PDA

View Full Version : I START WORK AT 6AM AND PARENT KNOCKING AT THE DOOR AT 5.45

Ben10mad
19-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Is there any other mad childminders out there that start work at this time lol.
E gets dropped off at 6am for two days a week and picked up at 4pm, the last two days parent has had a taxi into work(she normally has alift) and been banging on the door at 5.45am!!!!! waking the whole house up!!
I only get out of bed at 5.45 as i only have to get dressed and have a wash befor he comes but thats taking the mick isn't it?
No sorry im early!!!
Monday i was still in my pj's when she turned up, i wasnt happy. and yesturday she said i mite be abit early in morning because i hae to catch a taxi!!

sorry had to moan :(

atmkids
19-05-2009, 08:26 AM
That's very rude. I think you should have a quiet word and explain that your contract states you start at 6am so please don't knock on the door before that. After all if she'd asked you to start at 5.45 you might not have agreed to it :(

louloudi
19-05-2009, 08:28 AM
How frustrating,, do they realise how precious 15 mins are!!!!

I'd drop major hints, or just tell her you don't open till 6AM!!!! either that or just don't answer the door till your opening times I know loads of nurseries that do this!!:laughing:

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 08:29 AM
If parents want us to work in the middle of the ruddy night then they should pay for it "Extra"

i try not to see 6 twice in one day hun my alarm goes off at 6.45 and i get up just b4 7am and that is early enough.

marjie b
19-05-2009, 08:31 AM
I too am mental and sometimes start work at 545 but Im lucky as this is for a close friend and I do answer my door in pj's!!

I personally would tell her that regardless of the fact she is catching a taxi, this is taking the micky as she is waking everybody else up and you are not ready for her.

I would also say you will be invoicing her from 530 for the days she turned up early as it was an inconvenience to you, (charged at double time !)
Its bad enough we have to get up at this unearthly time without ppl taking advantage, shows our commitment to the job too!

good luck hun...x

wendywu
19-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I would have a text ready on mobile to send " not decent yet down in 15 min" send that when she knocks and dont open the door until 6.:mad:

Mouse
19-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I had something similar (though nowhere near as early!) with one parent. The start time was 8am, but she started to get earlier & earlier - some mornings it could be 7.40am. They only lived 5 minutes away, so there was no excuse to leave that early.

I tried various hints, but nothing worked. In the end I asked her if she wanted to change her start time as she was always early. She said it was because her work hours had changed, so she needed to bring her daughter early. She hadn't though to tell me :angry:

I hope you get it sorted as it really does start to niggle at you.

angeldelight
19-05-2009, 08:47 AM
NO NO NO :angry:

I have started this early in the past and would not be happy about someone arriving even earlier it is damn rude

I have had the same problems with parents though for ages

Their time is 8am and they arrive any time from 7.40

Last year I stopped answering the door to them and left them standing till 8am
They said I was late answering I told them " They were early and their contract time is 8 so that is when I will answer the door "

It worked for a bit but then they go back to coming early again

Last week it was raining and they arrived at 7.45 I am afraid to say that I was very mean and left them there outside till 8
They have not done it since they have arrived on time

You need to be strong you already start early enough

Ask her if she wants to change her contract time because she arrives early - then at least you will get paid for it
Tell her you will not answer your door till 6 and that she will have to wait at the door if she is early because you are getting yourself ready

Think of yourself the longer you let this go on for the madder you are going to get

I really feel for you it took me ages and ages to make a stand but I felt better for it

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

michellethegooner
19-05-2009, 08:48 AM
i would say something as u are working early enough as it is :eek: i dont drag myself out of bed till 7.30 & that is early enough,

would also charge her from 5.30 at double time for unsocial hrs....

it would really bug me, happened to me couple of times, and I put it straight but again still not that early.

no work today for me lol so might have a little siesta in a while :clapping: dont worry I will think/dream of all of you working really hard lol:laughing:

michellethegooner
19-05-2009, 08:51 AM
NO NO NO :angry:

I have started this early in the past and would not be happy about someone arriving even earlier it is damn rude

I have had the same problems with parents though for ages

Their time is 8am and they arrive any time from 7.40

Last year I stopped answering the door to them and left them standing till 8am
They said I was late answering I told them " They were early and their contract time is 8 so that is when I will answer the door "

It worked for a bit but then they go back to coming early again

Last week it was raining and they arrived at 7.45 I am afraid to say that I was very mean and left them there outside till 8
They have not done it since they have arrived on time
woohooo wtg angel :laughing: :laughing: that will make them think twice

You need to be strong you already start early enough

Ask her if she wants to change her contract time because she arrives early - then at least you will get paid for it
Tell her you will not answer your door till 6 and that she will have to wait at the door if she is early because you are getting yourself ready

Think of yourself the longer you let this go on for the madder you are going to get

I really feel for you it took me ages and ages to make a stand but I felt better for it

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

it makes you mad when they do things like this :angry: you have to put foot down at some time just because we not a school or nursery dont mean we cant keep them out :clapping:

louised
19-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I personally wouldn't answer the door, my door would be locked at that time in the morning and i wouldn't come down until I was dressed, I'd probably shout out the window and tell them I wasn't dressed yet

Lady Haha
19-05-2009, 09:35 AM
OOOOhhhhh!! Poor you! As some one said earlier, nurseries don't open early as I have found out from experience! They don't even open the door to say you're too early, they just ignore you til they open!

I think you need to tell her that if she needs you to start that early, then you will be charging double from 5.30 as others have said. At least you are giving her the option then and not just leaving her standing outside and causing a 'rift'! The extra it will cost her to do that will probably have her arriving at 6am again!

I have a mindee who I take to school every day and his mum nearly always drops him off five mins before we leave at 8.30am, sometimes, he's getting out of her car and getting straight into mine, she's so late! Then about a month ago, the doorbell rang at 7.30am and it was them! I was still in jim jams and hair everywhere! I was so shocked to see her that early, I just ushered him in and said goodbye. But what annoyed me was her son then said 'mummy said you were going to be shocked today!' Like she must've thought it was funny! Luckily she hasn't done it since.

I don't think they realise sometimes that we get ready in time for the expected arrival, we are not sitting there from 4am all dressed and made up waiting just in case some one decides to come early!

pinklady
19-05-2009, 09:52 AM
That's just too :angry: :angry: :angry: for words!

I would have to say something or charge ridiculous amounts for the extra time. Then it'll be cheaper to sit and wait in the taxi!

I have to be really careful to remember to open all the curtains in my house as mindees mum wont knock if they're closed!

michellethegooner
19-05-2009, 10:54 AM
That's just too :angry: :angry: :angry: for words!

I would have to say something or charge ridiculous amounts for the extra time. Then it'll be cheaper to sit and wait in the taxi!

I have to be really careful to remember to open all the curtains in my house as mindees mum wont knock if they're closed!
wow lucky you mine would break the door in, never mind check if curtains are open or closed lol

angeldelight
19-05-2009, 10:57 AM
If our curtains are closed parent shouts through the letter box

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

wendywu
19-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Just text them and say you have just got out of the shower and are not dressed yet.:angry:

pinklady
19-05-2009, 11:13 AM
wow lucky you mine would break the door in, never mind check if curtains are open or closed lol

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bec123
19-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I started at 7am this morning- I thought that was early!!! I wouldn't have answered the door. I had this happen one morning when children were supposed to arrive at 7 but they knocked at 6.45. I told my husband not to answer the door until 7! Some people!!!:mad:

charleyfarley
19-05-2009, 11:50 AM

Mine too, I have to get to the door before them as I'm sure mindee kicks it :angry:

Mine turned up early on Monday so this morning I left the lock on the gate until their contract time :D

I think your parents have a damn cheek, you are doing them a favour at starting so early anyway but for them to turn up even earlier is taking the mick.

