PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Straws
13-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I have had a enquiry from a woman who wants me to look after her son after school two days a week, The boy is 9 years old and uses a inhalor for his asthma, The parent says he self medicates and uses it when he needs to, and there is no chance that he could overdose on it. Will i need to fill out the permission for medication even though he administers it himself?? As its possible he could use it while in my care without my knowledge

Pipsqueak
13-02-2008, 03:52 PM
At his age he should be quite competent with his inhaler and ideally he needs to keep his inhaler with him (its of no use to him if its elsewhere!).

Yes you will need to fill in all the forms blah blah, perhaps you can come to an understanding with him/parents that if he feel the need to use it, he must tell you so you can record it down.

My ten year old keeps his inhaler with him at school/activities but he just lets someone know that he has had to take it (to monitor the situation)

It might be a good idea of they could leave a spare with you.

sarah707
13-02-2008, 04:04 PM
My ds has just been given an epipen... we are in big talks with high school over them wanting to put it in a locked cupboard! :eek:

Not bright! :rolleyes:

Lots of children have inhalers and keep them in their pockets - he probably won't even tell you he's using it tbh, but best have permission from parents just in case.

Have a big... don't leave it where little ones can get hold of it and that includes in your bag which you dump on the floor when you walk in... chat with him and make a space up high for his bag if necessary. :D

deeb66
14-02-2008, 01:39 PM
My son has self medicated since he was 8 years old.

Good advice already given - ensure that you have a spare in case he not got it or lost it and yes forms do need to be filled in.

miffy
14-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree with what's already been said

You definitely need a spare in case he leaves his at school and permission forms need to be filled in and any when he uses it needs to be documented

Miffy xx