PDA

View Full Version : Altogether happier today

uf353432
19-05-2009, 07:43 PM
I took on a 4 yr old mindee, for just one afternoon a week until after half term. He is very single minded - knows exactly what he likes and what he doesn't like. Until mid June he is my only mindee so he is a good to have on board so I can ease myself into things gently and work out if my systems work.

Today is his 3rd week, week 2 was just horrible. I planned loads of cool activities and he wasn't interested - he asked to watch TV just about every 10 mins and I really struggled to keep his interest. In the end I put a load of duplo down and let him get on with it. By the end of last week I wondered if I was cut out for childminding. It was a long 5 hours!!

This week though, brilliant. He even tested the boundaries with his behaviour and responded well to the management of it. We had fun and he watched about 15 mins of TV at the end of the afternoon - such was his enthusiasm for playing and doing stuff. I felt at the end of today relief and jubilent that I might actually be ok at this childminding.

I am really pleased actually as I have this lad until summer hols, another one starts in June until mid aug and then I go pretty much full time from Sept. I think I needed today to realise that there is a pretty fantastic side to childminding which makes the down days not so bad. Overhearing tell my oldest in front of his mum that he liked coming to my house was reward itself!

Just wanted to share really. Its been a great day.....

Gizmo
19-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Really pleased for you, glad he is settling in :thumbsup:

louloudi
19-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Great to hear:)

I certainly question if I am cut out fot this in the kids are being a pain and i've only been minding for 6 months. Then I get good days and I feel like its worthwhile and I can actually do this.

Long may it continue

TheBTeam
19-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Well done it is great when you have a good day, the job is one of the better ones i can think of, i have had a few dodgy days with kids and parents, but i still don't think there is anything else i would rather do, well except not work full stop at the moment!

Daftbat
19-05-2009, 07:51 PM
So pleased things are working out - I love it when a plan comes together:thumbsup:

Daddy Day Care
19-05-2009, 08:00 PM
So nice to hear something possitive, glad its worked out well for you and hope the nxt few weeks are just as good for you.

Gareth
xx

miffy
19-05-2009, 08:37 PM
It's lovely when they begin to settle - well done, I'm glad it's working out for you

Miffy xx

beckyteddy
19-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Ahh, thats brilliant news, well done you:clapping:

Roseolivia
20-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Great that you've had a better week. Everyone gets these down days, we work such long hours and then have our 'home' life after the mindees have gone that sometimes it can be too much.