PDA

View Full Version : minimum hrs question

tomy12
13-02-2008, 02:23 PM
hi all

ypu probably rember the problems i had with a parent comming before contracted hrs.
I currently charge a minimum of 8hrs per a week whether they choose to use those hrs or not as its not worth me minding for less than that.
any way.
i changed contrated hrs to accomodate the early arrival now they are comming earlier than that now.
but because its in the 8hrs i currently don't charge any extra.
but should i as i didn't even get chance to had dinner as they came so early again toady.
and i am getting a bit fed up with this to be honset.
And i also had the sister aswell and i didn't even no she was ment to be comming,just aswell i didn't have anyone else.
so last week i had up to my numbers & had 6 he after school and i was so glade when they all went home at 5pm.
any advice welcome
claire

Spangles
13-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I would speak to them again and ask them if they now need to increase the hours further and if they don't ask them to stop bringing the child until the correct start time then! How ignorant is that!

Plus, to bring a child that you weren't even aware that you were having is just rude and inconsiderate. They are taking you for granted and showing no respect. I think you need to be firm with them. It think it's disgusting the way they are treating you.

Blinking cheek of some people!

Pipsqueak
13-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I would tell them that you cannot take the child outside of contracted hours.

I would explain that you charge for a minimum of 8 hours per week but they MUST be used within the contracted hours only. I would tell them under the terms of your insurance you must have prior written notice (ie contract or letter signed by them and agreed with you) if you are having the child over and above the hours stipulated on the exisiting contract.

Explain to them anything outside the contracted (or previously agreed extra hours) will be charged at extra xxx £'s if they persist in bringing their child when they are not supposed to.

How rude is that, some parents!

angeldelight
13-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I also have a min of 8hrs and would not stand for someone bringing them out of the contracted hours - its nothing to do with them having to pay the 8hrs

They are being really rude and I would tell them that they can not do this

Hope you sort it

Angel xx

deeb66
14-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I have to say I agree......I would not allow them to do it!

miffy
14-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I agree you really need to speak to this parent and be firm

What was said when she just turned up with an extra child? You might have had a situation that put you over your numbers - mum was not to know it was OK as she never asked you

If you think they will abuse the times you contract for then put a high rate on for uncontracted hours - £1.00 a minute before contracted hours might make them think.

The only other thing to do is not answer the door or answer it and say you are early and I haven't finished my lunch please wait in the car until....(whatever time you were due to start)

Good luck
Miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
15-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I have recently changed my policys to say I require minmum 8 hrs a week and if they need say, 3 till 6 2 days a week they still pay me for 8 hrs and are contracted to 3 till 6 regardless anything before or after those hours I class as overtime. I cant believe they turned up with an extra child for you to care for I would have said im sorry but I do not have a contract for other child and therefore cannot mind them...... what has happened since ???

xxx

sarah707
15-02-2008, 04:49 PM
They are being really rude and I would tell them that they can not do this. Hope you sort it. Angel xx

That was the first thought that sprang into my mind as well... how rude!:(

jo hawkins
15-02-2008, 05:15 PM
i agree i charge for a minimum of 12 hrs a week.
i wouldnt take the child any earlier if they turn up early i would make them wait or charge my overtime rate for the time they early

tomy12
16-02-2008, 11:35 AM
hi all update.
i only had them weds this week & they were ment to drop in thier money owed for next week.
as we agreed on contract money to be paid a week in advance on a friday.
but as yet no money turned up as they said they would drop it in on friday as the mum does not work.
this is the second its been late.
i shall put on invoice that any late fee's will incur a charge of £10 which is stated in my ploicy's.
parents really do your head in.

claire

deeb66
16-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I cannot get over how inconsiderate these parents are sometimes.

If they hadn't been paid they would be in absolute uproar with their employers and threatening all sorts of action.

Why on earth do they think that we deserve to be treated like this. I know that parents sometimes have to juggle finances but why are we always the last ones on their list to pay......why do they think that it is acceptable to mess us around.....I am sorry but it really annoys me :angry:

I would definately start charging a late payment fee and hopefully this will make them think twice about being late again

tomy12
18-02-2008, 01:29 PM
hi all

thanks for the replys.
well they dropped the boy off today with my chq that was due last friday.
with a note saying sorry its late.
i have now added to thier new invoice to remind them that a late payment charge will be incured if payment is late.
And have added this to all invoices incase she askes her friend if i have put this on hers aswell.
so then they can't say i am singling them out.
i had a new one start today ment to be 7-9am then 3-5pm but when he was dropped of the mum said oh can you give him tea now & have him till 5.30.
it just shows i just don't have a life.

claire

miffy
18-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Oh smile sweetly charge her an hours overtime and add the cost of tea to the bill!

At least you got the money from the other parent - if it is late again I'd tell them I want cash - don't see why you should have to wait for a cheque to clear.

Miffy xx

Tatia
21-02-2008, 09:26 AM
We were just discussing this last night at a support meeting. Someone mentioned an assertiveness course for childminders, to be offered really early on in their careers. She said she had been on one 3 years ago and it helped her no end. I get annoyed when my people show up 10 MINUTES early, let alone a few hours!

You are a professional and deserve to be treated with respect. The only way you're gonna get it is by taking a stand. And believe me, I am not a confrontational person so I understand all about that horrible senation in your tummy when you know you have to confront someone! Take a deep breath and just do it. You'll feel better for it. And if they still show up early, sart hanging a sign on your door saying "Gone fishing. Be back in 1 hour" or some such.:D Leave em waiting on your doorstep a few times and they'll get the message.

Good luck! I'm fortunate to have really great families at the moment but I've dealt with some doozies in the past so I feel your pain!

tomy12
21-02-2008, 02:07 PM
hi all.
thank you all for your replys.
I have not been very well.
I am still recovering from flu.
I came down with it on sunday,but not too bad so worked Monday,then tuesday i worked untill lunch.
As i could not stick no more went doctor who siad it was flu & gave me strong antibiatiocs.
so i did not work yesterday but i am working today 7am-5.30 as i can't afford not to as i lose £30 for every day i don't work as i don't get paid if i am off sick.

claire

Banana
21-02-2008, 02:40 PM
oh dear!

hope you are feeling better soon. having to work when you are ill is the worst!

xxx

mumtodaniel
21-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi, I a bit confused about min 8 hours a week, how does that apply to after school. Does that mean most of you do not take just one day after school a week, i.e. 3 hours 3 to six. Hadn't given this too much thought, as it would work out expensive charging 8 hours even if for two nights, comparing the cost against after school clubs. My rate is 4.50 an hour which is the rate for around this area.

Or is the 8 hours for children that come during the day that you would put as a minimum.

Thanks

Maureen