PDA

View Full Version : school induction day with mindee

Helen79
23-05-2009, 08:05 AM
dd has her school induction (1 of 2 as we're not sure which school she's going to yet) It'll involve meeting her class teacher, looking around the school & her playing in the reception class.

It's 1-3pm on a Thurs after half term, mindee whose 2.5yrs comes to me 1.30-4.30pm so do I take him with me or cancel mindee?

dh is coming with me so he can look after dd & ds while I look after mindee but not sure if it's fair on him.

Parents normally wouldn't mind me canceling the afternoon but I had last week off cos ds was sick then this week off cos I was sick so don't want to be having more time off.

Also dd has her parents evening at ballet in a few weeks time, I really don't want to miss it but do I take a 7year old mindee with me to watch her doing ballet?

Pipsqueak
23-05-2009, 08:27 AM
TBH, I would probably take mindee with me but on the other hand would think this is a special moment in time that you need to devote to your own childs transition.
Sorry thats no help to you is it!!!

The Juggler
23-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I know it's painful as a mum but what about you stay with mindees and dh does the induction then he can concentrate fully on what is going on?

I hate this part of the job. I always thought it would be easier to attend such school things but the number of concerts etc I have had to miss because buggies are not allowed in school hall.

Helen79
23-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I really need to go as we're undecided which school to send dd to, so going to the induction to help us choose.

dh wouldn't have a clue what to be looking for, wouldn't ask the right questions, & probably not pay much attention.

rickysmiths
23-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I think I would want to go on my own, definately not take a mindee. This is one of the reasons I started cm so I could do these things with my children. As you have two to go to perhaps you could do one and dh the other?

All through their primary school I would be a helper on one trip each a year and take all their inset days as holiday so I could have a special day with my dd and ds.

Now they are in High school I make sure I have at least two inset days child free so we can do something together. I always book Speach Day off as well cause so far in the 5yrs dd and now ds have been at school we have always had an invite cause one or other has got a prize :blush: .

This is one of the reasons I have enjoyed childminding, so I can spend time with my two. It did mean my income was less in the early days though.

ORKSIE
23-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I personally would go on my own without mundees.
There may questions you want to ask and you may not be able to give your full attention to the matter in mind because you have mindees IYSWIM:)
Plus the fact this is a special transition in your DD life, I personally would not let Mindees get in the way of that:)
That is my opinion anyway:D

ORKSIE
23-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Mundees:panic: I meant Mindees:laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
23-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Mundees:panic: I meant Mindees:laughing: :laughing:

was going to ask what a mundee was? was thinking it was perhaps a scary mindee or just a Monday Mindee:laughing: :D

ORKSIE
23-05-2009, 10:55 AM
was going to ask what a mundee was? was thinking it was perhaps a scary mindee or just a Monday Mindee:laughing: :D

:laughing: :laughing:

her8y
23-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I personally would not take a mindee to this. Are you able to offer another day you could mind lo instead?

georgie456
23-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Are no other local minders that you work closely with who could cover you? My dd has her school induction soon and another minder is covering me for the 2 hours...

singlewiththree
23-05-2009, 12:00 PM
I have a similar problem this year but have decided to take Mindee. We also have the opportunity to stay for lunch but I'm playing by ear and seeing how mindee and DD's are.

louise
23-05-2009, 04:08 PM
What is your gut saying? I had the same thing last year but it was 2 1 hour sessions. Mindee was the same age as yours. I took mindee with me he just ran around playing with the others as it was layed out for them to play and parents ask questions. I was able to ask any questions i wanted as mindee was very good. Also when Ds went full time after xmas we were invited to come for lunch. Again Mindee came but he was 3 then He loved joining Tyler for lunch at school. At the end of the day you know what mindee is like and what you want to do. Can't believe it was a year ago i was doing all this the year has gone so quick.

The Juggler
23-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I really need to go as we're undecided which school to send dd to, so going to the induction to help us choose.

dh wouldn't have a clue what to be looking for, wouldn't ask the right questions, & probably not pay much attention.

I know exactly what you mean!!!

mushpea
23-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I think you need to judge your decsion on how you think your mindee will behave, if they are very good, easy going and happy to just play with what ever you can take then take them, you can always take a small snack to keep them going, on the other hand if they are hardwork to enterain then may be best to cancel.
I take the mindees on school things with me, the parents know i do this and i had a discusion the other day about taking them with me to my sons special needs assesment apptm they said they where happy for them to go but would keep them at home so i could focus on my son.
the whole reason we do this job is so we can still carry on with our normal family things and our kids dont miss out on us being there for them.