PDA

View Full Version : How do i simplify all my paperwork etc???

kimbo
13-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Me again!!!!!
I have ideas ideas ideas....not sure where to begin.
I am trying to keep things simple as much as possible.
I will have all my policies and general information for myself and parents in one folder.
Each child will have their own folders with their details in.
Accident/medicine book
Emergency contact info on me at all times and one in a secure place by the door with mobile etc..
Accounts book
Signing in book for parents
Visitors book
Daily record book(i was just going to have date,children present,the days activities in brief and get the parents to sign per week)
Then a general photo album with pics/post its showing different children doing different activities.
Wow....i am tired just writing that lot!
Have i got everything???

sarah707
13-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Dont' forget your risk assessments folder! :D

bubbly
13-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Dont' forget your risk assessments folder! :D
Trust you to remind us Sarah. I'd only just managed to forget lol :laughing: :D

Cheeky Chops
13-02-2008, 07:06 PM
anyone know of anywhere that has some risk assessments that I can have a look at, I am just wondering whether I should update my template, so if anyone knows of any websites let me know!! x

Straws
13-02-2008, 10:01 PM
anyone know of anywhere that has some risk assessments that I can have a look at, I am just wondering whether I should update my template, so if anyone knows of any websites let me know!! x

I'm sure i got a template of the HSE website if you cant find one on there i can email it you:)
straws x

sarah707
13-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I think there are some on Bromley... and on Silkysteps if you are a member.

Also lots of sample forms and risk assessments for every room of the house in my risk assessments e-book :D

deeb66
14-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't forget your Complimtents & Complaints Folder which should be kept where easily accessable to parents.

Pipsqueak
14-02-2008, 03:06 PM
How to simplify your paper work???? Burn it all!!!:D :D :D

Fraid there is no other answer (and now I am not being helpful in the slightest - sorry):D

ruby
14-02-2008, 03:17 PM
i like your idea vik:laughing:
i sometimes feel like that but we would only have to do it all again

cathy and rachel

Pipsqueak
14-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Ahh but then we could teach about fire and safety....:idea: once we have done the risk assessment for the bonfire we can chuck that on too!!

Cheeky Chops
14-02-2008, 05:16 PM
yeah lets do a communal burning of aallll paperwork!! hehe ta da!! x x

netty
14-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Great minds thing a like Vik read the first post and thought burn them.
Netty xxx:laughing:

lizzymoonshine
16-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I love it Vik, i'm feeling that about mine at the moment!

I like we should plan a date for communal burning!!!! :) :laughing: :laughing:

deeb66
16-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I love it Vik, i'm feeling that about mine at the moment!

I like we should plan a date for communal burning!!!! :) :laughing: :laughing:

I have got a pile and matches ready :eek:

Let me know when we are doing it :D

miffy
16-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm ready - I've loads of old course material to get rid of

Miffy xx

nannan
16-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm ready with the fire blanket that can go on top of the bonfire.

Twinkles
16-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Ok I'll do a risk assessment for the bonfire....oh but that would start a new pile of paperwork!!!

sarah707
16-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Ok I'll do a risk assessment for the bonfire....oh but that would start a new pile of paperwork!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

deeb66
16-02-2008, 06:49 PM

That's ok we can throw it on the top after finished writing it all out :D

Pauline
16-02-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm sure there is one I did in the downloads if you want to have a look mi duck:)

Pauline
16-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Me again!!!!!
I have ideas ideas ideas....not sure where to begin.
I am trying to keep things simple as much as possible.
I will have all my policies and general information for myself and parents in one folder.
Each child will have their own folders with their details in.
Accident/medicine book
Emergency contact info on me at all times and one in a secure place by the door with mobile etc..
Accounts book
Signing in book for parents
Visitors book
Daily record book(i was just going to have date,children present,the days activities in brief and get the parents to sign per week)
Then a general photo album with pics/post its showing different children doing different activities.
Wow....i am tired just writing that lot!
Have i got everything???

I don't have a visitor book or a parents signing in book! Perhaps that would be one way to simplify things! :)

If you are going to get parents to sign your daily record book and have "children present" listed in it, you need to consider confidentiality - although parents know that the other children are there it's another thing getting them to sign something that lists them, if you get what I mean. :)

Photo album - make sure you have all your permissions for photos up to date before adding children's photos. :)

kimbo
18-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I am afraid that i may have to accept defeat ladies...as the more i have found out about the real deal with childminding the more i feel i really dont want to do it!
I mean i have 3 kids and babino on the way,i love working within education as a TA but figured that with a big family,that being my own boss and to still be working with kids that childminding would be perfect.
I wanted to offer a real home from home learning enviroment...but all the paperwork,policies blah di blah blah................has i am afraid taken the shine off it all.
I feel soooooooooooooo disappointed as i had such high hopes!
How the hell do you get to actually enjoy it when you have so much paperwork,records to fill out etc...and still have a life of your own?
If i had wanted to be working with paperwork up to my ears i would of been a lawyer!

