PDA

View Full Version : Mindees school awards

louloudi
21-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Do any of you attend your mindees school awards, plays etc. The child's teacher approached me today to see if I wanted to go along to see him get a certficate. Mum can't go she's working.

On one hand I think 'Aww poor child no one to see him' then on the other I think 'I'm not his parent!' tbh I don't get an invite if its my own getting an award!

I'll have his 2yr old brother with me and as we all know 2yr olds won't sit still in a school asembly so I don't think I'll bother. But just out of interest how many of you attend events for your mindees in place of parents?

Tatjana
21-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Hmm, hadn't though of this before. But i think i might go, depending on how I felt about the child I suppose, wouldn't be nice for them not to share the moment with someone there.

I can't imagine not going for my own childrens plays etc

xx

tinkerbelle
21-05-2009, 05:58 PM
i do but my kids are in the same assemblies as well i also take pics of them as their mums cant get

sweets
21-05-2009, 06:02 PM
i think i would probably go tbh, as long as they are not too often, it will be nice for his brother to see him, ive been to plenty of school assemblies with 2 year olds and i think if you are organised and have a bag of 'goodies' with you they are usually ok! lol

PixiePetal
21-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I have been in the past. Usually parent has told me about it and asked if it would be possible, never the teacher.

Don't mind if it fits in with others, child loved it.

helenlc
21-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I would go. When I was a nanny I wen to the twins Xmas concert as mum and dad couldnt get there.

I also used to take them to my children's assesmblies from when they were 12months old - I kept them in their double buggy and took dummies, drinks and quiet snacks, books to look at etc. I never had a problem with them.

If you think the 2 yr old might play up, explain to older child that if he creates a disturbance you might have to leave. This saves him watching you leave halfway through and wondering why you are leaving.

Personally I have never missed ONE assembley, sports day or Xmas concert (although I do confess to shirking Harvest Festival duties!!:blush: ) of my own children and couldnt imagine not going. Another reason I became a childminder was to be able to attend these things.

rickysmiths
21-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I would go. When I was a nanny I wen to the twins Xmas concert as mum and dad couldnt get there.

I also used to take them to my children's assesmblies from when they were 12months old - I kept them in their double buggy and took dummies, drinks and quiet snacks, books to look at etc. I never had a problem with them.

If you think the 2 yr old might play up, explain to older child that if he creates a disturbance you might have to leave. This saves him watching you leave halfway through and wondering why you are leaving.

Personally I have never missed ONE assembley, sports day or Xmas concert (although I do confess to shirking Harvest Festival duties!!:blush: ) of my own children and couldnt imagine not going. Another reason I became a childminder was to be able to attend these things.

This is why I started childminding. So I would be around to go to all my childrens occassions. If mindees parents can't go to a school event I definately try to go. If they are going in the evening then if I can I try to go to the afternoon one, usually more child tollerent. I rarely have any problem with younger mindees, they usually like to see their friends or the sleep!!! lol!

My mindees have always loved it if I have been able to go to things.

haribo
21-05-2009, 09:31 PM
yes i often go , usually if parents cant attend but on occasion as well as parents , if the mindees want me to and im able to :laughing:

Pipsqueak
21-05-2009, 09:32 PM
oh yes I'd definately go.

nemo97
21-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I always go. Its nice for the mindees to see a familiar face :)

huggableshelly
22-05-2009, 05:19 AM
i go for all my mindees special assemblies unless parents are able to be there.

i learnt a hard lesson with one parent, she promised her child she would be there to watch his play but when i picked him up he was heart broken .... she forgot! so i make the extra effort to be there for all of his regardless of what his mother says. I know we do not get paid for the times we devote to watching their school activites but its wonderful to see them and its something more to discuss at home time. It also shows commitment to supporting the child and school, worth documenting to show ofsted that you are a pro-active childminder.

Roseolivia
22-05-2009, 06:50 AM
I'd probably go, i know they're not your children but think how upset they'd be if no-one could see him getting an award.

louloudi
22-05-2009, 11:35 AM
well ... I went

Dad turned up too! and just one other parent. It was good and the little one did really well considering dad was there and the assembly went on for 1hr and 10 mins!!:eek:

I took the camera and will print some pictures for mum and his file of couse :D

sweets
22-05-2009, 11:50 AM
quite often when i go to these things the little ones grandmas are usually there and the little ones insist on sitting with them which is great for me! lol

huggableshelly
22-05-2009, 11:53 AM
cool I'm glad you decided to go