PDA

View Full Version : fire fire

Helen Dempster
18-05-2009, 10:28 PM
how do you all practice your fire evacuation drills? I have a 3 yr old and 2yr old mindee, plus my own 2 year old son. Do you practice different types/ways - ie, leaving through the front door and then another one where you leave from the back door etc? Do you practice in all weather or just on nice sunny days?

huggableshelly
19-05-2009, 06:41 AM
lol i am really mean to my mindees

the day we had all that snow school was closed i had a housefull all shoeless and all watching the snow out the back lounge.

oops the smoke alarm went off .......... i ran round to the back with the children and off we went all shoeless to our metting point!

BUT I only had one under 5 who i carried, the others all got wet and cold but still we did it in good timing and safely.

you need to practice from all exits at differ times of the day (i've done it at meal times too) but i understand it s harder with so many little ones. providing you do it in a safe mannor without carrying them all as you have to think of your back too then its ok and remember to log which escape route you used too.

Pipsqueak
19-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I have done it at mealtimes too!! lol - cruel aren't I:D

We use the different exits

manjay
19-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I do it at different times, doing different activities, in any weather, with different children so they all get a go and through different exits

Lady Haha
19-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I have to admit to only doing one exit and at times when the kids are playing. The other exit is the front door which leads onto a very busy road. We all go out the patio doors and head up to the end of the garden and stand at the fence. They are really good and the older ones have even read my 'evacuation procedure' and know it off by heart now, ie; if Janis doesn't come to the door, go out without her!

We had an unexpected fire drill the other day which proved to me how good they all are! I was cooking in the oven and when I opened it a great load of smoke came out (something burning on bottom of oven) and the smoke alarm went off. I had six kids here dotted about and every single one of them immediately stopped what they were doing and went to the patio doors! I was so impressed because I've never used the smoke alarm for the planned drills, I just shout 'FIRE DRILL' really loud!

I felt sooooooo proud of them!

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 10:03 AM
:panic: oh dear i hate fire practice it never goes right lol
i mentioned on ere a few times my disasters i'd still be stuck in the play room now if i didnt give up and put new harnesses on the prams..

it did tell me a lot about what i need to change and the parents still dont provide indoor shoes so the Lo's have to go outside in stocking feet...

i never remember everything once i left my bag with all contact details and my mobile coz i was carrying two small children,,,

can i ask ,, safeguarding confidiantiality question,,,

Could i leave person information eg names tel nos. with a neighbour incase of a fire or if im in an accident ,,,in a sealed envalope for example? or is this a no no,,

i use to with one friend accross the rd as she was another cm and i did the same for her but she's moved away..

sweets
19-05-2009, 11:47 AM
i probably don't do my fire drills often enough, but 3 and 4 year old i have know what the smoke alarm is and why it goes off, It went off the other day while cooking and one of them shouted to me ' is it a fire or the toast!' (i suppose its not funny really)
I do do a proper one now and again and always document it, i know you are supposed to do when you have diffeent children present but i have a 22mnth old that is terriefied of loud noises ( she lies on floor if a plane flies past) so i won't do it with her around,as she wouldn't understand what it is for anyway!