Pipsqueak
18-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I am afraid that i may have to accept defeat ladies...as the more i have found out about the real deal with childminding the more i feel i really dont want to do it!
I mean i have 3 kids and babino on the way,i love working within education as a TA but figured that with a big family,that being my own boss and to still be working with kids that childminding would be perfect.
I wanted to offer a real home from home learning enviroment...but all the paperwork,policies blah di blah blah................has i am afraid taken the shine off it all.
I feel soooooooooooooo disappointed as i had such high hopes!
How the hell do you get to actually enjoy it when you have so much paperwork,records to fill out etc...and still have a life of your own?
If i had wanted to be working with paperwork up to my ears i would of been a lawyer!

Hi Kimbo

Perhaps we have all sounded a little negative about paperwork and the admin side of things and none of us will lie - there is rather a lot of us humble little home settings but as each and everyone of us prove it can be done and with a little help, support, guidance and this forum you can come through the otherside and once the paperwork is done its just a matter of tweaking it every so often.

Ok there is other paperwork of course (obs, risk assessments etc) but once you are organised (someone want to help me out here??? lol) and confident with what you are doing it becomes easier.

Minding is not for everyone granted but for many mums who want to stay at home with their own offspring then its often an ideal solution.

Coming on here and letting of steam and much of what we say is tongue in cheek stuff (although I guess to a newbie it may be sometimes hard to decipher!).

Have you got a support minder?

sarah707
18-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I like the paperwork!... but yes i can see how it would be quite scary for someone new... :D

deeb66
18-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I am a pen pusher myself so used to paperwork but yes I do find it hard at times.

I was only saying to someone today that as hard as it can be it can be a very rewarding job as well.

When a child wraps their arms around you and tells you she (or he) loves you it all becomes worthwhile!

Twinkles
18-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I like the paperwork!... but yes i can see how it would be quite scary for someone new... :D

Weirdo!! :D

sarah707
18-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Speak for yourself - I have it on good authority you spent the day looking for clouds! :laughing:

Pipsqueak
18-02-2008, 08:55 PM

:ROFL1: That cracked me up - the dog thinks I am insane now.

Ok - confession time - I like the paperwork too (just not accounts), my background is office.

Pipsqueak
18-02-2008, 08:56 PM
When a child wraps their arms around you and tells you she (or he) loves you it all becomes worthwhile!

Bravo - you can say that again

Another reward is being there for your kids, being able to attend all those things you might miss otherwise. Being there at hometime....

deeb66
18-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Bravo - you can say that again

Another reward is being there for your kids, being able to attend all those things you might miss otherwise. Being there at hometime....

Yep Vik

I definately have to agree with that too!

manjay
18-02-2008, 08:59 PM

Wow, everyone is on form tonight!!

amanda xx

kimbo
19-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the support ladies.
I am still going to do the 1st aid course in a couple of weeks time.
Do an online food handling course,is there an online child protection one?

I have a great support system,and my own childrens childminder has been wonderful giving me samples,telling me what i need to do etc..and of course this forum is great!

The thing is i dont know why i am getting so worked up,as i am a very organised person and quite enjoy paperwork but i dont want my job to take over my home life.

Initially i was going to only work 3 days and then as the baby gets older and i grow in confidence that i will increase my hours!

I shall try to remain positive.....

sarah707
19-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the support ladies.
I am still going to do the 1st aid course in a couple of weeks time.
Do an online food handling course,is there an online child protection one?

I have a great support system,and my own childrens childminder has been wonderful giving me samples,telling me what i need to do etc..and of course this forum is great!

The thing is i dont know why i am getting so worked up,as i am a very organised person and quite enjoy paperwork but i dont want my job to take over my home life.

Initially i was going to only work 3 days and then as the baby gets older and i grow in confidence that i will increase my hours!

I shall try to remain positive.....

I did a home study child protection - sent it off to be marked and got a certificate back a few days later... there are a few out there, so long as they are nspcc backed, they are good.

Once the paperwork is in place, it's just a simple job of keeping on top of it... don't let it put you off! :D

Pauline
19-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I hope you do continue with your idea kimbo because Childminding is a wonderful job.

There will be tough times but I think that the good days far outweight the bad and although there is a lot of paperwork once you have it all done it really doesn't have to be touched again apart from the odd update.

The benefits of being home with your own children are great and they learn such a lot too - just ask my kids, they say they are better parents from having been around little ones nearly all their lives! They know how to deal with them, what to expect etc. so you are not just providing a service to other parents but to your own family too. :)

And of course, we will all be here to help you through it :)

Spangles
20-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Don't let it put you off if the job is perfect for you otherwise.

The policies and procedures is a big job but once they're done you only need to tweek them every now and again.

I'm sure that the observations and things will be quite easy once you have your own system in place. I do a daily diary for parents to take home about their child and this is just a typed form which I fill in briefly as the time goes on when there's a quiet moment - no great essays just little notes.

I'm hoping that it won't be that bad after I've got systems in place etc so please don't let it put you off. Although initially it's a royal pain, I'm sure it will lessen as time goes on - well, that's what I'm hoping anyway! Ha ha!