You do need to say something as it will carry on and you will get more angry about it the longer it goes on. Good luck :thumbsup:

Carol xx

FizzysFriends
19-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I would say that as there are other people in the house that are asleep can she not knock or ring the bell but you will open the door at childs start time.

huggableshelly
19-05-2009, 12:07 PM
i have my porch unlocked so parents can stand in there if needed.

i start at 7:30 but will open the door at 7:20 no earlier, myone parent calls to say she will be early so i am prepared for that but other days she will arrive at 7:10 and just stands and waits ........ even if i am in the kitchen i refuse to answer the door so early.

once my hubby was just getting in from nights and parent was in the prch .. he let parent and child in and said you can wait in the lounge dont leave child as noone is here to look after him yet!

The Juggler
19-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Good for him! I thought I was badly off with parent arriving at 7.25 when it was 7.30 start time. I thought I just had 5 mins to finish my cuppa and watch the news. It's really annoying.

cassie63
19-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I have a similar problem with a parent who regulaly brings child 5 to 10 mins later than her contracted time and thinks its then fine to pick up later to make up for it. These parents hav a cheek.

georgie456
19-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm getting cross for you all just reading!!! I am stunned that someone would bang on someone's door at 5.45am (but sadly not surprised!!!)

I have the other problem - one of mine is always late and has started making my daughter late for school despite lots of reminders :angry: Today I'd had enough and just left for school without her child.
10 minutes later, I received a sheepish call on my mobile asking if I was in because she was ringing my doorbell and I wasn't answering! She had to come to the school try and find parking then find me which made her late for work, so I am expecting her to be on time tomorrow :D

Marion7
19-05-2009, 01:09 PM
The problem is that if you decide to charge double time they may just start turning up with the money earlier and earlier as has happened to me!! :angry: :angry:
The best way to deal with it would be to ask for an official chat/appointment then tell her that you feel she's taking you and your service for granted.
Then if she continues to abuse your service give her notice stating the reason why - no one deserves to be treated like that and as others have said she wouldn't get away with it anywhere else.
Keep strong!!!

OrlandoBelle
19-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I personally wouldn't answer the door, my door would be locked at that time in the morning and i wouldn't come down until I was dressed, I'd probably shout out the window and tell them I wasn't dressed yet

Louise, I'm so jealous, you're going to florida before us! We've got 37 days, 23 hours, 44 minutes and 23 seconds according to The Dibb! Lol.

I agree, I would tell her i'm not dressed yet. I also like Wendywu's text idea!:)

Demonjill
19-05-2009, 02:17 PM
OMG No wonder you are:angry: :angry:

Trouble is if you change her time to start earlier she might then turn up EVEN earlier :eek: and if you charge her then even though she is paying more its not really highlighting the fact that its just TOO early.
I agree also tell her to stop banging the door, others are sleeping etc

Could you also say that you cant take her in earlier for insurance reasons?

I would do all of the above!! LOL:D

her8y
19-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I would have a text ready on mobile to send " not decent yet down in 15 min" send that when she knocks and dont open the door until 6.:mad:

I am with Wendywu on this one. Like the im in the shower. Wish I had thought of this when I had this problem.

I eventually bit the bullet and said it was having a negative effect on myself and my family and that I would not under any circumstances answer the door before contract time. Parent was surprised but listened:thumbsup: Said she hadnt thought 15 mins would cause a prob (was usually 6.15 instead of 6.45):censored:

Toothfairy
19-05-2009, 04:42 PM
6AM ARE YOU MAD!!!!!!
My eyes don't even focus until 7.30am :D

Chatterbox Childcare
19-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I think the main issue here is that she wakes the whole house up. Tomorrow I would ask her in the morning to make time to come and chat when she collects. I would discuss her requirements and explain that you are not insured to start until the contracted time and if she wants you to be ready for 5.45 then the contracts need changing and the price will be £.... (at least an hour for this). I am sure she will say "no it is okay" and then you say "in that case I will be down to open my door at 6.00am as agreed, so please do not bang on it beforehand as you wake my family".

if she continutes - give notice... there won't be many who are willing to do these hours - in fact you are the only one I know.

childmind04
19-05-2009, 06:00 PM
I think what Debbie has just said is so true and i think you need to remind the parents that you are doing them a huge favour at starting at that time :)

I have had the same problem with a 7am start, one of my neighbours complained though when i refused to answer the door as she let her son run riot in the street and bang my gates for the 10 minutes, i had so many words with her but she never took it in :eek:

He has been on 8am starts and i am dreading him going back to 7am as i hate it after doing it for so long :panic:

I will never do it again

Alibali
19-05-2009, 06:25 PM
What a cheek, and poor child. I don't answer the door until contract start time (7.50) any time before this they're left standing, rain hail or snow!

