PDA

View Full Version : when does a childminder's home become a nursery?

julie w
19-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi just out of interst I was wondering, how many children do you need before you should be classed as a nursey. There is a childminder near me who has over 20 children and some assisstants, but is still classed as a childminder. It's all above board because she's quite often been in the local paper for one thing or another with our develpment officer. It's just curiosity really (is that the same as being nosey lol)

huggableshelly
19-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi just out of interst I was wondering, how many children do you need before you should be classed as a nursey. There is a childminder near me who has over 20 children and some assisstants, but is still classed as a childminder. It's all above board because she's quite often been in the local paper for one thing or another with our develpment officer. It's just curiosity really (is that the same as being nosey lol)

I think it is when you have more than 3 working adults on the premises at any one time but rules may have changed ... good on her for having so many children and staff too work must be booming in your area

christine e
19-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I think it is when you have more than 3 working adults on the premises at any one time but rules may have changed ... good on her for having so many children and staff too work must be booming in your area

I believe it is more than 3 working adults at any one time

Cx

estrelas
19-05-2009, 12:23 PM
well done her

I know for one thing, i wouldn't want twenty kids in my house, not for all the money in the world :laughing: :laughing:

Kinda looses the benifits of being a childminder doesn't it? Thats why some parents prefer childminders, less children.

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 12:26 PM
well done her

I know for one thing, i wouldn't want twenty kids in my house, not for all the money in the world :laughing: :laughing:

Kinda looses the benifits of being a childminder doesn't it? Thats why some parents prefer childminders, less children.

i have to agree think she may think she is a nursery!!!

Blackhorse
19-05-2009, 12:26 PM
wow, I would like to see her house!!!!!!

I think it is true though what ke30 has said. even if she is still classes as a cm, if the perception is that it is more like a nursery some parents might be put off by that. but then again if she is full she must be doing somehting right!

FizzysFriends
19-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Gosh. She must have a big house. Its great that she can be so busy, wish there was that much demand in this area.

Playmate
19-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm sure she can't have 20 children all at once because she would still have to have 1/3 ratio under 5yrs. As far as I know you are classed as a nursery if there is more than 3 minders together. Usually, (unless you have a mansion) ofsted will only usually register upto 9 or 10 and that is with written consent from local council.
My husband and I work together and have had upto 15 on our books! all part time. The numbers soon add up!

Rubybubbles
19-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm sure she can't have 20 children all at once because she would still have to have 1/3 ratio under 5yrs. As far as I know you are classed as a nursery if there is more than 3 minders together. Usually, (unless you have a mansion) ofsted will only usually register upto 9 or 10 and that is with written consent from local council.
My husband and I work together and have had upto 15 on our books! all part time. The numbers soon add up!

yep def agree on 3 or more working together is NOT childminding

Blue Boy
19-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Must say feels like a nursery to me:rolleyes: Then again we run our setting professionally unlike some nurseries we have heard about:panic:

Love

Mick
Childminders Rule

rickysmiths
19-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Must say feels like a nursery to me:rolleyes: Then again we run our setting professionally unlike some nurseries we have heard about:panic:

Love

Mick
Childminders Rule

I have to say 'how true'!! :(