PDA

View Full Version : has chilminding taken over you life

Lincsminder
20-05-2009, 11:45 AM
ive been on maternity leave since before xmas and in most other jobs that would mean having a complete brake from work. But I seem to be still checking this forum daily, looking at things on ofsted website amongst others, updating forms, buying resorses, attending meetings and training ect. Dh can't understand why I don't put it all to the back of my mind for a few months, its not as though I am bored or have nothing else to do.

Pipsqueak
20-05-2009, 11:52 AM
at the moment with the coursework etc,. yes my life does seem dominated by childminding related things BUT I do strive for a balance and it all normally works itself out

sonia ann
20-05-2009, 11:56 AM
yes it does seem like that sometimes....I think it's because we work from home we can never really walk away from it, plus there is always something more you can do:)

Roseolivia
20-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Me too, everything seems to revolve around this job, whether it's wanting to have a few days holiday, buying things when out doing family shopping, f.degree etc... At least when i worked as an assessor once i came home that was it i didn't think about work but working from home it's constantly there

wendywu
20-05-2009, 12:00 PM
simple answer YES or so my DH would like to tell you:laughing:

Daftbat
20-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Life? What life? At the moment everything is revfolving around children be it mindees or daughter taking exams.

Roll on Friday when we go camping - except that a customer of mine has just told me she is going to come and see me whilst i am away!!!! I have told her i am definitely OFF DUTY over the weekend.:panic:

georgie456
20-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I was the same - I came off maternity leave in March after taking the full 9 months "off" but was working on paperwork et since the EYFS started in September.

My DH thought I was mad too! However, as annoying as it was, in hindsight, I am very grateful for the time to just concentrate getting my setting ready for EYFS without having to mind children at the same time!!! Sad isn't it??!!!

Blackhorse
20-05-2009, 01:14 PM
yes, and I haven't even got any mindees yet..!!

I think it is very easy as we are working from home....and it is your own business so it's not like you are working for someone else.

Saying that my old job was talking over my life too. Loads and loads of overtime, overseas travel...thinking about the projects etc etc etc...so
I guess if you are the type that works hard and cares about what you do then it is very easy for any job to take over your life!!

I would suggest to have a childmindig free day/time where you will never work on your policies paperwork etc etc to make sure you don't suffer from any burn out as this can easily happen!!

littlestar
20-05-2009, 01:19 PM
yes yes yes my family will tell you so i try to swiitch off at home time and weekends but i cant thought there was something wrong with me :laughing:

Mrs.L.C
20-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Pretty much yes - just goes to show we all love our job

Andrea08
20-05-2009, 01:48 PM
YES

so the Miss Hewitt 's of the world can go :censored:

its a good servise i provide so i put in a lot of hrs to make it the best that i can xxx

youarewhatyoueat
20-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes, Yes and Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Boy
20-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I dont know if it has taken over my life but it certainly has changed it:jump for joy: I used to work in an office tied to a desk and always have to answer questions that other people should have known the answer (They were paid more aswell:rolleyes: )
Now I enjoy getting up in the morning and greeting the children and parents. Ok I am doing an NVQ at college and sometimes it is hard, when I left school we still used slate and chalk :laughing:laughing: (Yes I am that OLD, but have kept my good looks:rolleyes: )

Love
Mick xx

Nix
20-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Life...what life??:laughing:

Yes it takes up a lot of time but it's worth it for the pleasure the little darlings bring...:D

Angela234
20-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Easy answer YES

Alibali
20-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Oh yes! All the time.

Daddy Day Care
20-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm not registered yet but already its took over my life. Everything i do or tlak about seems to be related to childminding in soem sort of way and I guess its only guna get worse once im registered.

Gareth
xx

Gizmo
20-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Yep and it is driving dh mad and every time I try to avoid talking about it, it always comes back into conversation:laughing:

Toothfairy
20-05-2009, 06:50 PM
YES!!! My evenings and weekends are used to catch up on course work, paper work, planning etc.

TheBTeam
20-05-2009, 07:14 PM
YES most definately and families as well!

Lady Haha
20-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes! And it's taken over my house too! Everywhere you look here you can tell I'm a childminder! Parents have even commented on my house looking like a nursery! The first thing they see before they even ring the bell is my multi lingual welcome poster in the window, as they come in, they pass the kids personal drawers and ring binders on their right, look left and theres the fire drill record on the wall. A bit further on, theres the kids coat hooks, then the playroom! My kitchen cupboards are covered in the kids reward charts, my mon-Fri events sheets etc. The living room is the only room that sometimes gets away with not looking like a nursery (but only when I'm not working), then theres the garden with the swings, scooters, blah blah blah. Even if they went to the loo they would be confronted by posters of tigger washing his hands and turning the taps off!:laughing:

Oh, and lets not forget the great big blue 'bus' parked outside!

michellethegooner
20-05-2009, 10:13 PM
simple answer YESSSSSS every time I go to the shops I spot something that would come in useful for minding lol even now at 11pm I am on the forum discussing :rolleyes:

beerheaven
20-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Yes!!

BUT a couple of months ago I realised I was spending far too much time on paperwork. I thought long and hard about it all and now I only do what I really need to do. I have streamlined my planning and obs. which were taking up way too much time.

I now have a rule that I do no childminding stuff over weekends......and life is so much better!!

I had to remind myself why I came into the childminding profession - to spend more time with my own kids - and that wasn't the case a few months ago.

janiefear
21-05-2009, 07:33 AM
yes, and my home and my garden and my mum's home and my mum's garden - but I wouldn't change it for the world - yet.

Pipsqueak
21-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes!!

BUT a couple of months ago I realised I was spending far too much time on paperwork. I thought long and hard about it all and now I only do what I really need to do. I have streamlined my planning and obs. which were taking up way too much time.

I now have a rule that I do no childminding stuff over weekends......and life is so much better!!

I had to remind myself why I came into the childminding profession - to spend more time with my own kids - and that wasn't the case a few months ago.

EXACTLY, spot on and well said:thumbsup: