PDA

View Full Version : Planning

Rasharoon
25-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm really really confused.

Basically, I've never done any planning (themes/topics) and I'll explain why.

I have two sisters - 20 months and 3 years who come on a Monday & Tuesday from 8.00am to 1.00pm. Our morning is as follows:

8.00am - arrival then free play to 8.20am when we leave for school to drop off the older children
9.30am - arrive home
9.30am - 10.00am - free play
10.00am - 10.30am - snack
10.30am - 11.20am - free play/arts & crafts/music
11.20am - 12.00am (on a Monday) - lunch (very slow eaters)
12.00pm - 12.30am - walk to pre-school (for the 3 year old)
1.00pm - meet mum and home time (for the 20 month old)

On a Tuesday - all similar to the above but every other week we go to the local childminding group where we leave at 11.20am to get home and have lunch at midday then home time at 1.00pm.

On the weeks we don't have childminding group, everything is free play due to timescales.

I also have a 14 month old girl just on a Thursday morning from 8.30am to 12.30pm so by time we've done school drop offs, had snack and lunch, we just play in the garden or with the toys.

Personally, I feel there isn't time for me to do a 'theme/topic'. I always ask the 3 year old what she would like to do and she is happy playing with the toys.

I've been reading books, websites, downloading planning forms and have just got myself into a complete tizz.

What should I be doing?

Thanks
x

Shar
25-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Your planning for these children should be spontanious child inintiated plans.
Observation- on each child as they play/do an activity
Assessment- of each observation(did they learn/what did they do)
Next steps- this is your planning for that child (how can you help build on what they have just done)

You do not need to get carried away with themes, topics etc....
Follow the childrens interests and be driven by them not the curriculum.

We all do planning differently, this is what I do and Ofsted were very happy with the children being planned for as individuals.

Good luck and dont worry, keep it simple.:thumbsup:

sarah707
25-05-2009, 03:03 PM
The eyfs says it is looking for a balance of adult led and child initiated activities...

So this is part of the day spent with you suggesting the children might like to do something to follow their interests or find out about child friendly things such as minibeasts, people who help us etc...

AND a balance of the children deciding to get things out and play their own games.

I usually link things to interests or something that is happening in the neighbourhood or elsewhere. For example, W aged 4 is going to the farm with Playgroup so I know he will be interested in farm animals etc. I will help him set up the animals and suggest things he could add and go with his flow as he makes changes etc.

For my writing, I do about half planned in advance and half that is filled in on the day by following the children's interests.

Hth :D

sonia ann
25-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Your planning for these children should be spontanious child inintiated plans.
Observation- on each child as they play/do an activity
Assessment- of each observation(did they learn/what did they do)
Next steps- this is your planning for that child (how can you help build on what they have just done)

You do not need to get carried away with themes, topics etc....
Follow the childrens interests and be driven by them not the curriculum.

We all do planning differently, this is what I do and Ofsted were very happy with the children being planned for as individuals.Good luck and dont worry, keep it simple.:thumbsup:

This is how i work too, ....with a very broad connection with seasonal activities/ celebrations/festivals and a few other topics, which I use for ideas for adult initiated activities. I keep it very simple with no formal planning sheets except notes on future plans for each child based on my observations and assessments. I achieved an outstanding in this area of my inspection in January so I guess I am doing enough planning.

nannymcflea
03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I firstly take notes on what my kids like, this could come from simple obs, parents etc. I'll then plan for each kids as "next steps" in each of the 6 areas. This then leads to my monthly planning, which is quite basic but when you see it with the next steps it makes sense!:laughing:

So M went to see a show with butterflies at the weekend, she really enjoyed it....craft, playdoh etc caterpillars,cocoons, butterflies..she also loves counting, going to put that in with the craft too.

L, mums having a baby, role play, babies, books about babies, lots of gentle things!(M also loves role play and needs encouragement with sharing so this will benefit her too)

LU,activities with counting,shapes,numbers,needs support with confidence in social situations, role play helps his speach,he loves craft and chats more freely at the table!

Planning doesn't need to encompass every minute but I find planning helps to lead to other avtivities that I hadn't though about. Keep it simple, go with your kids, there is no right or wrong way. Whatever works for you and your setting.