PDA

View Full Version : I've Made a Treasure Basket

Polka Dots
20-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi there, :)

I've started to put together a treasure basket today. Visited Dunelm and Home Bargains to get a few extras. Have you got one? I'm interested to know what your/the parents/Ofsted's opinion of them is?

claires
20-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I have quite a few different treasure baskets on the go at the moment. I love 'em! Ofsted commented on them when they came. Said it was good for children to play with natural things not just the usual toys that we seem to think babies will like!
I got a good book called little book of treasure baskets which i find really helpful when making up my baskets. I got it from amazon i think. I will warn you though there is a whole range of Little books series and I ended up ordering quite a few more than I intended.:blush:
Claire xx

sarah707
20-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Little one used to love mine until he developed a throwing schema :rolleyes:

I have 2 now because I can't stop buying little odds and bobs to go in it :D

Mouse
20-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I have 2 now because I can't stop buying little odds and bobs to go in it :D

Same here! Cook shops are great for finding unusual wooden things. I bought something once & the woman asked what I used it for as no one in the shop knew what it was. I said I didn't know, it was to go in a treasure basket :laughing:

pinklady
20-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm lucky and went on a sensory play course for 0-3's and it was great! As well as talking about messy play we concentrated on treasure baskets and the importance of playing with natural items.

The course was £25 which was to cover the cost of the treasure basket that normally sells for £75. I have to say that the children absolutely love playing with it and it gives lots of opportunity to observe all the areas of learning & development.

Polka Dots
20-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I've enjoyed making it plus I've done it on the cheap. I'll be popping to my Mum's house for a rummage around, she's bound to have loads of stuff. Have you seen how much some companies charge for ready-made ones on the net? :eek:

Polka Dots
20-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm lucky and went on a sensory play course for 0-3's and it was great! As well as talking about messy play we concentrated on treasure baskets and the importance of playing with natural items.

The course was £25 which was to cover the cost of the treasure basket that normally sells for £75. I have to say that the children absolutely love playing with it and it gives lots of opportunity to observe all the areas of learning & development.

I'd love to go on this type of course but it's not offered locally.

pinklady
20-05-2009, 05:54 PM
It's so annoying that you can't get on the same courses nationally. I've been very jealous of some of the courses some of you have been on!:blush:

Forgot to say that this is the company that supplied my treasure basket. It's quite a useful site to get some ideas of what to put in your basket. I still need to get a mug tree which the children love to hang different sized wooden curtain rings onto.

http://www.earlyexcellence.com/treasure_baskets.html

Toothfairy
20-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I would like to make up a couple of treasure baskets myself, so I am watching this thread with interest, so i can pinch some ideas from you all. :thumbsup:

Polka Dots
20-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I looked on the Surestart website to get ideas. Here's the link; http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0000221.pdf

sweets
20-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I still need to get a mug tree which the children love to hang different sized wooden curtain rings onto.

What a great idea! going to get 1 too:)

Polka Dots
20-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I got a good book called little book of treasure baskets which i find really helpful when making up my baskets. I got it from amazon i think. I will warn you though there is a whole range of Little books series and I ended up ordering quite a few more than I intended.:blush:
Claire xx

I see what you mean messy play, outdoor play, mark making etc. I understand your predicament, hard to get one without the others. :laughing: