PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my kids toys seperate from minding stuff?

mumx3
21-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Can you help?

I have 3 kids myself. 10 Year old and 4 year old girls and 1 year old boy. When they have friends round sharing isnt a problem but on the odd occasion something is broken they do get really upset. I do not want them to have to share all their toys or have their stuff broken when I start minding.

How can I keep my kids stuff seperate?

What toys can I provide for after schoolies that will keep them calm but also well occupied!????

When my kids have their friends round they are always hyper! I cant have 3 5-11's also hyper everyday!

Tatjana
21-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I've thought about this too.

I'm planning on keeping most of my childrens toys in their bedroom and have started buying bits that will be for mindees....if i ever get any, lol!

xx

Princess Sara
21-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I have told my ds1 (5) that any toys he does not want mindees to play with he has to keep upstairs. Simple as that. I guess it depends on your house size/amount of toys etc though.

Blackhorse
21-05-2009, 07:33 PM
my dd is only 16 months old at the moment and doesn't mind sharing yet, but I don't want all her toys to end up as cm toys. Some I think will be special for her and her's alone.
So I am thinking to have her toys in her room (not registered so no mindees there) and she will need to learn that if she brings her toys downstairs they will have to be shared. Anything she doesn't want to share will have to remain in her room until mindees are gone.

I hope this will work out as I really want her to have her own room, stuff etc etc so that not everything will be taken over by cm

miss mopple
21-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I have a 9yr old and a 3yr old and they both know that their toys live in their rooms in the week and that if they leave them laying around for the mindees to find then they must share them.

They are both fine with it

PixiePetal
21-05-2009, 07:44 PM
My kids keep their own stuff in their rooms. They are older now, 15 and 12, so are into different things anyway.

When they were young, more toys crossed over between them and Childminding toys. Saying that, they still kept special toys in their bedrooms and only brought them down when mindees had gone home.

TheBTeam
21-05-2009, 07:48 PM
My childrens toys are in their room, and they are allowed to bring them downstairs and the mindees are only allowed to play with them by invitation. I also say to my children anything they have started but can not be put back upstairs must be put on the dining table or on top of computer cabinet and mindees are not allowed to take these things.

I think that your own children should be allowed to play in their living room with their own toys and that they should not necessarily have to share with mindees, having said that i have been lucky in that my kids share most of their toys, not nintendos or anything cos i do not want the risk of a mindee breaking it.

Conversly if it is left laying around then it is fair game for anyone to play with.

Lady Haha
21-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm the same as everyone else here really. My son knows that if he doesn't want mindees playing with his toys, then he doesn't bring them down! I have a playroom full of toys bought specially for mindees, so they don't suffer and he has lots of extra toys to play with too!

I do have a large box in the living room, one of those faux leather things with a lid. My son can keep some of his toys in there too and the mindees know that they aren't allowed to go in it!

loocyloo
21-05-2009, 08:04 PM
my children also keep their toys in their bedrooms, and know that if they bring them downstairs, then everyone has to be allowed to play with them.

my children are pretty good, and happily share their toys, but i do insist on some toys being 'special' and 'their' toys, as i know how upset they would be if they got broken, but as mine grow up, then old special toys move downstairs to the playroom! plus, they like to 'escape' to their rooms and play sometimes!

Pipsqueak
21-05-2009, 08:48 PM
My kids share the majority of their things but they know if they don't want to share it, want the risk of it getting broken etc then it stays upstairs. Minded children know if its out of reach or upstairs then its an ask before you touch

Tups
21-05-2009, 08:54 PM
My kids are all grown up now so i dont have that problem tups

haribo
21-05-2009, 09:03 PM
My kids are all grown up now so i dont have that problem tups

mine too, makes life easier in lots of ways:laughing:

ORKSIE
21-05-2009, 09:15 PM
My kids are grown up too, but when they were little their toys were kept in their room or they could bring them down if they wanted, it was their decision.
They usually kept them upstairs:)

charleyfarley
21-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Any toys downstairs are allowed to be played with by mindees. My 2 know the rules so if they don't want things to be played with they take them upstairs. Certain things are never brought down.

Carol xx

mumx3
22-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will be setting clear boundaries for both the mindees and my kids. So as the toys stay safe upstairs if they are special.

Just realised though that I am going to need to buy some toys for the after schoolies. As everything belongs to my girls.

Off to some car boot sales it is then.

georgie456
22-05-2009, 12:32 PM
My daughter keeps her "specials" as she calls them in a small toybox in her room, and anything she or my son get for birthdays and Christmas etc are also kept upstairs...everything else is for sharing.

Ally
22-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I have told my ds1 (5) that any toys he does not want mindees to play with he has to keep upstairs. Simple as that. I guess it depends on your house size/amount of toys etc though.

This is what I told my children when we have minded children. Sometimes they listen and other times they don't and suffer the consequences! My 4 year old likes to bring her toys down to share with a couple of her school friends whom I look after. That is fine whilst the babies are asleep!

I do now have the advantage of the playroom which we didn't have when I first started minding

ally

The Juggler
22-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I have a 9yr old and a 3yr old and they both know that their toys live in their rooms in the week and that if they leave them laying around for the mindees to find then they must share them.

They are both fine with it

Mine too. The rules are if it's downstairs then it's for sharing.

estrelas
22-05-2009, 06:19 PM
same here, i tell my daughter if she doesn't want to share then it stays upstairs, like her ds, if that got broke then she'd be very upset, so it lives in her room x

mushpea
22-05-2009, 06:47 PM
my kids are the same, they keep their 'special' toys in their rooms and things that come down are shared because i think its unfair for children to watch another child play with a toy when they cant have it, there are lots of toys downstairs to playwith for all ages, infact my children have benifited because they end up with loads of extra toys!!
I also excpect that toys brought here by the minded children are shared for the same reasons and if they dont want to share then the toy goes in my cupboard untill home time.

Helen79
23-05-2009, 07:55 AM
My children's bedroom is our main room for childminding & they share all their toys. It's very difficult to keep them separate as we live in a flat so mindees are allowed in all rooms except my bedroom.

If there's toys that dd doesn't want them to play with, or that I don't want them to play with (dd's twirling baton that's perfect for bashing the tv or a another child's head) gets put in my bedroom til mindees have gone.