM
My first CRB was done in mid 2008.

For Ofsted, my 'process' took exactly 14 days, BUT it took 22 days for the CRB to be received by Ofsted (and me). Somehow it just seem to get delayed in the system, but this is very much the exception to the rule, as most peeps on here got their CRB's within a week of it reaching stage 5 on the CRB website.

The time the CRB takes is also related to how many different addresses / police forces / counties you have lived in within the past 5 years.

HTHs

Spangles
30-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Ofsted accepted my CRB but it had only been done 4 or 5 months beforehand so maybe it depends how recent they are?

Minstrel
31-05-2009, 08:12 AM
No kine wasnt any quicker.

Took 10 weeks and we'd both already had them done fairly recently when OH joined the police force. In fact his whole process was quicker and he had 12 people done for his!

The only advantage my inspector said there was at least you know your details are all on the system correctly and you are tracable. The amount of people she had come across who had their identities stolen and found out this way was incredible.

manjay
31-05-2009, 08:17 AM
I have had to have another one done recently to be a parent helper at pre school. Even though CSSIW register both me as a minder and the group and we even have the same inspector:laughing:

whisper_1981
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
hi i also have a crb check for a nursery since september and have been told to feel out the form for another one all good fun lol didnt like the first form i had to fill out and didnt like this one either lol but got thugh it with ofsted on the phone helping me feel it all out