PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Baskets

MissTinkerbell
24-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I haven't got the time to put one together myself, as I'm also trying to resource for heuristic play and have been looking at ready made ones online (as I didn't have to pay any tax this year I'm thinking of treating myself) and have come across 2 which seem good.

Has anyone bought treasure baskets from ContentedChild or Heritage Treasure Baskets? What do you get and are they worth it?

Thanks

sarah707
24-05-2009, 06:07 PM
It's amazing what you can find round the house... a bit of ribbon, some lace, a face flannel, a big cork, a musical instrument, wooden peg, measuring cups, small non fluffy animal... anything that can be waved, chewed, banged, put into a tower...

I wrote a mini e-book on treasure baskets a while ago and there are sooo many contents that you will find if you look :D

madasahatter
25-05-2009, 08:56 AM
I haven't got the time to put one together myself

hate to say this but it is possible to put a treasure basket together in far less time than it takes to look for a supplier of a readymade one and a huge amount cheaper. I went on a treasure basket course and was given a readymade one which cost around £30. If I'd bought everything myself, including the basket I would have spent no more than £15 and probably a lot less.
Many of the things in a treasure basket are things that are in your house anyway or can be picked up in a supermarket/market stall very cheaply on your normal shop....wooden spoon, metal dish, balloon whisk, metal spoon (think different reflection on each side, one being upside down), loofah, silk scarf, large pine cone (and all the things sarah listed).... the list is endless. Some things you wouldn't normally give a baby to play with but treasure baskets are not intended for unsupervised play. You may not be directly involved with the child's investigations but you should be observing them.

sonia ann
25-05-2009, 09:53 AM
hate to say this but it is possible to put a treasure basket together in far less time than it takes to look for a supplier of a readymade one and a huge amount cheaper. I went on a treasure basket course and was given a readymade one which cost around £30. If I'd bought everything myself, including the basket I would have spent no more than £15 and probably a lot less.
Many of the things in a treasure basket are things that are in your house anyway or can be picked up in a supermarket/market stall very cheaply on your normal shop....wooden spoon, metal dish, balloon whisk, metal spoon (think different reflection on each side, one being upside down), loofah, silk scarf, large pine cone (and all the things sarah listed).... the list is endless. Some things you wouldn't normally give a baby to play with but treasure baskets are not intended for unsupervised play. You may not be directly involved with the child's investigations but you should be observing them.

I quite agree with this.I made my basket one afternoon at home, once you start looking it is so easy to find things around the house. by all means look at sites on the internet to see what is in their baskets.....but it is so easy to make your own and much cheaper:)

georgie456
25-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I agree with what the others have all said! It's surprising what you can find after a quick look around the house. I filled a basket easily and also try hobbycraft - I got some lovely peacock feathers in there for a couple of pounds....

pinklady
25-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with what the others have all said! It's surprising what you can find after a quick look around the house. I filled a basket easily and also try hobbycraft - I got some lovely peacock feathers in there for a couple of pounds....

I agree too. I've got a very expensive treasure basket that I got on my sensory play course (at a very reduced rate) and you could get most of the contents very cheaply.

I've got a stainless steel bowl in mine and you could easily use a balti dish and I've seen those in my 99p shop. Wooden spoons, spaghetti measure, scarf, bath scrunchie, tea spoon, loofah, wooden curtain rings, egg cup, those metal rings chefs use to make little stacks of food :blush: are all easy to get hold of. Just think texture, something that can be bashed, putting object inside other objects and using all of the senses.

Blackhorse
25-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I will make one as well. I am sure I will find loads of things to put in the basket..
just need to find a basket.

had a look at these. seem nice and cheap

I guess they would work??

http://www.cheapwickerbaskets.co.uk/items/wicker-baskets/wicker-baskets/polyrattan-rectangular-detail.htm