PDA

View Full Version : Peanut butter spread

Zoomie
19-05-2009, 12:22 PM
:angry: Just got back from toddlers group at our local surestart centre this morning.

Everyone usually sits down at the end of the session and the LOs have a snack. Today, peanut butter was put out.

Now I know my LO is okay with peanut butter, but there were 25 children there, and all of them were under 3 years old.

According to the food standards agency, if your family suffers from an allergy they recommend you should refrain from giving LO peanut butter until they are at least 3.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/baby/weaning/?lang=en

Anyhow I queried it, and they came back with an answer on the lines that the HV had recommended it, provided it was in a separate bowl, for parents to dish up if they wanted.

Now my friend's DD suffers from a nut allergy and she just has to touch a child who has had nuts, and she has a reaction. This child has a epi-pen so you can see how danagerous it is.

Anyhow their answer was to write it up in the comments book.:huh:

Is it just me, or do you think that nuts really shouldn't be served in such public areas. Nuts are not allowed at any of the schools my children attend, so why not the surestart centres too ?

grindal
19-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I totally agree with you. I have a nut allergy and also carry an epi pen. Apparently even the smell of nuts can trigger a reaction in some people and I have been warned that future reactions could be far more severe than my previous attacks.
Write to your Sure Start and CC to your Health Centre.
Grindal

aly
19-05-2009, 12:34 PM
As you said it is up to the parents if they want it. but then again {like you say} depending on the child and how serious you only have to be in the same 'air'.

For a sure start I dont think they should have it htere....maybe speak to the other parents and see what they say? and maybe complain together?

Daftbat
19-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I think that if things are clearly labelled then it should be ok. It is up to individual parents to ensure that their children are not at risk.

I care for a child who used to be allergic to dairy products and that has gone now but been replaced with a nut allergy. She is 13 and it has been impossible over the years to stop the other children having some things just because she can't. I have made sure she is aware and supervised her meals and had no problems.

If your friends daughter had been at the session you talk about then i would have thought a chat to the organisers could have resulted in ensuring every child had their hands and mouths wiped properly after snack in order to avoid contamination.

I know its difficult but children and adults have to be educated about how to deal with things rather than just avoid everything.

TheBTeam
19-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Whether or not it is okay i am in two minds, what i am surprised about is why do something so controversial, i wonder who risk assessed that and decided it was worth bothering, there are so many other things that they could put out that would not cause such potential controversy or risk!!

I would have gone for the easy option and not bothered.

Blackhorse
19-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I made a cake and profiterols for our toddler group before. (for the parents to go with the tea and coffee)
the cake contained nuts .I don't know anyone that has a nut allergy so probably wasn't thinking about nuts too much and thought it will be ok as long as I tell them, which is what I did.
They put a little sign up beside the cake saying contains nuts and that was that.
I think that as long as things are clearly labbeled then it should be ok.

I probably would not have used peanuts though as children with parents that have any allergies are adviced not to eat peanuts as far as I know.

I also think nuts are very healthy ....

rickysmiths
19-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I have peanut butter in the house for my own son, but I never give it to or offer it to minded children. I am shocked that it is was put out and even more shocked that it was apparently on the recommendation of a HV!

inspiron
19-05-2009, 12:59 PM
i think a lot of people think that a nut allergie is something some people suffer with but it is a very serious thing i looked after a little boy who had this and he only had to be sitting near someone who was eating something with nuts in it his lips would swell his eyes would swell and close and he would get big water blisters on his lips i would have to act very quickly before his airway could close this is a very serious problem people die and i dont think any nuts should be used at a sure start family center

Hebs
19-05-2009, 01:00 PM
i thought the guidelines had changed??

unless there is a family history of nut allergies i thought it was now recommended to allow children to have nuts??

although in my son's school nuts are NOT allowed at all due to a child having an allergy, we were all sent a letter telling us to keep lunch boxes nut free, i wasn't too impressed TBH as my son is dairy intollerant and the school WILL NOT ensure his meals (that i pay for) are dairy free, they even allow him to have ice cream :angry:

Saranotts
19-05-2009, 01:12 PM
On my last first aid course we were also warned that nuts should not be given to under 3's as they can bind together when not chewed properly and so become a choking hazard. I would have though the same would apply to peanut butter.

