PDA

View Full Version : Free early years

louloudi
19-05-2009, 07:38 PM
OMG after just replying to sarah's post this morning ref these free hours. My only regular parent has anounced she is moving the children come september as the local nursery has sent a letter home offering the 15hrs plus wrap around care 9-3!!! so I then lose out :(

Great... Better get advertising, She's due a baby in august and she can't sent that one to nursery!!!

Has anyone else been affected by this yet! I bet its going to happen more and more. One things for sure the school and nursery won't be open 52weeks of the year! and if I take on full timers I bet she hasn't thought about what she'll do come the holidays!!

Sorry for the rant but im raging today as I found out I've been online frauded for £800:angry:

Daftbat
19-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I have not heard of this happening near me. You are right though that they won't do holidays!

Sorry to hear about the fraud thing - some people are right b*******ds!

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 08:02 PM
yes this is happening a lot esp ere as blackpool already offer the full15 hrs.

cm's will end up as holiday care/ over night, unsociable hrs eg early mornings and holidays although my school offers summer club for £20 a day that undercuts me by £10 a day ( i charge £3 hr x 10 hrs £30 inc meals and outings!)

all my mindees leave when 3ys old and sometimes i dont get the wrap around care as other mums step in and take turns!!!

hence why janet and i are registering to become accredited,, interviews next month, shame not all LA allow cm's to become accredited.

not sure if ncma will allow you to become accredited without a network and co-ordinator but could be worth asking???

sarah707
19-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I think we're going to find it happening more and more :(

Crap about the money hope the bank are being helpful xx

beckyteddy
19-05-2009, 08:36 PM
You poor thing, bank fraud makes you feel sick doesn't it? It happened to me and I couldn't sleep because I felt so sick and aggitated, they sorted it out for me but I still rememeber how horrible it felt:(

I've also been worried about loosing children to nurseries, but it really comes down to what parents want for their children. I offer a home-from-home environment, the children I care for can have naps in a cosy bedroom if they need them, they can get out and about in the real world every day and they are treated like part of my family. Good nurseries are brilliant at what they do, but I don't think they can compete in terms of the homely, relaxed informal, tailor-made care that we can offer.

Chimps Childminding
19-05-2009, 09:09 PM
You poor thing, bank fraud makes you feel sick doesn't it? It happened to me and I couldn't sleep because I felt so sick and aggitated, they sorted it out for me but I still rememeber how horrible it felt:(

I've also been worried about loosing children to nurseries, but it really comes down to what parents want for their children. I offer a home-from-home environment, the children I care for can have naps in a cosy bedroom if they need them, they can get out and about in the real world every day and they are treated like part of my family. Good nurseries are brilliant at what they do, but I don't think they can compete in terms of the homely, relaxed informal, tailor-made care that we can offer.

I agree, but unfortunately some parents don't want to pay us if they can get Nursery for free!!!! Hopefully most parents put their children before their bank balance!!!:D

michellethegooner
19-05-2009, 09:13 PM
yep this is gonna happen more and more and we are gonna get left with the crumbs,

hope the bank is sorting out your money, happened to me and it is horrible!!!

Ally
19-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Just been looking around about this and what I see is that it is for a minimum of 38 weeks a year - that is a school year - what about the holidays and inset days? I have one child who goes to a day nursery on a mon and tues as I didn't have the space for him full time - they discovered that it was cheaper! not sure whether he will stay long when they discover this!!! :panic:
The only thing is it is closed on school inset days as it is attached to the school! I have him on those days. :)

Ally

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 10:06 PM
if only we could fill these places so when parents come bk and say
"oh but the nursery is closed why can't you have Lo?"

we can say well you chose the free option and left me in the lerch so i filled your place and no im full in all the holidays too,,,"egg in your face:D "

oh that would be satisfying esp thoes parents that treat us like 2nd hand childcare baby sitters..

sorry going off on one but goverment should think about all settings before changes,, and as always i think cm's are a 2nd thought as in oh crumbs what about cm's when children centers poped up in all 4 corners and crannies of my town!!!???

louloudi
20-05-2009, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=Andrea08;427478]if only we could fill these places so when parents come bk and say
"oh but the nursery is closed why can't you have Lo?"

we can say well you chose the free option and left me in the lerch so i filled your place and no im full in all the holidays too,,,"egg in your face:D "

QUOTE]

exactly!!! this is what will happen, Do parents realise this at all!!! I swear they only move their kids cause its cheaper. Well, if they come back wanting holiday time only I'll up my fees!!

Someone posted earlier that settings are losing out offering these free hours:eek: What is the Government thinking off, short changing childcare's again!!!! We're already statistically one of the lowest paid job sectors:angry:

Oops I'm on my soap box again

Phoned the bank about my £800, said they will sort it, Its was for Avon.. I didn't think anyone could be so ugly they'd need £800 worth of products:eek:

Minstrel
20-05-2009, 07:57 AM
probably an Avon rep who cant meet their targets :rolleyes:

The Juggler
20-05-2009, 12:40 PM
yes, which is why it's all the more annoying when your LA refuse to set up an NCMA quality assured network - so you can't even offer yourself as an option. However, the nurseries are losing money having to stick to the government rate for the free education so not sure that would help either. 15 hours is nothing over a week though so imagine most working parents will still need someone to do breakfast, take to nursery etc - I hope!

yes this is happening a lot esp ere as blackpool already offer the full15 hrs.

cm's will end up as holiday care/ over night, unsociable hrs eg early mornings and holidays although my school offers summer club for £20 a day that undercuts me by £10 a day ( i charge £3 hr x 10 hrs £30 inc meals and outings!)

all my mindees leave when 3ys old and sometimes i dont get the wrap around care as other mums step in and take turns!!!

hence why janet and i are registering to become accredited,, interviews next month, shame not all LA allow cm's to become accredited.

not sure if ncma will allow you to become accredited without a network and co-ordinator but could be worth asking???

HomefromHome
20-05-2009, 12:50 PM
this is a worry - but there are some parents out there who would rather a cm than a nursery - both mine wouldnt do that - one gets full tax credits to pay me so it doesnt affect her anyway - and the other likes my home from home environment.

i have a back up in that i have just become quality assured and joined our local network so hopefully i can fall back on that - i'm SEN at the mo but can add or change to offering funded nursery places too.

:D