PDA

View Full Version : Food Hygiene course and a moan (sorry)

Miriam
20-05-2009, 10:38 AM
I am just waiting for the CRB checks to come back and then hopefully for Ofsted to register me. I have a family who all being well will want to start at the beginning of August (with a settling in period from mid July) so I am keeping my fingers crossed that things will work out and they won't change their minds as they want quite a lot of hours. Also that the CRBs will be through in time (have been on stage four since early May so I know I still have a long wait)

Anyway my question is that noone at my local Family Information Service has mentioned the Food Hygiene Course but I thought that this was something I had to do BEFORE I start minding, and that I also have to have the environmental health people round? Can anyone advise as I cant afford to have any more delays as I really dont want to loose the family who are hopefully starting in August!

Also, is there anything else that I am supposed to have done in terms of courses etc? I have done my first aid and ICP.

Feeling pretty low today as there seem to be lots of childminders with vacancies in this area - lots of whom are better qualified than me as I am only just starting out, and just worried about getting work and that things wont work out with this family in August - have lost about 4 families along the way - but I know it is the same for everyone going through the process.

Thanks for any advice.

sarah707
20-05-2009, 10:41 AM
The Eyfs says you must be registered as a food business - they do not always come out to visit.

Food hygiene is a good course, but not a requirement so it's something you could do at some stage in the future.

Hope it goes quickly for you! :D

Pippa31
20-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm confused here....... not hard some days!!

If we live in England do we have to have environmental health round? And do we need to be registered as a food business as mentioned above??

Zoomie
20-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Yes, if you are in England, you have to follow guidelines of EYFS which states we need to be registered as a food business.

Phone up the environmental health department of your local council and they will send you out an application form. Some areas do inspections, others dont. My county says you need to apply at least 30 days before you need to start trading, so best get those applications in soon.

I received a nice little folder from the food standards agency, telling me all I need to know (all common sense).

It also isn't complusary to do a food hygiene course, but it does show committment / professionalism etc, and it is does earn you another certificate for your wall or folder :laughing: :laughing:

Debster
20-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I called to register with my local enironmental health and they asked me a few questions. I do not at this present time prepare food the little boy I look after brings a packed lunch. They told me that as I was not preparing the food I didi not have to register I questioned the fact that I would still be storing his food would they not want to ensure I was doing that right she said no call back when you are actually preparing food and we will send you a form and then inspect your home she did say as I worked from home they would have to give at least 24hrs before a inspection. so give them a call and no you do not need food hygiene prior to minding just first aid and crb
Deb

mozarella
20-05-2009, 03:53 PM
The Eyfs says you must be registered as a food business - they do not always come out to visit.
Food hygiene is a good course, but not a requirement so it's something you could do at some stage in the future.

Hope it goes quickly for you! :D

i didnt know that and i am not registered but starting on 1st June

Pippa31
20-05-2009, 03:58 PM
It seems odd that this is not mentioned when you go on a childminding course as it is obviously quiet important!!
Mind you beging to discover there are loads of things they don't tell you on the pre reg courses. I am finding out via here and other childminders.....