Ripeberry
19-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm just thinking, the poor child, having to get up so early. Does the child have a sleep again when they get in your house :eek:

Lady Haha
19-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm getting cross for you all just reading!!! I am stunned that someone would bang on someone's door at 5.45am (but sadly not surprised!!!)

I have the other problem - one of mine is always late and has started making my daughter late for school despite lots of reminders :angry: Today I'd had enough and just left for school without her child.
10 minutes later, I received a sheepish call on my mobile asking if I was in because she was ringing my doorbell and I wasn't answering! She had to come to the school try and find parking then find me which made her late for work, so I am expecting her to be on time tomorrow :D

I've been doing this with one of my parents! At least one day every week I leave without her child! I've been doing since the start though, so she knows it's gonna happen! I explained to her as soon as I realised that her child getting out of her car and straight into mine was a regular thing, that I am paid to get all the children I look after to school on time and I leave at 8.30am and if she isn't here by then I will leave without him. I often see her scurrying up to the school gates with him after I've dropped everyone off, cos she's had to bring him herself! Still charge her for it though!

Jelly Baby
20-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi this is so annoying isn't it! I have had some parents like this and it really does wind me up at times! I have a morning job before i even start childminding and work from 5-30 till 8am, i then jump in the car and am home at about 8.10am on average..i am supposed to start at 8.30am to do the school runs and more than often i will have been in the house 5 mins and the bell will go..our bedorrm is 2 floors up so i am semi dressed rushing down the stairs to answer..the others turn up late so we all end up being late.

I solved this by speaking to them about it face to face and doing new policies and highlighting my hours and explaining my other job etc and how i would appreciate that 15/20 mins just to get semi orgonised..have the odd blip but least they now apologise which helps!

RedDragon
20-05-2009, 05:06 PM
My monthly newsletter would have an A4 page just to tackle this problem - it would be in large letters and in red ink.

nic76
13-09-2009, 11:49 AM
how awful. i would never start at that time but if i did i would charge double up till at least 7.30am

i start at 7.30 so get up at 7am couldnt do it any earlier.

dreading the winter months when it is dark outside and still feels like the middle of the night.

you really must put a stop to this.

The Juggler
13-09-2009, 12:22 PM
If parents want us to work in the middle of the ruddy night then they should pay for it "Extra"

i try not to see 6 twice in one day hun my alarm goes off at 6.45 and i get up just b4 7am and that is early enough.

ditto! but, if you've agreed to six I would tell her if the taxi's early would she mind waiting outside until 6am. I hope you're charging a higher fee before 0800am!

gegele
13-09-2009, 01:24 PM
it's one of the things I insisted on when we talked policies and all that. I said I don't do drop in BEFORE time unless on of the parent is nearly dead and need to be dropped to hospital really fast!!:laughing: !! it's a question of principal! if i was tesco i wouldn't let them in so why should i open my door!??

this is the bit that annoy me when people think well she's home anyway!!! well there are people in pub before opening time yet the doors are closed! same for shops and even CHURCHES!!!! so why oh why should we open our doors earlier??

put a sign on the door: this door will not be opened before 6!! :angry:

rickysmiths
13-09-2009, 01:47 PM
E gets dropped off at 6am for two days a week and picked up at 4pm, the last two days parent has had a taxi into work(she normally has alift) and been banging on the door at 5.45am!!!!! waking the whole house up!!
I only get out of bed at 5.45 as i only have to get dressed and have a wash befor he comes but thats taking the mick isn't it?
No sorry im early!!!
Monday i was still in my pj's when she turned up, i wasnt happy. and yesturday she said i mite be abit early in morning because i hae to catch a taxi!!

