PDA

View Full Version : did you register as a food business

mozarella
20-05-2009, 05:15 PM
the post on pre registration forum is getting me a bit worried.

I had no idea I had to register to the environmental health department as a food business to be able to provide meals to my mindees. This was not even mentioned on my childminding course.

I will give a call to the depatment tomorrow and see what they require from me but it is all news to me

Is there anything else as well I have miised to do:

Did the childminding course
First aid
got ofsted certificate

anything else?

Moz

PixiePetal
20-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I registered. Give them a ring, as soon as I said I was a Childminder they said they would put the form in the post!

Filled in, sent back and received certificate. That was it.

Tatjana
20-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I forgot about this too, my development officer reminded me on Monday.

Hopefully we've not forgotten anything else?!

xx

misst104
20-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I sent my form off to them a while ago but haven't heard anything back from them.

xxx

OrlandoBelle
20-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I haven't yet as i just heard about it. I've been registered 6 months, but it was never mentioned in any of the courses i've been on. My pre-reg inspector never said anything either. How are we supposed to know any of these things if ofsted don't tell us. Are we supposed to do everything just on hearsay?

madasahatter
20-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I registered with environmental health about a year ago (I'm in Bradford area like you mist104). I haven't heard anything form them, but having talked in detail with the person there, when I asked for the registration form, I didn't expect to get anything back. They said that they keep childminders details in a filing cabinet and would only do something with them if there was a complaint that may involve an investigation.

just thought I'd add that not all environmental health departments operate the same regarding childminding. Some do carry out inspections so it would be worth asking.

PixiePetal
20-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I haven't yet as i just heard about it. I've been registered 6 months, but it was never mentioned in any of the courses i've been on. My pre-reg inspector never said anything either. How are we supposed to know any of these things if ofsted don't tell us. Are we supposed to do everything just on hearsay?

Quite often , yes!!

Zoomie
20-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Its written in the EYFS books, so not heresay.

sarah707
20-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Its written in the EYFS books, so not heresay.

Absolutely! It's a requirement of the Eyfs... some areas don't want childminders though. Best to ring up and check. :D

youarewhatyoueat
20-05-2009, 10:30 PM
hope this helps

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/regchildcarersadvice.pdf#page=1

Mollymop
21-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Moz, it sounds as if you have got everything covered. If you have done your ICP course (childminding course) and first aid, you have done everything that is expected of you to become a childminder.

mozarella
21-05-2009, 08:30 AM
i just called the environmental health officer of my local authority and they said I dont need to do anything !

Pipsqueak
21-05-2009, 08:41 AM
i just called the environmental health officer of my local authority and they said I dont need to do anything !

Right then - you have done your bit and spoken to the environmental health - record that and what they have said . Note down time, date and who you spoke to. You have your proof if you are questioned now.

Can I just point out though - each LA is implementing this differently - please check with yours to see what you have to do. It IS a requirement of EYFS and of some EU directive - its up to the LA if they are bothering with childminders - so please do check.

You can still use the Better Food Safer Business pack for caterers - it will show OFsted that you are aware of your responsibilities (possible extra brownie points!!!) and its an easy to use pack with tons of information. Its is still the responsibility of the childminder to show that they are aware of what they have to do and try to comply with it.

grindal
21-05-2009, 10:11 AM
And the safer food better business pack has a really handy wallet at the back you can keep your food receipts in :jump for joy:

wellybelly
21-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Give your local council a call, they are very nice people who are here to help us. Use them to your advantage.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I rang the council and registered and then 6 months later I had a phone interview. I would do a food hygiene course aswell.