PDA

View Full Version : Not sure weather to become a childminder?

Dreean
24-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi

I have enroled on a course to find out more but am unsure if this is for me.

Can anyone tell me how it went when they started. I am worried mainly about the money as if I leave my current job I will have no income.

How quickly did you get 'customers'?

How did you make ends meet?:(

How reliable is the work? Do you have a steady interest from potential customers?

many thanks for your time!

Liz

ORKSIE
25-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I started childminding 15 years ago, of course if you have no mindees, no money.
There are lots of ladies and gents on here going thru the process at the moment.
I really love my job, I have fantastic mindees, which helps:)
Good luck with whatever you decide:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
25-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Its always a bit of a gamble when starting up any new business and unfortunately childminding is no different.

Have you done a bit of research in your area to see what the demand is? Speak to other childminders but just beware that many will view you as competition and try to put you off.

Go along to the pre-reg briefing and the CDO';s should be able to answer your questions - don't be afraid to ask them - for example what is the current demand in my area (depending on where you live - for example a big town ask them about your specific area). For example - my area of town where I live there is not much demand and the CDO's are being honest to newly reg'ing minders for this area - don't give up your day job.

The whole process of registering can take a while 6months give or take - so you could always do all the training bit while keeping your exisiting job.

PixiePetal
25-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I have been minding nearly 15 years too. Started very part time as that was my choice when my kids were young.

Mindees can be feast or famine, you have to be prepared for quiet times although for me I have never been busier than I am now. Depends on where you live and the demand there, what other childcare is available locally and 101 other things!

Can you research your local area and see if there are many childminders about? Do you have local schools where you may get after school work from?

I love my job too. Mindees are all great (but there have been other more challenging ones - and parents!)

Good luck with whatever you decide and stick with the forum for lots of info :)

singlewiththree
25-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I was registered in Dec and I got my first child in Feb. However I had an enquiry to start this Oct and decided to keep that space open with just a deposit as my DD space is available in Sept so I am only waiting a month really.

I have 4 part time/adhoc on my books at the moment and am skint. I'm applying for a job as a playworker in a holiday club over the summer as all my mindees are term time only, again my choice as the Oct one will be full time but term time so wanted to spend some time with just my children.

My situation is brought on by me, if I hadn't had taken term time or part time people then I could have fitted in the full timer who came along after but hind sight is a wonderful thing. It is like any other business when you start up its going to be difficult. You may get flooded with enquiries but you may not get many. Like any business start up and I suggest you look into the market in your area before you start. Check out the local childminders, see how many and if they have vacancies.

Daddy Day Care
25-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Cant you do your training along side your current job? i know it means extra work but at least you will have a steady income untill your ready to take on a child

Gareth
xx

TheBTeam
25-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Cant you do your training along side your current job? i know it means extra work but at least you will have a steady income untill your ready to take on a child

Gareth
xx

I agree, you would be wise to stick with your current job until you are registered and have seen the interest.

Zoomie
25-05-2009, 10:09 AM
In a way, I have the best of both worlds.

I work part time in the evening, and have my days free to persue childminding (or pamper to my DD's ever need). It was never my intension to do both long term, but initially I was going to drop one evening hour work for two childminding hours.

However, my first potential family (and I say potential as I am still pre-reg and no contracts have been signed) is for 34 hours, so if I do eventually sign them up I will pack in my evening job totally. I am also lucky in that I can probably get the notice period waivered too.

Word of mouth is most certainly the best method of getting mindees, but of course this depends on how your competition is, and how they view you. My local childminders are brilliant help, but there are others who aren't as 'welcoming'.

I also let it be known when I started this process that I was going to be a childminder, and had one potential enquiry from that.

I have recently done my accounts and was shocked to see that it has cost me a small fortune to set up (over a £1000), and I still don't have lots of toys or 'resources'.

Definitely see how the demand is for your area, as my area has lots of cm, but 1/2 mile away, which falls in a different ward, there are no where near enough, and the grant new cm get there is double what i get in my area.

Hope your course answers some of your other questions, but do come back and ask, if you are still unsure.

flora
25-05-2009, 10:39 AM
As Pip says check demand very carefully.

Where I live people seem to have very good family and support networks and I have only had 5 enquiries for full time'ish care in 7 years:eek:

I do after school only as I have to fit in around the farm.

Couldn't survive financially on just my cm money.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

angeldelight
25-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Good advice from everyone Liz

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Angel xx

Dreean
25-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you all for your help and advice, so quick as well. I was expecting to have to wait a while before anyone replied!;)

The course is not till the 23rd June and I was keen to try n get things straight in my head.

I currently work in a nursery and have an NVQ3 (almost have an NVQ4) I have also done my first aid and food hygiene recently. I have my own daughter now and want to be at home for her more. I am part time but it is so demanding and staffing is hard.

I will definatley check out my area and ask around to see the demand. How have others done this? Did you ask other childminders? Friends? Door to door? Questionnaire? Visit local school? CIS? Do the people running the courses know these kinda answers? Which were more sucessful/helpful?

Sorry to bombard, really interested but so very scared to step out, it's a big leap of faith in the money department!:littleangel:

Many thanks
Liz:jump for joy:

Leannetrim
25-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi I am doing my course and working my normal at the same time. It means most of my eveings are taken but i will carry on with my regular job when i first begin until it gets up and running and i have a couple of children on my books

Cazz
25-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi, I'm going through the process of registering and it has taken a while for me as I've had to put everything on hold a couple of times for personal reasons.

I did my ICP course while I was still on maternity leave and decided to "go for it" and handed my notice in at work. If I'm honest I've had a few "wobbles" when I've doubted my ability to be a successful childminder but I think that happens whatever business you are starting.

As I say, I've been going through the process for quite a while (did my ICP last summer - the time has flown by!) so I became an Avon Rep a couple of months ago to earn a little bit of money until I get some childminding business.

One thing I can say for sure is that you'll learn far more from this forum than the ICP course, although that is compulsory so you will have to attend. There's always someone really knowledgeable to answer a question on here!

Good luck with whatever you decide - as my husband says if you don't try you'll never know!

Carole x

RedDragon
26-05-2009, 07:16 AM
I have been minding nearly 15 years too. Started very part time as that was my choice when my kids were young.

Mindees can be feast or famine, you have to be prepared for quiet times although for me I have never been busier than I am now. Depends on where you live and the demand there, what other childcare is available locally and 101 other things!

Can you research your local area and see if there are many childminders about? Do you have local schools where you may get after school work from?

I love my job too. Mindees are all great (but there have been other more challenging ones - and parents!)

Good luck with whatever you decide and stick with the forum for lots of info :)Took the words right out of my mouth. Feast or famine - going to remember that one and put it the quotes section of my brain.:D