I feel sorry for this parent. She shouldn't have banged on the door I agree, but taxis, especially early in the morning can have a tendency to turn up early and the meter was running.

It doesn't sound as if the parent has ever done this before and all I would do is quietly have pointed out the first day that it would be helpful if she could not bang on the door quite so hard.

She must ring the bell when she arrives at six, does this disturb the whole house? or are you standing on the doorstep waiting so she doesn't have to ring the bell?

I would get upset and speak to a parent if they were this early every day. The same as I would with a parent who was continually late.

manjay
13-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I sincerely hope you have sorted this by now Ben10mad:laughing: I would be demented if it were still happening:D

mushpea
13-09-2009, 02:34 PM
i have this too , parent turns up at 7.45am insted of 8am would say somthing but hes very easy and happy and she pays me till 6pm but never picks up later 5.30pm so i just sort of let it go and smile through gritted teeth as i opend the door.

Curly Quavers
13-09-2009, 05:27 PM
No sorry im early!!!

I think you need to put her in her place 6am is early enough and she is taking the you know what!

Minstrel
13-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Strange that this thread has been revived because i had this exact problem this week.

I am looking after a 2yr old for 2 weeks only as they have been dropped in it by their minder. They said that out of the two weeks there would be 4 6am starts. Thats fine i can manage 4 early mornings.

First morning and i set my alarm for 5.30am just putting kettle on and door knocks (quietly thank goodness!) at 5.42am. Said i was surprised, thought it was 6am start and she said 'oh yes but thats what time I start work'

Second morning I was prepared for just before 6. Again alarm went off at half 5 and I was just waking up when I heard the knock at the door!!! 5.32 am and i had to come down in my jammies. I did get a sorry but i wasnt happy.

Tomorrow will be the third early start and i'm dreading what time it will actually be but i refuse to set the alarm for any earlier!

P.s its at normal rate too!

Chatterbox Childcare
13-09-2009, 07:44 PM
How awful - I would say that you will not be answering the door any earlier than 6am abd ask her to get the taxi to collect her 15 mins later than she has been leaving.

Alternatvely, say that you need to change the contract if she is coming at this time and say that the fee will go up by £... a week and add an hour a day on.

Twinkles
13-09-2009, 08:15 PM
P.s its at normal rate too!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mississmoomoo
13-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I would definately start charging as you are working in unsociable hours so I would charge £5 for every 15 minutes they turn up early. If you give them a letter with it in writing on the new charges they will soon stop doing it.

emmadines
14-09-2009, 07:30 PM
that awful, go knock on her door and ask for a cuppa at 4am and see how she likes it, she said 6am and should be sticking to it, i just about manage to stare into my cuppa at 6.30 let alone any earlier, I did have a mindee for a little bit arriving at 6.45 (by arrangement) and it was awful - I don't think mum got any sense out of me at all lol anything she needed to tell me she had to tell me later lol

mabel
15-09-2009, 08:35 AM
don't you just wish you had a long driveway with electric gates and an intercom, then you could keep 'em waiting !

candy cat
15-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I would be annoyed !!!! Sorry if repeating what someone else has said,but couldn't you say that as your contract states 6am then you are not allowed to accept child at 5.45am.How would you stand regarding insurance ??? I am sure they would query the contract if something happened in these 15 mins.......you no what insurance companies are like!!! I know at schools you can't drop children off before certain time as they are only insured during school hours....maybe wrong,but you could use as an excuse cx

~Chelle~
15-09-2009, 09:29 PM
My newbies are meant to arrive at 7am and the last few times they have been rolling up at 6.45am. I'd had enough and said to the mum "blimey you are early, any earlier and you could have brought me a cup of tea in bed", funnily enough she now comes at precisely 7am now :laughing:

wendywu
15-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I want to know just where you lot find these parents. :panic:

I have been sooooo lucky over the last 12 years, these posts just amaze me sometimes :eek: