PDA

View Full Version : Under 18 parents

SimplyLucy
19-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I have a parent coming to visit later who is 17.

Is it ok for her to sign the contracts? Will they still be legal if she signs them?

I seem to remember a disscusion about this on our ICP but have forgotten what was said!

I want to be clear incase she decides to sign up whilst she is here (I wish!)

littlesprogs
19-05-2009, 11:21 AM
No she cant sign it has to be someone over 18. She would need her parents or partner? or someone like that to sign then if she doesnt pay the person who signed the contract has responsibility

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 11:24 AM
is she in education? her development workier should be with her and if so its care-to-learn that will pay you,

she should sign the contract as she has legal responsibility,

ring your development worker if she is not in education and check with them but im sure im right hun xxx

SimplyLucy
19-05-2009, 11:26 AM
She isn't in education, she is going back to work.

She is very independant and a confident mother. It's going to feel really awkward if I have to ask her to get someone else to sign the contract.

pinklady
19-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I think under 18's can sign certain contracts depending on what sort it is but I haven't got a clue if a childminding contract is the sort minors can sign. IYSWIM

I would call NCMA and check with them.

I hope she does want to sign straight away! good luck!:thumbsup:

Mrs.L.C
19-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I was 17 when I had my daughter and personally if I went to see a childminder and they had asked me to get someone over 18 to sign the contract for my child, id be deeply upset & offended.

I dont see any difference between a parents of 17 or 30 years of age. Things like not paying on time, not turning up on time etc can happen regardless of age.

If the parent was under 16 then I would get someone over 18 to sign the contract but not over

I would advise you just check with your insurer to make sure you are covered but this would be the only reason that you may need someone over 18 to also sign the contract

Blackhorse
19-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't think she should feel offended.
If there are legal requirements for certain things then a parent should be mature enough to handle that fact even if they are under 18.

There are many things you officially can't do until you are 18, 21 etc. that's just how life is these days.

I agree with you that there is no difference for not paying issues etc etc whether someone is 17 or 30, but if you need to be of a certain age to sign contracts than I would ask her to get someone else to sign. (if it is not a legal requirement I would be ok for her to sign...)

Mrs.L.C
19-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree with you that there is no difference for not paying issues etc etc whether someone is 17 or 30, but if you need to be of a certain age to sign contracts than I would ask her to get someone else to sign. (if it is not a legal requirement I would be ok for her to sign...)

This is what I mean. If it was for legal reason then you could understand but for it just being an age thing then I would be offended. Hope that makes more sense

Blackhorse
19-05-2009, 12:07 PM
This is what I mean. If it was for legal reason then you could understand but for it just being an age thing then I would be offended. Hope that makes more sense

completely agree with you!!

Blue Boy
19-05-2009, 04:27 PM
is she in education? her development workier should be with her and if so its care-to-learn that will pay you,

she should sign the contract as she has legal responsibility,

ring your development worker if she is not in education and check with them but im sure im right hun xxx

Totally agree:thumbsup: We have had several young mums who have returned to full time education. Care to Learn will pay upto £160 per week and it goes straight into your bank account:thumbsup:

Hope this helps?
lots of love

Mick xx

TheBTeam
19-05-2009, 04:32 PM
The care-to-learn scheme is a useful thing to become involved with, i have a lo two days a week on this scheme for a young mum, she signed my contracts, wasn't too worried about the 18 issue because care to learn were paying, but i think i remember that you should have a guarantor sign the contract for any under 18's because if they didn't then you couldn't sue for non payment, hence no problem when care to learn pay!

SimplyLucy
19-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Mum and baby have been.....they were lovely!

Contracts are all filled in for an August start :clapping: :clapping:

Mum will be 18 in 3 weeks time so she is going to pop in after that and sign everything, just to make sure. She was really cool with that and didn't take any offence at all.

Yippeeeeeeeeeee I'll have a 9 month old, my first baby since I've been a childminder. I'm so excited!:D

angeldelight
19-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Mum and baby have been.....they were lovely!

Contracts are all filled in for an August start :clapping: :clapping:

Mum will be 18 in 3 weeks time so she is going to pop in after that and sign everything, just to make sure. She was really cool with that and didn't take any offence at all.

Yippeeeeeeeeeee I'll have a 9 month old, my first baby since I've been a childminder. I'm so excited!:D

Thats great news Lucy

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Well done to you

Angel xx

Blackhorse
19-05-2009, 05:04 PM
congratulations!! well done!!

:thumbsup: :clapping:

Minstrel
19-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Congratualtions on the contract Lucy! :thumbsup:

OrlandoBelle