Sara

FizzysFriends
19-05-2009, 01:34 PM
i thought the guidelines had changed??

unless there is a family history of nut allergies i thought it was now recommended to allow children to have nuts??

although in my son's school nuts are NOT allowed at all due to a child having an allergy, we were all sent a letter telling us to keep lunch boxes nut free, i wasn't too impressed TBH as my son is dairy intollerant and the school WILL NOT ensure his meals (that i pay for) are dairy free, they even allow him to have ice cream :angry:

I was told not to let DD have nuts until shes 6. I don't have a nut allergy but am allergic to loads of things so may be thats the reason. Or because she started to be asthmatic and nuts trigger my asthma?

Nut allergy and dairy intollerance are totally different things and nut allergy is very dangerous and they don't need to have eaten nuts to have a reaction.

MissTinkerbell
19-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm also in 2 minds about this. I appreciate the fact that some children do have very serious allergies and care has to be taken to protect these children.

I was told on my ICP course that I could not have peanut butter in my house in case I had a child with an allergy or even if I knew that child didn't they could still develop it. I was incensed because my own children adore peanut butter and jam sandwiches and tend to have these most days for lunch. Needless to say I spoke to my mum who was quite happy for me to give mine PB and they have it most days.

DD1s school sent a letter home to ask that she not take anything 'nut' in her lunch box cos of an older child in Y6 having minor nut allergy! She also has a friend in her class who has nut allergy and no letter came home for her. The older child's parent is a governor.

sarah707
19-05-2009, 01:52 PM
As the mother of a child who would end up in hospital if he walked into a room where there were peanuts or spread containing peanuts, I have to say I think it was a very silly and unprofessional thing they did.

I would write a very stiff letter of complaint. :(

Playmate
19-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I think serving PB in a toddler group is dangerous, Even if food is labelled and chilren are supervised backs can be turned for 2 seconds and we all know what a toddler can do in that 2 seconds!! I once (many years ago) I gave peanut butter to a minded child (age 3)who we had no prior knowledge had any allergies. She was a vegetarain and a poor eater and I in my wisdom thought that would be a very good way of getting protein into this child. Wow I had never seen anything happen so quick (and I'm a nurse :blush: )she started immediately to go into anaphylaxis and it was very frightening!
I appreciate that other children do have other allergies and we all have to be careful but I really thin we should keep toddler groups nut and dairy free.

her8y
19-05-2009, 02:58 PM
There are so many other choices which could be offered I am surprised that something as controversial as peanut butter was offered:eek:

fionamal
19-05-2009, 03:08 PM
When I helped run the Playgroup up here, peanuts of any form were completely banned. My kids school also ask all parents to refrain from having nuts of any form in the childrens snacks and lunches.

I certainly dont use nuts for mindees but my own 2 do get peanuts but only on weekends when its only just us.

One of my mindees just needs to smell it of your breath and he has a convulsion so its not worth it.

CCJD
19-05-2009, 03:32 PM
The problem with peanut butter is that it's sticky stuff. I have never know an under three be able to eat something of that consistency and not get it on their hands. One random touch of a chair/ toy and a child who is allergic is in trouble. My niece is allergic and her parents only found out because a knife , which has been scraped clean of peanut butter was used to butter her toast. It was invisible to the eye but the trace was enough.
I think this centre (and HV) are mad to think that providing peanut butter is simply a matter of parental choice and that they can keep the environment clean of peanuts when under 3's have been eating it??!!!??!!

Mollymop
19-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't think nuts should be available at children's centres, no.
Most nurseries and pre-schools are not allowed nuts on the premises.