PDA

View Full Version : Your Holidays

mum2two
13-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Just wondered if any of you have taken a long holiday (more than 2 weeks) whilst childminding?

It's just we are planning on going to Florida for 3 weeks over xmas. Not a problem with kids I currently have, as none of them need xmas hols cover, so only really taking a week off (the week before).

But now, as I'm waiting for my mum to get her flight deposit together (been waiting 4 weeks!!), the flights are slowing selling out. The day we wanted to go, 13th Dec has sold out, so we we're going on the 12th. (an extra day for the parents to find cover).

Then the flights back on 3rd sold out, so coming back on the 4th. (means Mon 5th another day for parents to get cover as arrive back day after you leave...)

Now the flights for 4th are sold out, so as long as we book it today coming back on the 5th, arrive back on the 6th Jan.

It's 24 nights. 2 weeks xmas hols, 6 school days before xmas & 2 school days after.

If I get a prospective parent starting Sept/Oct time, are they going to be put off by me having such a long hol. Especially if it's a first child, and they don't work round school hols...? I have spoke to other cm's, and there are a couple who would be able & willing to do cover for me.

Kelly x

Mollymop
13-02-2008, 09:31 AM
You'll love Florida, I have been twice and we are going back next year

I go for 2 weeks at a time

I don't think I could stay out there for 3 unless I was travelling around Fl.

Hope you have a good time X

sarah707
13-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I've never gone away for more than a week at a time - we tend to do a week in April/May and another in August... has to be in school holidays which is a pity with the cost doubling, but no choice!

I think Florida sounds wonderful! Just make sure if you recommend another minder for the children that you are really careful who it is and they don't steal your charges when you come back... it happens! :eek:

custardcream
13-02-2008, 10:08 AM
We went to florida for 3 weeks, parents never had a problem with it as I gave them a lot of notice and help finding cover for some.

You will love florida, I really would love to go back. I am jealous.

berkschick
13-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Only 7 weeks on Friday till we go to Florida :clapping:

We only go for 2 weeks at a time too, Im worn out then and ready to come home for a rest!

I think the parents will be fine as long as they have plenty of warning and with it being over xmas, most parents take some time off then anyway so its not really any differant to you having 2 weeks off I dont think. I would compose a list of other suitable minders that are happy to cover for you and arrange playdates so that the children would get to know the minder before hand.

deeb66
13-02-2008, 10:21 AM
It has been my experience that a majority of parents tend to take a fair amount of time off over Christmas anyway.....I did say a majority but there are some who only have Christmas Day and Boxing Day off.

I went away last Christmas and had 3 weeks off and the parents were really happy as it meant that they didn't have to pay me (not paid for my holidays).......so it worked out all round!

I think as long as you give parents plenty of notice so that they can arrange alternative childcare if they need to they will be ok with that.

Banana
13-02-2008, 11:07 AM
You cant really think about anyone starting in sept/oct when you are going on a 3 week holiday. If they see you and like you they will come regardless of the holiday situation. They would have to find temporary cover for a couple of weeks.

Dont worry about it and just think about what an amazing time you will have instead!

xxx

angeldelight
13-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I agree

I would book with it and go with the flow if you get anyone new they will just have to fit in with you

Angel xx

devoncm
13-02-2008, 03:29 PM
im going to florida in 2 weeks this saturday and the parents i mind for have been fine with that and i have let prospective parents know when they ring me and they are still coming next week for there visit.

susi513
13-02-2008, 05:39 PM
DD used to go to a childminder who always had 3 weeks off each Easter. And would be open the rest of the year (except xmas). Wasn't a problem - some parents booked their family holiday at the same time. DH & I used to book 2 weeks off each to have a week each and a week together with DD.

I'm having nearly 3 weeks off in Summer, will be telling parents next week. We're going to Lanzarote (never taken kids abroad before, in fact we've never had a proper family holiday together). I'm taking an extra day off beforehand so I don't have to pack madly the morning of the flight and we're arriving back at midnight so don't plan to work that day either ! And the next day I only have one mindee who is flexible about switching days so thought I might as well have that day off to catch up with the washing.

When I book my holidays, I do check with local cm's - if anyone has spaces I give their tel nos to the parents.

wendywu
13-02-2008, 05:51 PM
You work to live not live to work. You will love Florida and if you want to go for 3 weeks go. If you can arrange cover then i dont think parents could complain.;)

Sarsar3NCH
13-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I agree with wendywu, hols are so important to us in this job, go for it

Sarah

wendywu
13-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes i could not live without my holidays, Im even dragging Twinkles away with me to Turkey in the summer, we are both going to be size 8 by then HA HA!

But now i have to go onto Theme park tickets direct and spend £600. on tickets for california at easter. I love disney and would love to take all my mindees just to see their faces when we walk into the magic kingdom:eek:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
14-02-2008, 08:41 AM
There will not be a problem you are giving parents loads of notice.

You will love Florida we have been a few times now would love to go back just cannot afford it. You will have a great time but be prepared it is really exhausting I could have done with another holiday when we got back.

You will have a great time.

Lorraine xx